• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought a Mini14, need a scope. Suggestions?

So, bought the gun from a member here, took it shooting the other day, DAMN my eyes are old. I really, REALLY need a scope. I'm consistent, but a dinner plate size group group at 50 yards with irons just means I can't see what I'm "aiming" at. So, need a scope...

Google and multiple reviews have me pretty much landed on the Nikon P-223 3-9x40 Mate BDC 600 for around $145 on Amazon. Cabela's apparently stocks it at $99 right now. Yes, before I actually BUY I'll shop around...

I plan to shoot this between 100-200 yards, no farther, almost exclusively range, not hunting or field.

So, talk me OUT of this scope, or IN to another. Also, what's the best way to mount WHATEVER I buy on the Mini?

Ultimak Rail & Bushnell TRS-25. Will lower 3rd co-witness with the stock sights. Replacing the rear iron sights with Tech-Sights is good idea. While installing the handguard rail, it's also a good idea to swap out the stock gas port bushing for a .50 and put a 1911 buffer pad behind the guide spring against the recoil bushing to make the action less violent and soft shooting like an AR platform.

If you're really inclined the front sight can be replaced with a base which will accept any M1A/M14 sights, to allow you to use taller USGI sights for a true co-witness, tritium night sights, or thinner blade National Match sights.

I'd also recommend spending 10 bucks to get a stripper clip guide to save a lot of money on proprietary magazines.
See this thread:Mini14/30 580+ series stripper clip guide in development

PerfectUnion forums are also THE GO TO place for mini14 information.

Edit: link to the storefront for the M1/M14 replacement front sight dovetails and the stripper clip guides is here:
Cogburn Arsenal

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom