• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bowhunting only deer programs, Parks, WMA's (Mature Bucks)

Hi Guys,

Just moved back home to Massachusetts after living a few years out of state up in NY/NJ. Let me tee you that they have some nice deer up there!

Anyways, I was hoping you guys could help me out with some questions I have and maybe give me some direction. I primarily only Bowhunt for deer. Just moved back home to the South Shore area (Milton) and am trying to find some more information on good unpressured places to Bowhunt in MA (preferably Bowhunting only) that hold mature bucks. So far all I have found is Bluegills. It doesn't matter how far I need to drive as I need to find just a good, peaceful place to place to sit and hunt good deer.

About me so you can understand why I'm asking these questions.

I am in my 40s and have been hunting my whole life. Bowhunting is my passion and obsession. It's the only way I hunt deer. I am huge in deer conservation and active in the UBNJ community.
I ONLY SHOOT MATURE BUCKS 4 YEARS+ IN AGE. That being said I haven't shot a hanger in almost 6 years...

So...

Question #1: what zones, parks, deer management programs, WMA's and public hunting areas are known to have big mature bucks? (bow only zone preferred)

Question #2: What zone/parks/ wma's etc. hold a healthy deer herd population of does?

Question #3: Does anyone know of any OTHER deer management programs that some towns may have that I can also apply to? including township programs (permit), state parks/town parks/ and any other public hunting parcels that allow low-pressure quality hunting that actually holds big deer.

Question #4: Where can I hunt that allows me to access islands by canoe to hunt and go in deep. I love hunting deep and hard. I am always looking for cattails :)

I just want to be clear I am not looking for specific spots but just some insight into where I can hunt hard for the best chances to find mature bucks.

Also, I'd love to join a Mass bowhunting club if they exist. Be great to network with some fellow hunters in the area.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, everyone!

-Fletch
-Fletch

Maybe it's different north and west of here, but what's a big buck? LOL. I mean, I'm not seeing Hyuuuuuuuj racks in my AO - south of you. You want decent size, you're probably heading west - out past 495. I don't know if there is anything south. I recall something about hunting on Otis, but I think that's pretty popular as well. And I'm not sure about deer sizes either.

I am not a member, but I believe that the Concord Rod & Gun club has a strong contingent of hunters based on what I’ve heard. That isn’t that close to Milton but maybe something to look into.

Last edited:
Aside from controlled hunts like the Blue Hills, which is a joke, anywhere you can hunt is legal to gun hunt. The setback requirements are the same.

The Blue Hills is a joke. They tell you where you can hunt on the land, the areas are very small and they pack hunters on top of each other. You HAVE TO HUNT on the prescribed days or they ban you for life. Shooting hours end at noon and you have to be out. They also want you to shoot anything you see… Does, fawns, etc…. Kill them all.

Like is said, it’s a joke. Not what you’re looking for.

You want to escape pressure, go west…… far west…. Eastern MA is a population dense area with small pockets of broken up habitat and it all gets hammered…… hard. Even during archery. IMHO the pressure has gone UP the last half decade. People are going farther in and hunting harder too… I routinely run into people in the center of the woods, where you have to get through some deep water to get to… There is literally no place where “people don’t go”. Our woods in eastern MA just aren’t big enough.

So, either think about your standards, or plan on traveling out of state. I hear CT is decent, as is upstate NY. But in MA if you’re looking for unpressured land to hunt hangers, you’re going to be disappointed. Southern ME and NH as well. The southern parts of the states have the same challenges we do. Population density is too high and the timber too small.

The hunting area on this forum is a good resource. You’ll quickly ID who to listen to… There are a few…

I’m not saying there are no such animals in eastern MA. But they’re very very rare, hunted hard, and don’t have many places to hide. Not on public anyway. The state does not do a good job managing the herd. They want numbers low because of deer and vehicle collisions and the insurance lobby, etc… So everyone gets 2 antlered tags and they dole out doe tags like candy in the east.

I’ve seen deer drives completely wipe out a deer population on smaller pieces… There were some places I would go that are devoid now, after 1 year of aggressive gun hunting, the deer….. are gone… and since the land isn’t contagious with other timber, they’re not coming back. I still walk it once a year, but never find so much as a single track or pile of scat…. Sad really, but it is what it is….

Welcome back.

There are wall hangers throughout the state you just have to find them. As you already know, you need to hit the areas less traveled. We have bigger deer out west but a much lower DPSM.

