Bostons LTC Restrictions.

So I have an LTC in Boston it expires in 2022 I got it when I hit 21 im now 24. A year after getting the LTC I got a job that requires me to carry. I got a letter from the boss went to BPD and instead of removing my restrictions like the boss asked they added an employment restriction on top of my hunting and target. Boss agreed to still hire me and I worked for them for about a year until I started college to get my degree in criminal justice. I really want my restrictions removed has anybody here had any luck getting them removed? I even had a very nicely written letter written by the owner of the shop in Springfield and BPD completely ignored it. I contacted them and few months later they call me back and basically told me they will not remove the restrictions and basically said its because of im, not a doctor, lawyer,judge or wealthy and that was the LT who told me that too. If you managed to get them removed what did you do to do it?

Yikes. Spring for the $300 NRA course, get your MA State Police instructor cert for $50, send copies of both to Boston PD with a letter explaining you transport guns to teach classes and are at higher risk of crime.

said its because of im, not a doctor, lawyer,judge or wealthy

I would have asked how wealthy I needed to be.
Do I need a law degree, or do I have to pass the Bar exam as well?
Do I have to be a medical doctor or would any old doctoral degree do the job?

I mean, if they are setting criteria we should be specific .

Will Boston not renew without restrictions like Brookline? Or is it Newton that does that?
Boston will renew without restrictions if you already have an unrestricted LTC. Not sure aboout what happens if you renew when you already have the JV version of the LTC.

Brookline will add restrictions when renewing an unrestricted permit unless you are LEO, former LEO or connected.

I would have asked how wealthy I needed to be.
Do I need a law degree, or do I have to pass the Bar exam as well?
Do I have to be a medical doctor or would any old doctoral degree do the job?

I mean, if they are setting criteria we should be specific .

You could always ask for their written official policy on who gets restrictions.

^ that was a joke

Yikes. Spring for the $300 NRA course, get your MA State Police instructor cert for $50

Does anyone know if this would work in Medford as well?

YI myself would just carry anyway.

Silver lining is that carrying on a restricted LTC is civil (a fine) not criminal, though I would expect to have your LTC be revoked in that situation.

yes he literally did he was a bit rude on the phone and seemed like he didn't want to talk to me
Steven Tyler and Joe Perry (Aerosmith), who spent most of their adult lives stoned on illegal drugs and freely admit it, got unrestricted LTCs in Boston and NYC. I believe you when you mentioned that he told you that. The lives of the rich and famous are infinitely more valuable than the lives of us peons.

basically told me they will not remove the restrictions and basically said its because of im, not a doctor, lawyer,judge or wealthy and that was the LT who told me that too.

Oh, wow. You got my blood boiled now, I can tell you that.
I would lawyer up. IANAL, but it sounds like a great lawsuit. Urrgghhh, the chutzpa of people "Selction" and categorization. Unreal.

I would lawyer up. IANAL, but it sounds like a great lawsuit. Urrgghhh, the chutzpa of people "Selction" and categorization. Unreal.
Can't lawyer up unless they put it in writing. Which they obviously know. It's just like when they told me that I can carry with my restricted license and just pretend that I'm "hunting crows" but when I asked them to put that in writing they refused.

OP - I got unrestricted in Boston by becoming a safety instructor (doesn't have to be NRA btw). Good luck.

Thank g-d I live in a green town now.

So I have an LTC in Boston it expires in 2022 I got it when I hit 21 im now 24. A year after getting the LTC I got a job that requires me to carry. I got a letter from the boss went to BPD and instead of removing my restrictions like the boss asked they added an employment restriction on top of my hunting and target. Boss agreed to still hire me and I worked for them for about a year until I started college to get my degree in criminal justice. I really want my restrictions removed has anybody here had any luck getting them removed? I even had a very nicely written letter written by the owner of the shop in Springfield and BPD completely ignored it. I contacted them and few months later they call me back and basically told me they will not remove the restrictions and basically said its because of im, not a doctor, lawyer,judge or wealthy and that was the LT who told me that too. If you managed to get them removed what did you do to do it?
If they actually put that in writing, sounds like clear evidence that their restrictions are arbitrary and capricious. They are admitting that only a privileged few are given permission. That, I would assume, violates the letter of even MA law.
But it will cost less just to GTFO from Boston.

If they actually put that in writing, sounds like clear evidence that their restrictions are arbitrary and capricious. They are admitting that only a privileged few are given permission. That, I would assume, violates the letter of even MA law.
But it will cost less just to GTFO from Boston.

Which is why they will not put it in writing, and if you recorded the phone conversation where they clearly stated it you would not be allowed to use it as any sort of evidence and would also be arrested for illegal wiretapping. They know what they are doing, and they don't care about you or your rights because you have no power to stop them or do anything to even slightly annoy them.

Which is why they will not put it in writing, and if you recorded the phone conversation where they clearly stated it you would not be allowed to use it as any sort of evidence and would also be arrested for illegal wiretapping. They know what they are doing, and they don't care about you or your rights because you have no power to stop them or do anything to even slightly annoy them.

YOU might not be able to record, but THEY can (and do). Are the police phone lines recorded? File a FOIA request for the recordings of your call with the licensing officer.

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Why is anyone surprised by this? We all knew an unrestricted LTC from Boston required connections.

Frankly when it comes to Boston and other f***head douche towns, people need to just drive around these f***ers and not deal with them, and get their
creds elsewhere. And then they're free to live in the city (or not) and not get f***ed with. Faking a move is cheaper than dealing with their BS.

-Mike

How does he know you are not wealthy?

Is it because you didnt write a nice donation to them?

Or is it because you didnt provide your bank statements?

Can't lawyer up unless they put it in writing. Which they obviously know. It's just like when they told me that I can carry with my restricted license and just pretend that I'm "hunting crows" but when I asked them to put that in writing they refused.

OP - I got unrestricted in Boston by becoming a safety instructor (doesn't have to be NRA btw). Good luck.

Thank g-d I live in a green town now.
PM me if there is a cheaper option than NRA.

I have an unrestricted LTC, but will have to renew in Boston in like 2-3 years.

I dont trust they will just renew it as unrestricted.

Ask him where in the 2nd it mentions that....kidding don't do it. thats how it should go, but we all know blah, blah, blah

I would lawyer up. IANAL, but it sounds like a great lawsuit.
You're obviously new to this game. It doesn't work that way.

Gould v. Morgan challenged the restrictions based in part on equal protection. It only took 8 months in district court to lose; a 3 month gap; and then another 8 months for the 1st Federal Circuit court to uphold the district court's summary judgment. SCOTUS cert has been applied for so we have the usual 1% chance to have the case heard in that forum. If SOCTUS hears it, they may see the April 1 filing date and respond with "nice joke fellas".

Remember, you are not just arguing the law but asking the court to change long-established public policy that the powerful people seem quite happy with.

PM me if there is a cheaper option than NRA.

I have an unrestricted LTC, but will have to renew in Boston in like 2-3 years.

I don't trust they will just renew it as unrestricted.

Boston doesn't seem to take away privs from washed people anymore, at least as of several years ago. A friend of mine renewed there a couple years ago and had no trouble.

-Mike

YOU might not be able to record, but THEY can (and do). Are the police phone lines recorded? File a FOIA request for the recordings of your call with the licensing officer.
Not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure if you clearly announce at the beginning of a conversation that you are recording the conversation it is perfectly legal to do so. Of course the other person can always decline to be recorded in which case it would not be legal, or they may simply hang up.

SCOTUS ruled that it is completely legal to record public officials doing their public duties without telling them. So, always put them on speaker and record every call with PD.

Not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure if you clearly announce at the beginning of a conversation that you are recording the conversation it is perfectly legal to do so. Of course the other person can always decline to be recorded in which case it would not be legal, or they may simply hang up.
No need to do so with public officials. The MA law got thrown out on appeal after a guy got arrested for reporting harassment by a police officer to the PD. They arrested him when he played the recording of the harassment. If I recall correctly it was in Brookline.

Back
Top Bottom