• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brady Bunch getting warmed up for you.

The MATH Coalition, with support from the Brady Campaign, will work
with Massachusetts lawmakers to pass legislation to help in the fight
against illegal gun trafficking by stopping large volume sales of handguns
by limiting purchases to one per month. It is possible in Massachusetts for
"straw purchasers" and traffickers to buy unlimited numbers of guns to sell
to the illegal market.
"Limiting the number of handguns someone can buy at one time stops gun
traffickers in their tracks," said Nancy Robinson of the MATH Coalition and
President of the Boston Million Mom March Chapter. "A person who buys 30
handguns at a time is not buying them for hunting, but for resale to
criminals on the streets."

Lets see...

With the price of handguns being in the $400.00 - $600.00 range (and more), I'm curious to know just how many large scale trafficking/straw purchases are
actually occurring in this state?

If I say, buy a gun from a gun dealer in Mass, then that dealer automatically submits an FA10 for that purchase, so, MA should be able to trace that firearm back to me, through the dealer's records and state submissions.

Therefore, doesn't the system they have in place give them all they need to accomplish what they say they are striving for, without further restriction on the number of firearms bought? Or am I such an idiot I'm missing something?

The BS with all of this is I'm sure the number of straws which occur off LTC
holders via MA transactions is probably small enough that it doesn't even
show up on the radar. I'd venture a fair guess that more guns are stolen
in MA than are strawed, by orders of magnitude.

All this crap is is push for more incremental laws where they can get away
with it. Their ultimate goal is to ban all guns, there's no getting around
that.

-Mike

If I say, buy a gun from a gun dealer in Mass, then that dealer automatically submits an FA10 for that purchase, so, MA should be able to trace that firearm back to me, through the dealer's records and state submissions.

Therefore, doesn't the system they have in place give them all they need to accomplish what they say they are striving for, without further restriction on the number of firearms bought? Or am I such an idiot I'm missing something?

Yep, and "lost or stolen" firearms must be reported (common excuse for straw purchasers and traffickers), and the CLEO has wide latitude in suspending/revoking the LTC of people who have suspicious and/or illegal firearms activity.

The ATF already has a thing in place, called the MHP form. If someone
buys more than one handgun from a single FFL in a weeks time, the feds know
about it, directly. (The ATF has droids/agents which sit around and analyze MHP
forms to try to detect straws or rogue gun dealers. Typically
lunkheads buying several lorcins at once will get some sort of visit or inquiry
by the ATF. )

I guess what I'm getting at is the feds devised this system a long time ago
to try to stop "multiple straw purchases for resale" incidents.

As far as MA goes the biggest barrier to people not doing straws is the
fact that you have to have a license to buy a gun. The bradyites
don't want to face the fact that 99% of all the licenses in MA are issued
to people with spotless records who would never engage in such activity
anyways. I'm sure there are a small amount of straws in MA, but nobody
has explained how limiting someone to "one gun a month" would completely
eliminate that microscopic corner case from happening.

WRT the registration system... you are right.. they would have a method
of "tracing" at least to some extent. Course no system will prevent
a criminal getting a gun... the MA one included.

-Mike

I wonder whether it's considered sensitive intelligence information or if someone could simply find out how many multiple purchases are done in MA annually through a FOIA request. I suspect I wouldn't have to take off both shoes to count that high.

Ken

I wonder whether it's considered sensitive intelligence information or if someone could simply find out how many multiple purchases are done in MA annually through a FOIA request. I suspect I wouldn't have to take off both shoes to count that high.

Ken

I would suggest doing that, and publishing your findings.

Make a stink if its possible.

their idiots

These shitheads are plain idiots... Brady gets shot by a nut case and blames
the world for his problems.... get a life...

Coming after the legal gunholder is the dumbest thing.... go after the criminals...

Anyway we better get ready, i've about had enought....

JimB

So all them crime guns that Menino says come from us lax neighbors (NH & VT), that are not the real problem - where DO they come from? Seems I recall they come from select states in the South, where Brady operatives would be tarred and feathered before being run out of town.

Hence the effort in MA, where the impact is nill but the PR is big.

Anyone know what useful and appropriate IS being done in these Southern states to manage the problem? Even though they might be giving the other states a "black eye" WRT sources of "crime guns", we gotta stick together. Divide and conquer is one strategy they used in the UK to get "sporting long guns" supporters to denegrate handguns - once handguns were banned, they went after the long guns. Then knives. Cripes - you can't get a glass beer mug now in much of the UK as they are "weapons". But I digress.

How do "we" bring the South in line before New England takes the hit?

Anyone know what useful and appropriate IS being done in these Southern states to manage the problem? Even though they might be giving the other states a "black eye" WRT sources of "crime guns", we gotta stick together. Divide and conquer is one strategy they used in the UK to get "sporting long guns" supporters to denegrate handguns - once handguns were banned, they went after the long guns. Then knives. Cripes - you can't get a glass beer mug now in much of the UK as they are "weapons". But I digress.

How do "we" bring the South in line before New England takes the hit?

The south has to abide by the same bible thick book of
shitty federal gun laws the rest of the country does, including NH, VT, and
ME. FWIW, VT itself has less strict gun laws than just about every
southern state. So, I don't really get what you mean by "bringing them
in line". [rolleyes] This push by the antis should tell you that there is no
accomodating or appeasing them by adding more gun control. MA is living
proof of that... we're one of the top 10 worst states in the US wrt gun
laws and they're still asking for more. Adding more laws or increasing
enforcment will not decrease the whining by antis. They will not stop until
every gun is banned, and will continue to whine when we're down "british
grade" gun laws where nearly everything is banned.

Food for thought- the ATF arrests many people breaking federal gun laws
every day (eg people who knowingly sell guns to criminals) and looks for
random shoddy excuses to close Type 01 FFL dealers at the drop of a hat,
even for paperwork errors. This has been going on since the clinton admin
(and earlier, obviously, but not with the same level of agression)
and it still hasn't been enough to make the antis stop whining, despite the
markedly increased rate of enforcement at the federal (and often at the
state level in many cases), I fail to see how adding more "enforcement"
will fix the core problem, which is antis pushing their agenda based upon
the unwarranted fears of the (generally) ignorant population.

-Mike

Last edited:

Ken

The problem is Ken the number of MHPs doesn't show much... even if
there were 2000 MHPs filled out in MA last year, 99% of those guns probably
never got "loose" on the street.

A juicier number would be the number of MA LTC or FID holders who were
caught selling guns illegally, or whose guns ended up in the possession of a
criminal. I'd imagine that number would be pretty small.

-Mike

A juicier number would be the number of MA LTC or FID holders who were
caught selling guns illegally, or whose guns ended up in the possession of a
criminal. I'd imagine that number would be pretty small.

I agree Mike. Infact, I'd bet it would be less than 1%....like .001.

I can't believe that article. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's all bullshit!

Their plans don't make sense. The Brady Bunch seems like it's strictly PUNATIVE, seeking revenge, not as if it's really trying to accomplish anything that would stop real crime.

One month this year I found three excellent Smith and Wesson revolvers for sale. A Model 34 .22 Kit gun, a Model 19 P&R .357, and a Model 30 .32.

They were in great condition, and at a price I couldn't walk away from.

Later in the year I had another month like that when I got a cheap Model 10, a .32 Hand Ejector, and a Model 442 .38. Again I got lucky at the dealers, and got a great price,

I'd be mad as heck if I ran into a great chance to buy a few classic guns and I missed out because I could only buy one gun per month. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I'm not doing anything criminal with them. Mostly I look for bargians.

I just think this whole approach to ending "illegal guns" stinks.

I'm another one who is thinking of getting out of Massachusetts. My wife and I are looking in Maine now. What the F*** is wrong with these moonbat C***S******?

BTW update

Uh, guys, this was posted by one of our users in calguns.net.

Smokeybehr said:
I don't pay any attention to anything that comes off of PRNewsWire. It's a paid service to disseminate corporate and organizational press releases.

Besides, check the source. More spew from the Brady Bunch. Nowhere in the pressrelease is there a quote from the new governor. It's all drivel from the anti-self-defense, criminal-enabling scum.

I would take that into account... not to say you dont have a heads up on their intended direction. But you should be on the lookout from your gov.

The south has to abide by the same bible thick book of shitty federal gun laws the rest of the country does, including NH, VT, and
ME. FWIW, VT itself has less strict gun laws than just about every
southern state. So, I don't really get what you mean by "bringing them
in line". [rolleyes]
-Mike

Sorry - I was vague there.

I can find the Y2000 ATF Crime Gun Trace Report for Boston at http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ycgii/2000/cityreports/bostonma.pdf (and am looking for more recent versions), but my point is made on crime gun trace data from page 16:

41.7% from MA
15.3% Southern States
9.5% from Northeastern States
5.5% from Other States

From http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ycgii/2000/generalfindings.pdf page 46

"...National Patterns. National trafficking patterns
account for 30 percent or more of guns traced from
nine cities. The most striking case is that of New
York City, where 73.4 percent of crime guns came
from national sources including Virginia, North
Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Newark and Jersey
City, which are located near New York experience
strikingly similar national trafficking patterns with
80.2 and 74.5 percent of their crime guns coming
from national sources. Other cities on the Eastern
shore with high percentages of nationally sourced
guns include Washington (38.6 percent) and Camden
(50.6 percent). A second trafficking pattern runs
from the South to large cities in the Midwest.
Chicago has 32.8 percent of crime guns from national
sources and Detroit 44.5 percent. Mississippi,
Kentucky and Georgia are important national source
areas for Chicago. Kentucky, Georgia and Alabama
are significant for Detroit."

The South seems to leak more guns traced to crimes than elsewhere.

As the locals (Menino, Bloomberg, etc) will never admit their own lack of efficacy in stopping local gun traffic, and are also smart enough not to blame their own police forces, they go after out-of-state sources. And since they are politically astute, they know they can't make much impact going after Southern states, so they go after neighbors. And for Boston/Massachusetts, that would be NH, VT, ME. And aside from trying to keep MA from sliding further down the gun-control slope (from a personally pragmatic viewpoint, I work there and have friends there, and MA crime leaks north across the border to my SoNH home area, and most of my MA-expat neighbors fear guns and trees and wildlife...), MA gun politics has a negative impact on the pro-gun environment in neighboring states.

So my point is, if the pro-gun community supports existing gun laws as sufficient, with no more laws needed, how can this community, through NRA, etc, help trim the problem at it source - Souther states? If we don't have any good ideas, I'm sure Menino, Bloomberg and BATFE will...

So my point is, if the pro-gun community supports existing gun laws as sufficient, with no more laws needed, how can this community, through NRA, etc, help trim the problem at it source - Souther states? If we don't have any good ideas, I'm sure Menino, Bloomberg and BATFE will...

I believe you're seriously jaded. Capitulating to the gun grabbers
doesn't result in them backing off, ever. Please show me one case
where it has. I've never seen an increase in laws result in an attendant
decrease in demand for gun control. The NRA has backed certain initiatives
(eg, from what I remember, they were heavy supporters of felon in possession
laws and possibly even the lautenberg and at one time.). What has that gotten
us? Nothing. GCA of 1968 was like a huge tractor trailer load full of laws
(some of which the NRA had input on, btw) and many years later antis are still
whining. They will never have enough. We've been cutting off appendages
to throw to the antis as kibbles for the better part of a century. Continuing to do
that has not and will not result in forward progress.

Ever bothered to look at any of the Federal gun laws, in detail? There
are enough felonies in the fed regs to make a gun trafficker eat the
equivalent of a murder or manslaughter rap. While some of these laws
have been effective, they haven't really discouraged many "traffickers". I
fail to see how adding more laws will do anything but piss off or restrict
the rights of law abiding citizens.

Further, there's also a political problem with the pro-rights movement
whining about the south's gun proliferation "problem". It will endorse
the frauds that are booberg and mumbles, and allow them to more easily
deflect criticism, and deflect responsibility for their cities' attendant violence
problems. Complaining about gun trafficking ignores the real problems, after
all, we all know the guns don't just get up and shoot people at random. The
reason the "illegal" guns come up here is because there's a demand; and criminals
in certain dump-cities are all causing that demand. Could it be because these
cities all have significant drug and gang problems, most of which are caused by poorly
thought out drug laws and nanny-state local governments? No, anything but
that. [rolleyes] It has to be the guns! The guns are responsible for all the violence,
even the stabbings and beatings. [rolleyes] That is the message that we would send
if we were to capitulate to their whining... and do you really want to be a part of
that calculated fraud? I sure as hell don't.

If you want to see more of what I'm getting at... read some of the books written by
Gary Kleck. (criminologist). His research basically shows that most of what the antis are
throwing out as truths are just one big gigantic lie. To add a dollop of frosting to the whole
thing, he's a fully vetted liberal and used to buy into gun control rather heavily.

-Mike

Last edited:
I believe you're seriously jaded. ...
If you want to see more of what I'm getting at... read some of the books written by Gary Kleck. (criminologist). His research basically shows that most of what the antis are throwing out as truths are just one big gigantic lie. To add a dollop of frosting to the whole thing, he's a fully vetted liberal and used to buy into gun control rather heavily.
-Mike

It might be that we don't see eye-to-eye, but how does that make me "jaded"?