To add to what @ThePreBanMan said CT is a bow hunters dream. The season opens on September 15th and runs to the end of the year. There is even a January season (private land only) in southern Connecticut. You get 4 tags two antlerless and two either sex. Plus two more tags for the January season. A non resident archery license is $135. Plus you can hunt Sundays on private land (only) not on public land. At $135 it is a bargain for an obsessed archery hunter.

I will also add that Connecticut is written permission only. If the state doesn’t own it someone else does and you better have a permission slip.

Because Connecticut separates out the firearms and archery licenses their archery license requires an archery hunting safety course. The standard hunter Ed safety course doesn’t cut it. GET IT DONE NOW!!!!!!! if you don’t have one and have an interest. They are hard to get into. The Mass, or another state, course is fine if you have it or can get it.

IIRC you have to buy your first license in person if your safety course isn't a CT course as you need to prove that you have completed the proper. safety course. It’s been a lot of years though for me.

Bob

Hi Guys,

Just moved back home to Massachusetts after living a few years out of state up in NY/NJ. Let me tee you that they have some nice deer up there!

Anyways, I was hoping you guys could help me out with some questions I have and maybe give me some direction. I primarily only Bowhunt for deer. Just moved back home to the South Shore area (Milton) and am trying to find some more information on good unpressured places to Bowhunt in MA (preferably Bowhunting only) that hold mature bucks. So far all I have found is Bluegills. It doesn't matter how far I need to drive as I need to find just a good, peaceful place to place to sit and hunt good deer.

About me so you can understand why I'm asking these questions.

I am in my 40s and have been hunting my whole life. Bowhunting is my passion and obsession. It's the only way I hunt deer. I am huge in deer conservation and active in the UBNJ community.
I ONLY SHOOT MATURE BUCKS 4 YEARS+ IN AGE. That being said I haven't shot a hanger in almost 6 years...

So...

Question #1: what zones, parks, deer management programs, WMA's and public hunting areas are known to have big mature bucks? (bow only zone preferred)

Question #2: What zone/parks/ wma's etc. hold a healthy deer herd population of does?

Question #3: Does anyone know of any OTHER deer management programs that some towns may have that I can also apply to? including township programs (permit), state parks/town parks/ and any other public hunting parcels that allow low-pressure quality hunting that actually holds big deer.

Question #4: Where can I hunt that allows me to access islands by canoe to hunt and go in deep. I love hunting deep and hard. I am always looking for cattails :)

I just want to be clear I am not looking for specific spots but just some insight into where I can hunt hard for the best chances to find mature bucks.

Also, I'd love to join a Mass bowhunting club if they exist. Be great to network with some fellow hunters in the area.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, everyone!

-Fletch
-Fletch
My buddy took a 12 point deer 4 years ago in my area, You can find them in places you wouldn’t normally hunt. That’s all I’m saying.

I literally just completed the Bowhunter Education Course Field Day in CT last Saturday. Due to COVID, they had offered a modified course, where you take the classroom portion online, then a three hour in person field day when it became available. After the class, they entered my information in the system as having passed the course, which then allowed me to purchase my CT non resident archery permit online when I got home.

I literally just completed the Bowhunter Education Course Field Day in CT last Saturday. Due to COVID, they had offered a modified course, where you take the classroom portion online, then a three hour in person field day when it became available. After the class, they entered my information in the system as having passed the course, which then allowed me to purchase my CT non resident archery permit online when I got home.
It’s unbelievable you need a ” hunter education” class to hunt deer now. They suck.

OP - get a copy of the Mass Hunting abstracts, and read them. More than once.

If you've been out of DPRM for a while, many of the twists and turns of Mass Laws and Regulations will bite you, if you're not careful.

For instance, it's a no-no to carry a sidearm, while bowhunting.

The only "Bow only" zone will be a town that prohibits discharge of firearms, but not hunting.

You may hunt with a bow in all three Mass Deer seasons (Bow, shotgun, primitive)

As others have said, there's a lot of people, a lot of hunters, and not much space within 495. Most of the space is private, and many of the towns have landowner permission requirements.

If you "sit" I presume that you use a stand - read the rules for use of them, on the land of another.

Read and understand the Abstracts.

Good luck

Do you know if you have to take CT bow hunter course for a non resident or will any bow hunter course work ?

Do you know if you have to take CT bow hunter course for a non resident or will any bow hunter course work ?
No, it doesn't have to be their specific course, they will accept others. I'd shoot them an email to make sure they accept the one you have. I had a few issues with the online class portion when I took it, and they replied to my email very quickly, even on a Sunday.

As @kerryman71 said a bow hunting course from any state will do. They took my Mass cert years ago. The only issue that you run into is that if it is from another state it isn’t in there system so you have to buy your first license in person. I remember going down to Hartford to get mine.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom