• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BPD tragedy: Young cop commits suicide

doobie

Banned
BPD tragedy: Young cop commits suicide

A 24-year-old female Boston police officer with family members on the force died last night from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at her home in South Boston, police said.

“This is a tragedy. We have a very young female officer who took her life. There is no story here. We don’t know why. The family is devastated. I’m devastated. I personally know this girl,” an unnerved BPD Superintendent in Chief Robert Dunford told reporters and bystanders at the scene. “I have no explanation.”

Dunford refused to name the officer, but multiple law enforcement sources identified her as Kaitlyn Elizabeth Keaney, a member of the department’s 2006 graduating class. Keaney is a member of an extended family of Boston police officers, and her father in a cop in South Boston, the sources said.

Swarms of policemen descended on 431 East 6th Street, a quiet part of South Boston that was thrust into a maelstrom of police lights, squad cars, anguished cops and stunned neighbors. By midnight much of 6th Street was cordoned off.

A solemn-looking Boston police Chief Edward F. Davis III also went to the scene. He declined to comment but circulated among officers and neighbors offering quiet condolences. Davis spent much of his time soothing many young women who stood about in tears.

A cluster of people who appeared to be family, friends and neighbors of the dead officer exchanged embraces and broke down in tears at the scene.

“Don’t tell me this. This ain’t real,” moaned a woman who had just rushed to the scene and ducked under the police tape that was cordoning off the two-family home where the death occurred.

One onlooker, Charles Atherton, said he was unsure of the details but knew something horrible had happend. “I saw the lights while at my computer so I came from my house on G Street to see what was going on,” said the 49-year-old. “I saw them bring the stretcher out, but then they just put it back.”

Last edited:
I hope that we remain mature and don't jump on this like anti-gun groups would. Someone has lost a daughter in a very tragic situation and above all we should be sympathetic to their loss.

Don't be doormats, but at the same time, don't use this tragedy as others might.

I had a friend that did the same thing . . Worst part was that his mom walked in after he had shot himself and the back of his head was blown off. Very tragic, none of us will ever know what could be so bad to make someone do this. . May she rest in peace and our prayers are with her family.

A true tragedy!

My thoughts go out to her Family, friends and co-workers!

I don't think that any of us that are left behind can ever understand what pushes a person to take such a final step (at least in most cases). The Brother of a very close friend did this many years ago . . . everything seemed OK and none of us could see it coming.

I don't think that any of us that are left behind can ever understand what pushes a person to take such a final step (at least in most cases). The Brother of a very close friend did this many years ago . . . everything seemed OK and none of us could see it coming.

It varies on the person. Personally it was severe depression combined with being uncomfortable with the type of person I was with a huge dose of an overwhelming sense of endless hopelessness that will last my entire lifetime.

These thoughts and feelings were from over 15 years ago and at that time no one had any idea what was going on. inside of me and what I was wrestling with. After talking with a counselor was I really able to make leaps and bounds to improving myself mentally, socially and psychologically. I mean, I am happily married, about to finally get my B.S iin English and hopefully enroll in a Law School after graduation.

My heart goes out to her family and may she finally get the peace now she so desperately wanted before.

I'm sure in time the truth will come out as to why this happened and her decision to take her own life. Being a police officer, especially in the bigger departments (Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc.) brings a lot of stress and pressure to those who have to deal with the most unusual circumstances that you and I don't see or hear about. I know that a lot of female officers get involved with different department specialty units (EX; rape, assault or abuse type programs) because they can obviously relate to another female better than a male officer. Lord only knows that this could simply be a personal decision due to something totally unrelated to her job.

I have known a few CO's that have done this.
In their cases, I have only one known fact: It was not the job pressure brought on by the performance of their duties, it was the attendant administrative BS from the higher ups.

The bigger the department, the more people upstairs to screw with you.

Many of these idiots look like great leaders on paper, but have their collective heads up their collective asses when it comes to dealing with personnel. They become power hungry and if you cross them, they not only want revenge, they want to completely screw up somebody's life! I have seen and experienced this first hand.

They want psych tests for all recruits. I want psych tests for all Law Enforcement from the top down on a yearly basis. Along with these tests, I would want appropriate sanctions, up to and including dismissal, for failing to pass or meet certain standards.

This poor girl had her whole life ahead of her. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. My prayers go out to her family and her co-workers.

Last edited:
My brother-in-law went to the academy with the decedent. Only comment from him is that it's sad and that's all he's allowed to say.

[halfmast]Over the years Norwood has had too many do this. God bless her family and now may she rest peacefully.

This is so sad. I'm sure her family and close friends are asking themselves what they might have done to prevent this.

I am sure they are...But in many cases like this there may be few outward signs of the terrible internal conflict going on. I feel so sad for her, her family and loved ones left to pick up the pieces. She was only 24...what a sad , sad loss.

Probably not the place for it, but I really don't understand suicide. Yeah, if you believe that this world is a sham, that something better awaits us in death, then I can see the allure. If, however, this is all we get, why would offing yourself even be an option? It's not like we get to go to the back of the line to take the ride again.

Maybe I'm cynical because of all those youngsters that blow themselves up in the name of Islam. Maybe I'm tipping my hand too much about my thoughts on religion in general. Seems to me that if you take belief in an afterlife out of the equation then suicide can't be an option.

Yes I feel for the decedent's family. It must be the worst kind of shock and self-accusatory slap in the face that one can imagine. Not sure if I extend my sympathy to the decedent, though. $0.02.

I truly don't understand and suppose I never really will.

I've seen way too many suicides over the years. Never truly understood some. I could somewhat understand those related to painful terminal illnesses. But those related to physiological problems of some in their early teens and up truly made no sense. I had to believe there was an alternate route to killing one's self. Everyone always had a theory why it happened, who was at fault and what should have been done. That's always easy to say after the fact but unfortunately no one can see inside another's head and see what is actually going on. Many suicides just come out of nowhere with no hint of a grave problem.

If it was stress from the job, that's even worse. She had all those relatives on the job who could have helped her cope. Of course, it could have been completely unrelated.

Sometimes you never find out the reason. My brother committed suicide and we still don't really know why. He had some past mental issues and seemed a bit down. But not enough to make anyone suspect. He was a very smart guy with a lot going for him, awesome friends, gf, etc.

I've seen way too many suicides over the years. Never truly understood some. I could somewhat understand those related to painful terminal illnesses. But those related to physiological problems of some in their early teens and up truly made no sense. I had to believe there was an alternate route to killing one's self. Everyone always had a theory why it happened, who was at fault and what should have been done. That's always easy to say after the fact but unfortunately no one can see inside another's head and see what is actually going on. Many suicides just come out of nowhere with no hint of a grave problem.

Maybe those "unexplainable" suicides are related to undiagnosed mental illnesses.
Although I don't understand suiciders, except for those seeking a painless death in case of severe illness, I understand that suicide is always a tragedy.
R.I.P. young police officer.

Kilgore Trout said:

Probably not the place for it, but I really don't understand suicide. Yeah, if you believe that this world is a sham, that something better awaits us in death, then I can see the allure. If, however, this is all we get, why would offing yourself even be an option? It's not like we get to go to the back of the line to take the ride again.

Maybe I'm cynical because of all those youngsters that blow themselves up in the name of Islam. Maybe I'm tipping my hand too much about my thoughts on religion in general. Seems to me that if you take belief in an afterlife out of the equation then suicide can't be an option.

Yes I feel for the decedent's family. It must be the worst kind of shock and self-accusatory slap in the face that one can imagine. Not sure if I extend my sympathy to the decedent, though. $0.02.

I know my post is rather off topic, but I was so intrigued by your thoughts I just have to respond.

Belief in the existence of an afterlife, or at least uncertainty as to whether it exists or not, far from being an incentive to commit suicide, has always been in my opinion the very strongest deterrent. Indeed, I think it's the only deterrent.

In your post, I get the feeling that you consider the afterlife only as something better than we have here on earth, rather than something worse, or - a very common position, particularly among Christians - the possiblity of either, that is to say, heaven or hell. But the fact remains that, utilizing natural reason alone, we cannot know for sure what lies beyond the grave. Good, bad, both, we just don't know.

Given this, I should think that most people considering suicide (sane people, at least, capable of rational thought) would be smitten with a tremendous fear that they might be heading for something a lot worse than what they are escaping from. Sure, it might be better, but who's to say? The devil you know is better than the one you don't. Even if you firmly believe, for whatever reason, that you're going to a better place, what if you are wrong? If you are, you got a big problem on your hands. A "forever" kind of problem.

On the other hand, if there were some way that we could be certain that there is nothing beyond this mortal existence, then that would be the best possible comfort for someone considering suicide. The uncertainty of facing eternity in one kind of place or another would be removed, delivering complete control back into the hands of the suicide: all you have to do is pull the trigger and you are asleep forever. This kind of control, the ability to know for sure that your pain will end when your life does, would be a tremendous consolation to those who wish to self-terminate.

You say, "If, however, this is all we get, why would offing yourself even be an option? It's not like we get to go to the back of the line to take the ride again." Well, the problem is that you are viewing life as something fundamentally worthy of experiencing, or desirable in some way. By definition, a suicidal person wants to lay this life aside. S/he finds it, for whatever reason, excruciatingly undesirable. Far from being worried about getting in line again, such a person doesn't even like being in line this time around. One time in line is, already, one time too many.

As for sympathizing with the family, well, it's hard not to, I guess. But, the feeling I get from reading your thoughts is that you and I are likely very different people with different life experiences, because, regarding your stated lack of sympathy with the person who actually did the deed, I couldn't disagree more. I find it very easy to sympathize (empathize, maybe?) with such a person, even though I have no idea what her particular situation was, or even whether she was in good mental health and in full possession of her faculties.

Regardless of the case of this one person, in general there are so many lives out there being lived in abject misery for so many reasons, some of them not at all apparent to an outside observer, that I have a very difficult time feeling critical of those who opt out. It's not that I would sympathize with someone who kills himself over something foolish, but when I don't know the reason for it, I typically experience a feeling of some shared pain by default.

One other thing that is a pet peeve of mine (nothing in your post) is the rather patronizing tendency of many people to view suicides as people who invariably are off their rockers, or "ill" in some way, or are possessed of poor judgment or impulsivity - as though the act itself, by its very nature, is somehow irrational or unnatural. They seem to think that suicide, if considered more carefully, would never be followed through with, that it would never be something that a "healthy" or "well-adjusted" person would choose to do.

I feel very differently. Sure, there are plenty of moonbats who kill themselves, but a great many suicides are simply the result of the most elementary of all cost/benefit analyses. That is to say, Is what I am getting out of this life worth what I am putting into it? The are numerous scenarios in which the answer is a simple "No".

And I've never liked the way in which suicide is labeled "a permanent solution to a temporary problem", either. That definition trivializes the cause of suicide by forcing it into the category of humdrum, everyday trials and tribulations - things like losing a job, being ill, etc. - that are capable of being changed. Many suicides are the result of permanent problems, things that have to do with ways in which a mentally healthy person may nonetheless view the world as a fundamentally bad and painful place. You don't have to be unbalanced or ill in any way to have been born with, or had formed in you, a mindset or mental orientation that colors everything negatively. Some people just seem to have such a way of looking at things.

Back
Top Bottom