• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought Nagant M44, Has Cracked Stock

So I bought a Nagant M44 carbine and got it in the other day. I noticed that the stock was cracked/split where the stock meets the end of the receiver. It was nailed back together in two places and looks like they sanded down the nails. While I'm sure there is some crazy back story about why this happened may even be a wwII. I don't think I want to shoot it with this stock.

So, what's the best place for me to find a period correct stock? I poked around on Gunbroker nothing much there. I've also seen a lot of new synthetic ones which isn't what I'm looking for.

Anyone know of a good supply of stocks anywhere?

i would take your broken stock if you wanted to get rid of it.

as for a period replacement - IMHO you might be out of luck.
in past 3-4 years i have not seen a single half-descent m44 stock without action attached to it. and i need it myself.

maybe you can come across one if you are vigilantly searching ebay, GB, forums, online gunstores but this can take month if not more.
I personally ran out of patience after 4 month of intense searching.

i did see some 91/30 stocks at apex. if you want to mess with cutting it down etc, but i doubt it.

your best bet is probably having old one duplicated or professionally repaired. there is actually a place in Framingham that specialize in this kind of stuff. can't remember what they call themselves, but they do very nice job, although not cheap.

BTW if repair was made at the arsenal during refurbishing process, then it would be threaded rod, not nails. it's glued and then screwed together tight.
if it is arsenal work, i'd say you could be ok, as long as there is no obvious signs of crack growing and deteriorating.

Last edited:
If that were my rifle I'd take it to the range, put a hockey mask on and put some rounds through it. If after 20-30 rounds there are no signs of the crack getting bigger or the "nails" walking out, I'd take the hockey mask off and continue to shoot the hell out of it, burning off some cosmo while you're at it. ;)

You could get one of these
http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Mosin-Nagant-7-62x54R-Monte/dp/B000HOT2SK
although you might have to shorten the fore end for the carbine-length barrel.

So I bought a Nagant M44 carbine and got it in the other day. I noticed that the stock was cracked/split where the stock meets the end of the receiver. It was nailed back together in two places and looks like they sanded down the nails. While I'm sure there is some crazy back story about why this happened may even be a wwII. I don't think I want to shoot it with this stock.

So, what's the best place for me to find a period correct stock? I poked around on Gunbroker nothing much there. I've also seen a lot of new synthetic ones which isn't what I'm looking for.

Anyone know of a good supply of stocks anywhere?

Is this a Chinese M53 model? if so they are mostly being sold with cracked stocks. if its a Russian and was repaired the worst possible place to have a crack is at the tang. Not so much for safety, remember the rear screw attaches to the magazine.

An ATI stock will fit with no modifications.

As to finding a replacement, I have a M38 stock however some bubba cut a notch to accommodate a bent bolt. What a dolt!!!! As to finding a M44 stock or a M53 good luck. They are scarce and if you do find one you will wind up paying more for the stock than you did for the rifle.

If your that worried about the stock buy an ATI.

Pictures would help as well to see how much damage there is.

I have a 91 that has a nail repair at the tang and I have shot hundreds of rounds and it has not continued to crack. I know some folks remove the nails, open the area and use a strong glue, guerrilla glue, and then refinish the stock. With some colored wood puddy they came out pretty darn nice considering what they looked like before. But if your not into wood working etc. ........buy the ATI stock.

I do have to ask ....why did you buy it ???? if you knew it was a cracked stock it was a crap shoot. Most folks buy the cracked stock rifles with the intent of replacing the stock and sporterizing the rifle.

Either way good luck, it may turn out fine.

Last edited:
Hah I might just rework it then if it's that much to find another. I bought it site unseen from an online dealer with a hand pick option. So I was surprised to see it cracked. The two 91/30's i got were in great condition. As far as i can tell its russian not chinese. I'll throw some pics when I'm able too.

I don't want an ATI stock I'd prefer original wood. So if that means some woodwork then i'm up for it.

if it's Russian arsenal repair, then don't take it apart. arsenal guys do wery good job repairing. also they are professional at what they do in addition to pretty high standards to quality of repair.
pulling it appart and messing with it just might make it worse. I personally wouldn't do it unless repair was falling apart already.

there is a guy on ebay - dakotacliff, that sells very nice stocks including militarily rifle replacements.
he uses very good wood, mostly walnuts and prices are pretty low for the value he provides.
he duplicated an SVT-40 stock for me a couple of years ago and it only cost me about $150 that includes shipping of original stock to and from.
he made it in very nice in claro walnut.
give him a shout and i'm sure he'll be happy to accommodate.

Hah I might just rework it then if it's that much to find another. I bought it site unseen from an online dealer with a hand pick option. So I was surprised to see it cracked. The two 91/30's i got were in great condition. As far as i can tell its russian not chinese. I'll throw some pics when I'm able too.

I don't want an ATI stock I'd prefer original wood. So if that means some woodwork then i'm up for it.

I was looking at one of the major online dealers recently, and considered buying an M44. I went back the next day and they were sold out. I wonder if you got the last one? It seems criminal that they charge you for a handpick when they only have one left.

If the description online did not indicate a cracked stock, I would probably try to get some relief from the seller. Especially if they are a reputable dealer and not some guy on gunbroker.

mclina: yeah, I think we are talking about the same online dealer. The thought had crossed my mind that I got the last one in stock. I think ill shoot them an email.

if it's Russian arsenal repair, then don't take it apart. arsenal guys do wery good job repairing. also they are professional at what they do in addition to pretty high standards to quality of repair.
pulling it appart and messing with it just might make it worse. I personally wouldn't do it unless repair was falling apart already.
+1

View attachment 35437View attachment 35438View attachment 35439View attachment 35440View attachment 35441

here are some pics. The red arrows on the first one show the pins/repair posts. Like I said its cracked.

YIKES!!!!
IMO I would look for a stock. The tang area appears misshapen due to the stock moving while in place. The crack going down the stock will only get worse from the recoil. These carbines kick due to the short barrel.

I will check around and see if I can find one.You may be better off buying an ATI stock for this rifle and buy another. Just MO.

i'd say get a replacement duplicated.
i personally don't like ATI even despite the fact that it is a money saver.
not sure how bayonet on M44 will be working out with ATI stock.

but if you can'r or don't want to dish out another 100-150 on you rifle you can go with ATI
or
consider cutting down 91/30 to m44 length. i'm sure there are how-to's on you tube, it shouldn't be too tough to do.
and you can have a period stock with little work and it'll be in vg to ex condition if you go for a set that apex sells right now.
or
also you can find a junker m44 with crappy metal but good wood and use it as a donor. but this ML will be the costliest endeavor.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't the best thing about a Moisin Nagant that it is actually cheaper to buy a whole new gun than it is to repair the things? There are dealers selling them for $79 (probably not the carbine version, though). Maybe sell the whole gun to a buyer intending to put the sporterized stock on it and then start over with a different gun.

That said, I don't own one of these yet, but I think I'm going to pick one up at a local retailer this summer - if I like it enough I am going to buy a couple of them. Short money to fill up the safe. :)

eBay.

I've bought a few M44 stocks off there. They pop up now and then. Last one I bought a month ago is in great shape too.

There are 2 of them on EBay right now although they don't look so lovely

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
$79 [rofl]
i haven't seen that price for at least year and half.
it is mostly $105-130 for 91/30 and at least $275-300 for M44
plus shipping and transfer if you don't have 03FFL
you *might* snatch something cheaper from 3-rd party - i.e. gun-broker or classifieds on some gunboard but not from mainstream store.
these are have been drying up for a while now.

If anyone is interested I can tell you where they are selling then in NH for $100 - so, yeah, not really the $80 anymore, but still a pretty good deal.

M44 or M53 Chinese have flooded the market. Check E bay. The ATI stock is short enough that when the bayo is closed all you need is remove a small amount of wood.
Let me check the M38 stock I have with the notch in it. It may be a M44 stock, a great number of the stocks on M38 were M44 after refurb.

Here is the stock that has the notch for a bayo. It has a arsenal repair which has no crack. The rest of the stock is solid. If you want to buy it PM me. No upper hand-guard or metal pieces go with it. You can use yours so it will match.

Last edited:
And I just checked - they are now $120 (Awesome Armaments in Winnapesaukee), so my information was way off - inasmuch as a $40 price difference can be considered way off. I apologize for the incorrect information; however, I think my initial point of this being an extremely inexpensive rifle is still fairly valid at $120 each.

Berglemir, I assume it is only the 91/30s - I don't know their price on the carbines or even if they have any.

Carbines tend to be $200-300 or so. 91/38 or 91/59 tend to be around $300. M44 and m38 slightly cheaper.

If you have a C&R you can usually get them at just under $200 shipped. But last m44 I saw in a shop had a $275 price tag on it.

91/30s are still plentiful. $100-140 is the typical range with hex and ex-dragons towards the higher end.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't the best thing about a Moisin Nagant that it is actually cheaper to buy a whole new gun than it is to repair the things? There are dealers selling them for $79 (probably not the carbine version, though). Maybe sell the whole gun to a buyer intending to put the sporterized stock on it and then start over with a different gun.

That said, I don't own one of these yet, but I think I'm going to pick one up at a local retailer this summer - if I like it enough I am going to buy a couple of them. Short money to fill up the safe. :)

Mustang is right. even when at $79, the shipping gets it over $105

mclina: yeah, I think we are talking about the same online dealer. The thought had crossed my mind that I got the last one in stock. I think ill shoot them an email.

It looks like they are back in stock, if we are talking about the same dealer. They are a good dealer. if you did a handpick, you maybe able to send it back for a swap. worth a phone call

40 cal

Sending it back to the distributor for another one is your best bet. Should only cost about $15 to ship it back and often if you enclose a copy of the shipping receipt, you'll get credited for it.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

If you truly want to see in you can repair that, Cabinetman's posts on stock repair and refinishing on the ParallaxBill Milsurp forum have been a godsend. If you're intent on replacing the stock, you may want to spend a couple bucks and try to repair it in order to simply get some expirience.

Here's what I would do. Grab some denatured alcohol and a qtip rubbing away some of the shellac near the crack. Use some thin CA glue in the crack and clamp it using a siding shingle or shim to prevent gouging the stock. Use wet sandpaper thats self-lubricating (siliocone carbide) sandpaper and scratch away any CA rsidue. Take some shellac flakes of the same color of your stock, mix with denatured alcohol, and apply.

OfficerObie: Ill check that out. I at least want to take a stab at it give me some practice. Probably still wouldn't use it though.

I also am going to try and get the extra one from 50BMG if possible.

40 Cal: I'm thinking its not the same distributor as I just checked the page I used don't see any m44's in stock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom