• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Are either of the indoor ranges available to members during the new member orientations? I would imagine the newer range is off limits since it is right next to the meeting but I wasn't sure about the older range.

Is there any reason the indoor pistol range is better or worse than the outdoor range other than the non-air conditioning? Wouldn't everybody just use the outdoor range in the summer time?

Edit 2, for the record: Paul Costello is the gentleman that handles the badges at BRP. You can easily harvest his email from the BRP site. Not gonna post it here for possible spambot reasons. Don Kusser, the VP of the club pointed me in the correct direction.
They both went well out of their way to help me out, and both gave me their personal phone numbers, just in case I had a problem. Great guys!

I've found this to be true of all BRP "management" and contact folks in my experience. Hell, even when you submit question in through their website you get a quick, intelligent answer every time.

I've found this to be true of all BRP "management" and contact folks in my experience. Hell, even when you submit question in through their website you get a quick, intelligent answer every time.
Yep. I've only had positive interactions too. The club can be sticklers on some of the rules, but they are mostly in place for safety reasons.

I belong to BRP and HSC. They are both nice for different reasons. Braintree has the best indoor ranges by far. Holbrook has the best outdoor ranges by far including several trap fields and soon the skeet field will be open. They both have archery but in Holbrook there is a multi station 3d archery course in the woods. The rifle and pistol outdoor ranges at Holbrook do not require an RO if you are a member and they have a 200 yard range as well. They have club houses at the outdoor fields with wood burning stoves to warm up in the winter. I’m not advocating one over the other except if you only shoot indoor Braintree is your club and I have never had issues with overcrowding or lines to shoot. You can have your wife join anytime after you do and it will only be the small fee.

I'm looking to join BRP - just signed up for the July 13 orientation. Took a look at the application, and it requests three references, with BRP members preferred. I don't yet know any BRP members - any advice?

LenS, any idea if anyone will be on duty this afternoon for the outdoor range? I was going to stop by after work (around 4). Not sure if there is a schedule hidden somewhere on the BRP site, I couldn't find one

LenS, any idea if anyone will be on duty this afternoon for the outdoor range? I was going to stop by after work (around 4). Not sure if there is a schedule hidden somewhere on the BRP site, I couldn't find one

The schedule is posted in the clubhouse and all ROs get occasional copies sent to them (every few years). The latest list I have is ~1 year old. It is not posted anywhere else. The 2 names for the 2nd shift are not familiar to me. The first shift crew (ending at 3PM) has two names that I know and I'm sure that they would be there for their shift.

As for the idea of "call the club to see if an RO is on duty", I've never figured out how that really is useful. There are no phones on the outdoor ranges and if you call the clubhouse there may not be anyone there and even if they are, they can't see the sign at the outdoor range gate from there. So an RO could be on the outdoor range and if nobody is shooting at that time, nobody in the clubhouse would have a clue wrt status of the outdoor ranges.

Interestingly I brought a guest on Sunday afternoon and the place was just about deserted other than the trap field.

The schedule is posted in the clubhouse and all ROs get occasional copies sent to them (every few years). The latest list I have is ~1 year old. It is not posted anywhere else. The 2 names for the 2nd shift are not familiar to me. The first shift crew (ending at 3PM) has two names that I know and I'm sure that they would be there for their shift.

As for the idea of "call the club to see if an RO is on duty", I've never figured out how that really is useful. There are no phones on the outdoor ranges and if you call the clubhouse there may not be anyone there and even if they are, they can't see the sign at the outdoor range gate from there. So an RO could be on the outdoor range and if nobody is shooting at that time, nobody in the clubhouse would have a clue wrt status of the outdoor ranges.

Interestingly I brought a guest on Sunday afternoon and the place was just about deserted other than the trap field.

Guess I'll find out when I get there. Its not too far out of my way, and worst case scenario, I have to use the indoor range. Not the end of the world for me, I would just prefer outdoors on a nice day.

Guess I'll find out when I get there. Its not too far out of my way, and worst case scenario, I have to use the indoor range. Not the end of the world for me, I would just prefer outdoors on a nice day.

[STRIKE=Oops - bad idea.]Would you mind posting a a photo of the aforementioned schedule that's in the clubhouse if you have chance? If not, I'll try to do it the next time I'm there.[/STRIKE]

By the way, does anyone know the approximate distance from the shooting bench to the end of the range on the (newer) indoor range?
How about the approximate distance from the bench to the "yellow" line? Thanks.

Last edited:
Would you mind posting a a photo of the aforementioned schedule that's in the clubhouse if you have chance? If not, I'll try to do it the next time I'm there.

By the way, does anyone know the approximate distance from the shooting bench to the end of the range on the (newer) indoor range?
How about the approximate distance from the bench to the "yellow" line? Thanks.

Please do NOT do that. Not everyone wants their names plastered across the Internet. If it is posted, I'll ask Derek to take it down. If I thought it was appropriate, I easily could have posted my copy . . . it isn't and I won't! [In fact if it is posted, it is highly likely that the list posted at the club would be taken down by the CRO or president, thus providing even less info to members.] Thank you for understanding.

Shooting distances in the "new" building are 33', 50' and 75'. In the older building (but newer range) it is 33' and 50'. Yellow line is at 33' in both ranges.

Please do NOT do that. Not everyone wants their names plastered across the Internet. If it is posted, I'll ask Derek to take it down. If I thought it was appropriate, I easily could have posted my copy . . . it isn't and I won't! [In fact if it is posted, it is highly likely that the list posted at the club would be taken down by the CRO or president, thus providing even less info to members.] Thank you for understanding.

Shooting distances in the "new" building are 33', 50' and 75'. In the older building (but newer range) it is 33' and 50'. Yellow line is at 33' in both ranges.

Oops. Sorry about that. I did not take into consideration that non-club members would also be reading this thread.

Thanks for the distances.

Who would I check with at the club for an exception on the guest policy to set up an outing on the outdoor ranges with 2 or 3 family members?

According to the rulebook:
Each member is allowed one (1) shooting guest per month. Exceptions can be made with prior permission of the chief range officer, assistant chief range officers or a member of the executive board.

Send them a message via their website. They're very responsive to these multi-guest requests (and in general), though many of the ROs don't seem to care either way.

NOTICE:

Due to the gun show this coming weekend at the club,

ALL ranges will be closed all day Sat & Sun!

"New" building will be closed all day Fri as well, but the older building range will be open as well as outdoor ranges.

This was discussed at our Range Officer's meeting Monday night. It should have been posted on the club website but hasn't been (I'm told). I'm just the messenger.

For those going to the show on Sat. Say "hi", I'll be working it, no idea what I'll be doing until I show up on Sat AM.

NOTICE:

Due to the gun show this coming weekend at the club,

ALL ranges will be closed all day Sat & Sun!

"New" building will be closed all day Fri as well, but the older building range will be open as well as outdoor ranges.

This was discussed at our Range Officer's meeting Monday night. It should have been posted on the club website but hasn't been (I'm told). I'm just the messenger.

For those going to the show on Sat. Say "hi", I'll be working it, no idea what I'll be doing until I show up on Sat AM.
LenS I should be there sat. I look forward to meeting you. Do you still have the long blonde hair in your pic LOL

Back
Top Bottom