• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

In case anyone missed it.

Lincoln Properties has informed us that they will be sealcoating the roadway leading into Matthews Lane from Liberty Street to the circle by the club entrance. The road will be closed tomorrow, Thursday, October 22, 2015 between 8 AM and 5 PM. (Not October 21)

Therefore there will be no access to the club during the seal coating until after 5 PM.

Reminder, Saturday the outdoor ranges will be closed until 2 PM.

f46f1da108b459fefef99ff1115cabe9.jpg

Well that sucks. I only brought stuff I could shoot outside, with the exception of my Glock which I was hoping to shoot the steel plates..

ETA: waiting it out to see if the 12:30 RO is running late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is there a chance he's in the clubhouse hanging around and talking?

A couple of guys showed up and talked to Joe and allowed them to be acting range officers. So the ranges were opened up. When they left, they passed the baton on to another more senior member (orange badge). I'm leaving so no clue if that'll continue for much longer. Sunset is like 445 anyways isn't it?

Thanks to those guys taking the initiative to ask if they could open the range.

im dog sitting at my buddies in Weymouth and BRP has been busy today...hearing lots of soothing bangs and pops from the range, which isnt far from his house and I am jealous I am not there [laugh]

im dog sitting at my buddies in Weymouth and BRP has been busy today...hearing lots of soothing bangs and pops from the range, which isnt far from his house and I am jealous I am not there [laugh]

Once the range finally opened, it was like the flood gates giving way. The rifle range was packed. Also got swept by a muzzle, wasn't too fond of that. Had to tell his guest to stay behind the yellow line during a cease fire too.. Blah.

Got a letter today saying dues may be raised to $125 from $100. I'm curious about the motivation for this since at the meetings I've gone to in the past it seemed like the club was doing fine financially. Haven't been able to make it in a while though. Will the annual meeting be December 14?

Got a letter today saying dues may be raised to $125 from $100. I'm curious about the motivation for this since at the meetings I've gone to in the past it seemed like the club was doing fine financially. Haven't been able to make it in a while though. Will the annual meeting be December 14?

Read the letter for the exact date, but it is always the 2nd Sunday at the DAV (since they serve alcohol after the meeting). Eric promised a presentation to justify the BOD's request. They are spending a ton on capital projects each year. Not much was said other than that at our November meeting.

Last edited:

That's too bad. I haven't been down in a long while but I've always kept membership. If they keep raising rates I'll just let it lapse. They need to do a work program like at Harvard where your volunteer work can pay off your dues. It would be way more practical.

That's too bad. I haven't been down in a long while but I've always kept membership. If they keep raising rates I'll just let it lapse. They need to do a work program like at Harvard where your volunteer work can pay off your dues. It would be way more practical.

Really??

Do you know the last time dues were raised? I've been a member 17 years and they have only raised dues once in that period of time and I'm sure it was >10 years ago.

They are considering A/C for the indoor range (it's unbearably hot in the Summer), not just the club room. That is a huge cost and since we renew the air in the range so many times/hour, the cost of electricity will skyrocket.

I'm not convinced yet about raising dues, but unlike many I'll listen to their justification before deciding which way to vote.

With >5000 members managing work parties and credits for same is a huge undertaking. BR&P unlike most all other clubs does not rely on volunteers to do work, but hires profesisonals and gets it done! My other club has taken years to do things that BR&P gets done in days/weeks.

if they raise dues I will still pay and be a member..close to home and any added money that may help the club( AC) I am down for

125 still seems reasonable to me. Especially since if rather pay a bit more than worry about work parties, its difficult enough to time to go to shoot!

I am a life member,and don't pay due's anymore but if I still did I would not have a problem with the increase. The indoor range alone is worth the money.

I am a life member,and don't pay due's anymore but if I still did I would not have a problem with the increase. The indoor range alone is worth the money.

I didn't know life membership was an option... It's not listed on the form. Did you call up and work out the details? How much is this?

You have to be a member for 25 years,and then they give you a free ride. I do have to say it's very nice of them to do so.

They are considering A/C for the indoor range (it's unbearably hot in the Summer), not just the club room. That is a huge cost and since we renew the air in the range so many times/hour, the cost of electricity will skyrocket.

They are considering A/C for the range, but continue to allow members to smoke in the club house/building..??

Are finances for BRP shared w the members? I'm just wondering how $500k is being spent over the course of a year, and reinvested into BRP and operating costs etc. They can't be losing money, but there must be some reserve that they're sitting on, and some plan in place to "keep the lights on" and make improvements. Just wondering, $125 isn't too bad for me, but at that price, I'd consider other ranges as well, since several of my friends are members elsewhere (and I prefer to shoot w them anyways).

I think the $100/year is what makes BRP so attractive.

I've only been a member since early 2009 and this would be the second annual dues increase, IIRC.

I seem to remember dues being $80 when I joined and jumping up to $100 before I even renewed for the first time in 2010.

As for the temps in the new indoor range, that is something I've found positively baffling. - no matter what the temps outside, it is usually stiflingly hot in there. It's never made any sense to me how it can be 60 outside and 75-80 inside.
It's too bad the ventilation system doesn't seem to pull in fresh air from outside to replace the dirty air it's removing from the inside.
I would also expect to be able to feel the air movement in such a setup, but that is never the case. It's quite the opposite instead; so stagnant feeling that my shooting glasses regularly fog up to the point of requiring me to stop whatever I'm doing and clear them multiple times per visit.

There were a few times this past summer that I didn't go shooting when I considered doing so because the thought of the temps in the inside range were so unappealing.

One positive though- it did motivate me to finally try the outdoor pistol ranges - on a rare opportunity to get there during daylight hours...

Anyway, a 10% increase to $110 wouldn't offend me in the least, but cranking it up 25% is a little offensive on principal. Of course it won't stop me from renewing; the place is just too convenient for me location-wise.

Maybe I will finally attend a meeting..

AA

Are finances for BRP shared w the members? I'm just wondering how $500k is being spent over the course of a year, and reinvested into BRP and operating costs etc. They can't be losing money, but there must be some reserve that they're sitting on, and some plan in place to "keep the lights on" and make improvements. Just wondering, $125 isn't too bad for me, but at that price, I'd consider other ranges as well, since several of my friends are members elsewhere (and I prefer to shoot w them anyways).

I think the $100/year is what makes BRP so attractive.

I am not rich...but I personally am not bothered an extra $25 a year....just think of the stupid stuff you spend $25 a year on..a meal or beer or butts.....But ya gotta do what you gotta do. Make the decision that suits you best.

I blow through $25 worth of ammo in 5 min.
for a place to do that, 5 minutes less a year is not even measureable.

as for needing perfect light and temp conditions to shoot ,
Is that what one will encounter when you get in a situation?
come on man!

Last edited:
Is there a December new member orientation? The orientation date I was assigned is all the way in February. I don't think I can wait that long to shoot this maverick 88 I got on black Friday.

Is there a December new member orientation? The orientation date I was assigned is all the way in February. I don't think I can wait that long to shoot this maverick 88 I got on black Friday.

No Dec. new member orientation. Jan. is probably filled and that is why you were assigned to Feb.

If people bothered to attend the monthly meetings (even one of them) they would know the finances of the club, it is part of the monthly report given to members who make the effort to be there for the meetings. Also a complete breakdown of expenditures and budget will be presented at the annual meeting a week from Sunday.

As for dues, I've been a member since 1999 and I recall it being $90/yr back then. It was bumped to $100 some time ago and thus this will be the 2nd increase over the 17 years of my membership. The intent is to fund some major range improvements that cost $100s of thousands and make sure that we have a fat reserve still "in the bank". It will all be laid out at the annual meeting and I expect to see/hear a lively debate on the floor.

Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club
December 14, 2015
DUES INCREASE

The membership at the annual meeting voted to raise dues. Dues are as follows and are now due and must be paid before March 31, 2016.

Senior dues are now $125.
Spouse renewal is $25.
Retired (must have 10 years of membership and be retired and approved by e -bd) is $60.00

Methods of payment:

1. Mail check with badge number written on it to

Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club
P.O. Box 850024
Braintree, MA 02185-0024

2. Pay in person Sunday mornings between 9 and noon.

3. Place check with badge number (no envelope) in Treasurer's Box at club.

NO FURTHER NOTICE WILL BE SENT. Disregard this notice if you have paid.

***YOU MUST REGISTER FOR THE CLUB'S NEWSLETTER AT www.brp.org

**Please e mail change of address.

I plan on renewing.

The following is posted per request of the president of Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club. The following info was explained in detail at the Annual Meeting on Sunday for those assembled (~325-350 were present) and the vote taken.

One thing to keep in mind is that BR&P runs as a fiscally sound professional org unlike every other gun club that I'm familiar with which are run like volunteer clubs without the vision towards future expenditures vs. income. I walked into our meeting thinking that 25% increase seemed high . . . until I heard the underlying numbers driving that decision. Eric also responded that the last dues increase to $100 (from $90 IIRC) was ~2004.

Knowing your association with Northeast Shooters I would appreciate it if you could advise the NES members regarding the rationale behind the BRPC dues increase.

In considering the dues increase we studied several factors. One was the BRPC’s place in the marketplace. We noted that BRPC was the least costly club from Worcester to the Cape. Of the 20 or so clubs, all had higher initiation fees and higher dues. Most required work hours. Moreover, our outdoor and indoor ranges are far superior to the others. Even with the increase of $25 we remain one of the lowest cost clubs in the area.

We also looked at our profit and loss, which as you know is discussed at each e-bd meeting and reported at the member’s meeting. A copy of all income and expenditures for each month is provided to the finance committee for review.

Our budget for 2015 was $318,000 and we spent $306,425.00 plus an additional $97,386.00 for capital improvements. Our budget in 2004 was $162,200.00 and has increased over $150,000.00 despite no increase in dues. In 2011, just four years ago, our budget was $218,000.00. In the past four years our budget, just for operating expenses, has increased $100,000.00. Given that operating costs have gone up approximately 90% in the past 10 years a dues increase of $25.00 (25%) was well warranted to maintain our financial security. Each year we lose 600-650 members who do not rejoin. That is a loss of income of between $60,000 - $65,000 per year. We also have about 500 life members who do not pay dues and add 50 new life members per year. While we have been fortunate that we have taken in approximately 800 new members for the past two years we expect this to stabilize.

While member growth is a good thing, it also results in more use of the facilities and increased costs. While both our HVAC systems are designed to re-circulate a large percentage of the filtered air, the cost of maintenance of the system to change filters, and then properly discard the filters runs 50-60K each year. More members equal more use of the club and more electricity, more heat, etc…

Also considered were construction costs and the general cost of goods for future improvements at the club.

Although the club has funds in savings, a reserve fund and an investment fund, our operating expenses account for 50% of our income. Add to that, capital improvements with the rising costs of construction and goods, and it is easy to see how our reserves could be quickly depleted.

As is usual, our members at the club, many of whom are also SES members, have done the right thing by increasing dues by a majority vote of almost 90%. This increase secures our future and allows the club to make improvements.

Happy holidays, Eric S. Goldman, President, Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club.

In addition to the above (and discussed at the meeting) they are investigating replacing the backstop in the "new" range and the numbers they are being given go from $100K to >$400K just for that project. It is not currently budgeted as they will continue investigating systems and eventually make a recommendation to the E-BOD and then the membership at a meeting prior to authorizing any work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom