• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Gun Club

Toe Knee

NES Member
I'm looking to join a club with a GOOD indoor range. I hear good things about Braintree's indoor range and like that it's open 24/7. I am interested in learning the following before signing up for February's orientation: 1-do you have to have a range officer present in order to shoot outdoors? 2-do they not like AR-15s? 3-how is their trap facility?

Thanks,
Tony

indoor has two ranges, one was recently redone I believe.....outside you need a RO. they have a 100 yard range, a plinking range and one other range.... you can shoot your AR outside....I do not shoot trap but alot of people do and use it.

I'm looking to join a club with a GOOD indoor range. I hear good things about Braintree's indoor range and like that it's open 24/7. I am interested in learning the following before signing up for February's orientation: 1-do you have to have a range officer present in order to shoot outdoors? 2-do they not like AR-15s? 3-how is their trap facility?

Thanks,
Tony

1. You need a range officer present on the outdoor ranges.

2. Nobody seems to mind when I've been there. Heck, I've seen full auto m16s (or at least converted ARs) on the line at the outdoor range.

3. No idea. You could check it out on a sunday though.

For the most part, is there usually a range officer there for outside range use or is it just certain days and times? Thanks for the quick info gentlemen.

Thanks,
Tony

Been already answered by MAGG and Josh but they do have 1 good and 1 ok indoor ranges. You can shoot pistol caliber (.22lr rifles are ok) and no range officer required. They are open 24/7
There are 3 outdoor ranges. The rifle range is 50 and 100 yards and you can shoot AR's (that's about all I shoot there) AK's, Garand's, etc. There are 2 outdoor pistol ranges and a .22 plinking range.

The trap looks ok but I have next to zero experience with that.

Holbrook is nice but i don't have the time for the mandatory work schedule this year. maybe when my little one gets older. nice place though.

For the most part there is one there but they volunteer and sometimes during the week do not have coverage. They always have coverage on the weekends. I've only been once when I wanted to shoot and a RO was not available.

Braintree -

Both indoor ranges open 24/7. All pistols and ammo ok to use indoors as well as .22 rifles.

RO must be present outdoor. 3 outdoor ranges. 1 rifle and 2 pistol.

Outdoor ranges open 10am to sunset. Open at noon on weekends.

After orientation costs, only $100 per year dues. Spouse only $25 per year.

Thanks,
Tony
I'm a member. I go pretty much every weekend (or try to).

To answer your questions:

1. To shoot outdoors you always need a range officer present and it shuts down at sundown or when the range offer has to leave. They do not have outdoor lights, which sort of sucks for this time of the year when its pitch black at 4 PM.

2. EVERYONE has a freaken AR. You can't go to the outdoor range without seeing at least 1~3 ARs.

3. I do trap, its fun. The trap club meets on sundays, feel free to join that if you are into it (there is an additional fee). There are certain hours (early morning) when you cannot do trap.

The club is like, 30 feet away from a condo complex, so make sure you don't open carry any handguns or rifles. Libtards have called the cops (from what I am told) and reported people "pointing guns at them" which is total BS.

The club is great, I just wish the outdoor range would have heaters, and lights so it would stay open later. :)

Thanks a lot for the information guys. Anyone have info on Hanson's indoor range?

If you live in Whitman join Hanson...

Hanson indoor range, is open 24 hours a day (if I recall correct only closed if there is a club meeting).

Outdoor ranges are good, there is no requirement for RSO to be present if you want to shoot. Only real restriction on the high power range is no .50BMG at all [sad2] and no machineguns on Sunday[crying]...

Very active trap program

I'm a member. I go pretty much every weekend (or try to).

To answer your questions:

1. To shoot outdoors you always need a range officer present and it shuts down at sundown or when the range offer has to leave. They do not have outdoor lights, which sort of sucks for this time of the year when its pitch black at 4 PM.

2. EVERYONE has a freaken AR. You can't go to the outdoor range without seeing at least 1~3 ARs.

3. I do trap, its fun. The trap club meets on sundays, feel free to join that if you are into it (there is an additional fee). There are certain hours (early morning) when you cannot do trap.

The club is like, 30 feet away from a condo complex, so make sure you don't open carry any handguns or rifles. Libtards have called the cops (from what I am told) and reported people "pointing guns at them" which is total BS.

The club is great, I just wish the outdoor range would have heaters, and lights so it would stay open later. :)

+1 for braintree, I too go once a week. Great people there and there's almost always someone in the clubhouse that can answer almost any gun question / problem you have. Can't beat the price either and freindlyness of the club. They do allow you to carry openly on their property I've seen some do so as long as your not pointing guns at the condos. Id rather just keep it concealed though

I've gone to BRP a few times and either the RO wasn't there so the range was closed, or the next shift RO never showed and the range closed early. The latter event ended up with me being there for a whopping 5 minutes before turning around and leaving.

Fighting 93 traffic is always fun - then find out the range is closed. There's a # to call to check to see if it's open, I've never tried it - not sure who picks up. What I should really do is just learn to bring something I can shoot indoors. But honestly, I prefer shooting outdoors, even if it's 20 degrees.

Braintree is a great range. Only thing they are anal retentive about is having unloaded or loaded guns handled in the break room. I don't see the harm in unloaded guns but I guess there are idiots who would ND in a break room.

Also they have a 1 guest per month policy so if that's you're thing, keep that in mind.

Clay range has an automated thrower only seen used Sunday morning. Otherwise there is a spring thrower.

Holbrook is nice but i don't have the time for the mandatory work schedule this year. maybe when my little one gets older. nice place though.

Yeah, forgot about the work parties, but it's only for initial membership. After that it's good to go.

Being a city dweller looked at both clubs years ago and get a better reception at Holbrook. At the time it was mostly truck drivers and tradesmen.

Braintree seemed to have more cops,drinking and attitudes. Didn't seem like a good environment for firearms..............

I'm sure it's all changed by now. Hanson is another nice place if you don't mind driving a little further.

Try them all if you can. [grin]

Braintree is a great range. Only thing they are anal retentive about is having unloaded or loaded guns handled in the break room. I don't see the harm in unloaded guns but I guess there are idiots who would ND in a break room.

Have you seen some of the idiots that go to BRP? God. One day I was at the line and some moron with his AK just started rattling off rounds, his buddy said 'did you hit anything?!?! hahahah' and the shooter's response was something to the extent of 'i have no idea, hahaha'

Second experience, I was in the #1 lane, blasting away w/ my Nagant, and someone flipped the cease fire with a full line of people behind the yellow. As if I were invincible. After I hollered at him - the RO noticed I was still sitting with a loaded rifle with a flashing red light and buzzer going. RO came over and spoke to the person who flipped the switch.

What I'm trying to say is, some of the clients of BRP are absolute morons. I'm surprised they don't force people to qualify for the outdoor ranges for fear of shooting the neighbors or other members.

Have you seen some of the idiots that go to BRP? God. One day I was at the line and some moron with his AK just started rattling off rounds, his buddy said 'did you hit anything?!?! hahahah' and the shooter's response was something to the extent of 'i have no idea, hahaha'

Second experience, I was in the #1 lane, blasting away w/ my Nagant, and someone flipped the cease fire with a full line of people behind the yellow. As if I were invincible. After I hollered at him - the RO noticed I was still sitting with a loaded rifle with a flashing red light and buzzer going. RO came over and spoke to the person who flipped the switch.

What I'm trying to say is, some of the clients of BRP are absolute morons. I'm surprised they don't force people to qualify for the outdoor ranges for fear of shooting the neighbors or other members.
Problem is, there will be 1 RO, for the outdoor rifle, long distance pistol and norma pistol range at times. I do agree, people do stupid shit. But you can't blame BRP for that.

Problem is, there will be 1 RO, for the outdoor rifle, long distance pistol and norma pistol range at times. I do agree, people do stupid shit. But you can't blame BRP for that.

Definitly peope do stupid shit no matter what range or club I've been to about 5 differnt ranges and 3 out of the 5 I've seen mishandling of firearms or disregard for safety

Also they have a 1 guest per month policy so if that's you're thing, keep that in mind.

Clay range has an automated thrower only seen used Sunday morning. Otherwise there is a spring thrower.

There are three issues with allowing people to handle loaded/unloaded guns in the clubhouse (as opposed to the range):

- They tend to get pointed at people . . . a LOT! Remember "treat all guns as loaded at all times" is a golden rule!!
- People were drawing loaded guns to "show" people, sometimes unloading them and sometimes NOT! We want to prevent "accidents" (negligence) and let everyone go home with no more holes in their body than they arrived in. If this doesn't suit someone (general statement, NOT directed at anyone in particular), feel free to join elsewhere where they allow gunplay in their clubhouse.
- We're trying hard to get lead levels down in the clubhouse (you'd only know this if you attended meetings) and handling ammo on the tables that we eat on (Sunday morning breakfasts and dinner meetings) plus put our hands on all the time is not healthy.

Be VERY CAREFUL with that spring thrower, the spring is very strong and I have witnessed someone get badly hurt using it. It's strongly suggested to get instructions (and tips to avoid danger) from someone experienced with it before using it. I've been a member 16 years and never used it myself.

Yeah, forgot about the work parties, but it's only for initial membership. After that it's good to go.

Being a city dweller looked at both clubs years ago and get a better reception at Holbrook. At the time it was mostly truck drivers and tradesmen.

Braintree seemed to have more cops,drinking and attitudes. Didn't seem like a good environment for firearms..............

I'm sure it's all changed by now. Hanson is another nice place if you don't mind driving a little further.

Try them all if you can. [grin]

The ONLY drinking you'll find on the property will be coffee (pot is always on and free), tea, hot chocolate, water or soda. If you see anyone with booze on the property at any time, notify a BOD member . . . they will be expelled. Alcohol and guns do not mix (at least at this gun club)! That's why our annual meeting is held at the DAV Hall, as the bar is open after the meeting (this Sunday).

I've gone to BRP a few times and either the RO wasn't there so the range was closed, or the next shift RO never showed and the range closed early. The latter event ended up with me being there for a whopping 5 minutes before turning around and leaving.

Fighting 93 traffic is always fun - then find out the range is closed. There's a # to call to check to see if it's open, I've never tried it - not sure who picks up. What I should really do is just learn to bring something I can shoot indoors. But honestly, I prefer shooting outdoors, even if it's 20 degrees.

I'm an RO, we have assigned shifts but we are all volunteers and we try to get a substitute if we can't make it (via Email to the group) but it doesn't always work out. Those that do this weekdays are obligated to do it all 52 weeks of the year (one shift/week)! Those of us on weekends only have to do it 12 times/year. It's a huge obligation and if an emergency comes up, sometimes there is no coverage. It's regrettable but sometimes unavoidable. Joe tries to have 2 ROs on each shift but some go away for the Winter (snowbirds) leaving only one to work.

The "call ahead" idea is useless. You are calling the new clubhouse and the outdoor ranges are ~1/4 mile away! If I answer I don't know if anyone is up there without taking a hike around the old clubhouse to see if the sign is there or not or perhaps open the door and listen for gunfire! Sorry there is no good answer other than bring some handguns in case you end up with indoor shooting as the only option. [I also prefer shooting outdoors year round.]

If they aren't hitting the target/berm and an RO sees it, they are supposed to shut that person down. We can't see everything and if someone seeks us out to explain an unsafe condition (and bullets bouncing off the ground or going over the berm qualifies) we can take action.

Too many are clueless about ceasefire rules (basic safety). They must have slept thru the new member class!! Many are going to the "whiz bang school" to get their LTC, learn nothing and then go out and buy ARs, AKs, etc. and just blast away. We see lots of newbies like this. If they are willing top listen and learn we can try to educate them, if they refuse to learn, we can throw them off the range (not the desired outcome). I've had people just flip the switch and start walking while people are still on the line, I've had people just stand around waiting for the RO to call a cease fire (not our job) . . . we don't "schedule" ceasefires. I tell them to go down the line and ask that whenever the other people finish what's loaded in their gun, they clear it, bench it and step back behind the yellow line and the person desiring the ceasefire ask all if they are clear before flipping the switch. Not everyone "gets it"!

Definitly peope do stupid shit no matter what range or club I've been to about 5 different ranges and 3 out of the 5 I've seen mishandling of firearms or disregard for safety

Yup! My first club someone walked downrange (indoors) on position 1 to hang a target while a friend and I were on positions 7 & 8 actively shooting. He also had an open beer can on his shooting bench. He eventually got thrown out of that club after unsafely handling firearms in the clubroom during a match.

If you live in Whitman join Hanson...

Hanson indoor range, is open 24 hours a day (if I recall correct only closed if there is a club meeting).

Outdoor ranges are good, there is no requirement for RSO to be present if you want to shoot. Only real restriction on the high power range is no .50BMG at all [sad2] and no machineguns on Sunday[crying]...

Very active trap program

I've shot trap there many times last year....the people who shoot trap there really are fantastic people....VERY tolerant of the novice shooter!

There are three issues with allowing people to handle loaded/unloaded guns in the clubhouse (as opposed to the range):

- They tend to get pointed at people . . . a LOT! Remember "treat all guns as loaded at all times" is a golden rule!!
- People were drawing loaded guns to "show" people, sometimes unloading them and sometimes NOT! We want to prevent "accidents" (negligence) and let everyone go home with no more holes in their body than they arrived in. If this doesn't suit someone (general statement, NOT directed at anyone in particular), feel free to join elsewhere where they allow gunplay in their clubhouse.
- We're trying hard to get lead levels down in the clubhouse (you'd only know this if you attended meetings) and handling ammo on the tables that we eat on (Sunday morning breakfasts and dinner meetings) plus put our hands on all the time is not healthy.
Good point about the lead levels. I don't blame BRP for this policy.

Yes be careful with the clay thrower and be sure to put it in the unsprung position. The position it is in after throwing is a precocked position. If you need help/don't have the upper body strength, call for help. That thing can split your hand open.

Thanks a lot for the information guys. Anyone have info on Hanson's indoor range?

Hanson's indoor range isn't nearly as nice as Braintree's, i think it's 6 booths, very small. I believe its nothing over 44 mag or pistol caliber carbines, no RO ever 24/7. Outdoor pistol and rifle are nice, usually during the summer there will be an RO on the rifle range but none on the pistol. I like Hanson, no Fudds and friendly people, saw a few machine guns too.

Back
Top Bottom