I do indeed have a bookshelf stocked with Lott, Kleck, Halbrook, Kates, Poe, Malcolm, etc., so I'm not writing from a void of background. I may not well understand the details of the MA gun laws, or more to the point, how they are interpreted and enforced, so this forum is where I turn to find expertise.

Do you reject the validity of the Gun Trace Data? Some distrust the gov't so much that they discard any data not gathered by Kleck, Lott, Kopel, Kates, etc. - but I don't think that's you. I'm sure, based on what I've seen of your posts, that you are not the type to simply shug off and accept that guns get into the wrong hands and there is nothing that can or should be done about it.

Yes - no more useless gun laws will help. I agree wholeheartedly with you there.

I struggle with what constitutes the minimum, reasonable gun law set. Do we let recently released felons buy as many guns as they want, and let them give/sell them to anyone they want to, and expect the police to intervene only AFTER the crime? I lose sleep over that, as that might be the pure interpretation of 2ndA rights by some...and I might agree.

Can we not work within the pro-gun community to, not only maintain our own discipline, but to insist the executive and judicial branches uniformly enforce discipline throughout the country? Not 'capitulating to whining', as you put it, but looking at the facts and taking positive steps. Again, if the pro-gun community doesn't look at troubling issues related to guns and crime, and propose truely useful action, we will be forced to react to the actions of the Clintons, Meninos and Bloombergs of the world.

Perhaps we share more in common than first meets the eye, but express our common ground differently?

It might be that we don't see eye-to-eye, but how does that make me "jaded"?

The general tone of your response seemed to indicate anti-like
behavior- eg; this seemingly morbid fascination/hangup with an object's
relationship to crime.

I do indeed have a bookshelf stocked with Lott, Kleck, Halbrook, Kates, Poe, Malcolm, etc., so I'm not writing from a void of background.

So you know that, from the research of these individuals, that by and
large, the mere presence of guns do not cause crime? While I can agree
that guns have some side effects WRT crime, eg, stray bullets hitting
uninvolved persons, etc, I think the stats bear out that people legitimately
use guns often enough to defend themselves that it outweighs any of
that.

Then there is a deeper argument- that it's not fair to artificially inhibit
one's god given right to defend themselves. Not sure if any of these
authors get into that.... but people don't like to think/talk about the fact
that a state's "gun control" may have resulted in someone's uneeded
death or suffering.

Do you reject the validity of the Gun Trace Data?

No, I don't reject its validity. I'm sure it's mostly true. The thing is, what
do we do with that data? All it really proves is that more "bad" guns
come from the south. That same region of the country where the
guns/capita ratio is (probably) way higher than it is everywhere else. So,
do we need to further penalize people for exercising their 2nd amendment
rights in greater frequency? I would venture a guess that the increased
numbers represent more stolen guns as well as more "strawed" guns because
whenever you increase overall numbers, you increase the chances of
theft or loss, or tomfoolery at the dealers (eg, strawed guns). I would
say that the stats are more reflective of a "higher density" gun culture in the
south. There are more gun owners there, and there are also more
people that own more than one gun. There are also more dealers, and
probably more guns sold there as well. The gun demographic in the south is
also a lot broader than it is here, in regards to ethnicities and economic classes.
Some of this is a cultural thing. I'd venture a fair guess, for instance, that an
inner city minority in FL is far more likely to buy a gun legitimately than the
same kind of person up here is. They'd rather defend themselves than submit to
being victims. They're also more likely to blame criminals for crime than to
blame inanimate objects. They're more exposed to reality (eg, they know their
neighbor who was a victim of a home invasion last week) as opposed to the sensationalist
crap that TV passes off for reality.

Yes - no more useless gun laws will help. I agree wholeheartedly with you there.

Yes... you seem to realize at least that much- that adding extra regulation
is only going to increase the burden on legal gun owners without resulting
in an attendant reduction in crime.

It's a harder pill to swallow, but I also believe that most of the gun laws
on the books are woefully ineffective as well. If we eliminated the
ones that don't really do anything, and the ones that act as substitutes
for other broken laws, then we wouldn't have many left. The general
impression that I get is that most gun laws are often used as a band-aid
for other problems within the justice system. The feds need felon in
possession, for instance, because many states have shit judges or are
too limp-wristed to incarcerate violent criminals for the appropriate amounts
of time. (feds love FIP because it finally puts the dirtbags away for at least
like 5-10 years... but we have to wonder, why doesnt the system just do
that to begin with, instead of relying on this band aid? )

I struggle with what constitutes the minimum, reasonable gun law set. Do we let recently released felons buy as many guns as they want, and let them give/sell them to anyone they want to, and expect the police to intervene only AFTER the crime? I lose sleep over that, as that might be the pure interpretation of 2ndA rights by some...and I might agree.

Let's put it this way.... getting "pure 2nd amendment" is a pipe
dream. Even I recognize that. I don't think that even with a 75% pro gun
congress w/pro gun president that we would ever be completely devoid of
regulation. I don't have a problem with "reasonable regulation" as is
afforded to other constitutional rights. The problem is, as I've said many
times before, here and elsewhere, that the metric ton and expanse of gun
laws that we have in existence now, hardly constitutes reasonable regulation.
Seriously, when's the last time you had to sign a government form, under penalty of
perjury, to exercise any of your other constitutional rights?

Can we not work within the pro-gun community to, not only maintain our own discipline, but to insist the executive and judicial branches uniformly enforce discipline throughout the country?

We're already doing that. The NRA in general has supported the efforts
of law enforcement in terms of using existing gun laws to put away corrupt
gun dealers and traffickers. The NRA has also supported efforts to increase
mandatory minimums for violent crimes, including those that involve
firearms. (recognizing that a lot of incidents are committed by repeat
offenders... ) The NSSF and other gun/industry orgs have
put out literature, posters and the like to FFLs to distribute information
about preventing gun trafficking. (eg, all the fluff about preventing
straw purchases and the like.)

My point was, is that any/all efforts by the industry or gun owners to
help curb any perceived problems are COMPLETELY ignored by the antis.
They don't care what we do, they just want guns banned, period, end.
Putting on a dog and pony show to make it look like we're "self regulating"
isn't going to make them go away.

At the same time, I can acknowledge that there may be some FFLs
that don't take things seriously and break the law, but ultimately they end
up getting caught and punished by the ATF, so that's mostly a self fixing
problem. The ATF is now operating on a "hair trigger" of sorts for even menial
procedural violations by the dealers. Look at the recent boobberg
incident- the very same dealers that boobberg was targeting were also
under investigation by the ATF. (And of course the ATF got pissed at him
for interfering in an ongoing investigation. ) I guess what I'm getting
at here, is the insinuation that there is no enforcement, and that nobody
is paying attention "down south" is pretty bogus.

Please don't take this to mean that I don't think that we shouldn't do
anything -more-... It's just about the reason and the methods
used. For example, having a campaign to educate more people about gun
safety and storage and the like is hardly a bad thing, but we shouldn't be
doing it with the intent of appeasing the antis. What we want
to do, however, is increase the number of legal gun owners and increase
awareness. The more owners we have, or at least the more informed people
that are out there, the better off we are as a whole... and the net
effect of those kind of programs are far more beneficial... why?

-We get to destroy media stereotypes which hurt us from various
angles. Once someone knows, they won't buy into them anymore.

-We get to foster a safety mindset; get people to learn that gun
accidents can almost completely be eliminated by following simple
procedures.

-We give people a reason to value their gun rights (a lot of people simply
have no remote clue about what it means to own or shoot a gun, even if
it's just in a recreational manner. )

Perhaps we share more in common than first meets the eye, but express our common ground differently?

That probably is more than likely the case. I'll be honest- some of my
response is in the vein of an emotional "red curtain of blood" so to speak-
I just get sick of even the remote insinuation that crime is exclusively
he fault of an inanimate object, or is the fault of gun dealers. I apologize
if I've come off as being overly hostile about it. You do seem
articulate and well read. I think what's happened here is that there are
slightly differing viewpoints on how we need to "fix" the problem. I'd rather
combat the antis through disseminating information, and making new
gun owners, making people more informed in general. The "letters to the
editor" that a lot of folks on this board write are a perfect example of
this. (amongst other things.... I know we have a lot of trainers on the
board too, and they also help, perhaps in an even bigger way. ) I just
personally believe that will bear better fruit in the long run than pretending
we're going to be able to stop criminals by ramping up enforcement; much of
which invariably gets directed at dealers and legal gun owners. (eg for
minor transgressions or false accusations.... ) There are plenty of
horror stories about the abuse of overzealous enforcement, and I'm sure you've
read and are more than familiar with them, and you realize that it's
more than just a tinfoil hat problem. The libertarian in me just says that when there
are too many laws or regs to enforce, things get rapidly out of control.... more laws,
especially dumb laws, also breeds more contempt for the law and a reduced likelihood
of them being obeyed. Absurd laws can also create problems that didn't exist before.
(look at the drug laws, for instance.. and see how wonderful that panned out. )

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom