• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Question

I am going down later this afternoon for my usual Sunday shooting. I have only been a member for a few months and was wondering if it was OK to bring my dog inside while I shoot? She is friendly and I don;t wont to leave her in a cold car if I don't have to. I read the rules and there is nothing in there about dogs.

BR&P Question

Hi,

1. Call ahead to see if the ranges are open today. Annual meeting this Am and ranges were closed.

2. I doubt if animals are allowed, espescially on the range. Good question. Again ask when you call.

I'm sure if you dog can recite the four rules of firearm safety she'll be allowed to stay inside. [wink] Honestly I'd be concerned about the dog's reaction to loud noises etc. and you certainly don't want her to run downrange.

I am going down later this afternoon for my usual Sunday shooting. I have only been a member for a few months and was wondering if it was OK to bring my dog inside while I shoot? She is friendly and I don;t wont to leave her in a cold car if I don't have to. I read the rules and there is nothing in there about dogs.

Sorry, just trying to catch up and spotted this thread . . .

Indoor ranges . . . there are at least 2 members that I know who bring their dogs into the club room. There are no issues or rules about this. As long as the dog would be well-behaved, not spook at the noise or try to go into the range itself, I don't see any issues. I can't officially speak for the club, just expressing my opinion and how I would handle the situation if I were there when you came in with your dog.

All ranges were closed until the Annual Meeting was over. Regrettably nobody thought to pull down the signs when we returned to the clubhouse. I did find one dutiful member sitting and "waiting for the indoor range to open" in the old clubhouse. When he mentioned that to me, I pulled down the readily visible signs and gave him the go-ahead to shoot and enjoy himself.

She won't mind the noise and is friendly (if you have treats) [smile]

004cc.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Wait until you see the range with the new over head lights in the boothes. What a difference wow.

Wait until you see the range with the new over head lights in the boothes. What a difference wow.

Huh?

Not sure what you are talking about here. I didn't see anything new on Sunday and we (New Guy and myself) toured the entire facility. Are you talking about the plans (that I haven't seen) to re-do the old range (HVAC system)?

Also, keep in mind that dogs tend to walk around and sniff the ground. Just be careful for lead exposure..

Very good point, but I suspect very little lead drops to the ground around/behind the shooting positions.

BR&P question

The lights they are talking about are above each shooting station. Franco scarpino was working yesterday morning installing flourescent lighting. Its going to be a big help for shooters who shoot iron sights.

Lou

The lights they are talking about are above each shooting station. Franco scarpino was working yesterday morning installing flourescent lighting. Its going to be a big help for shooters who shoot iron sights.

Lou

Thanks for the explanation. Does sound good! I'll check it out next Saturday when I'm there.

I was in the Old Range tonight, didn't see any new lights. The ventilation seems to be getting worse every time I am in there though; felt like I was shooting at the Manchester Firing Line. I need to go down on nights where the is no pistol/rifle practice/matches so I can use the new indoor range, ventilation in there rocks.

Braintree R&P Lighting

Bumpbailey
I know it can be frustrating if you made the trip out to shoot and we take over the range for a match. Below is our schedule if that helps. Where it says Braintree @, it is an away match and the range is open. And if we are just practicing you are more than welcome to use the range also. We don't shut it down for a practice.

Lou DeCota

9/24/2009 Braintree @ Old Colony
10/1/2009 Braintree @ Sharon
10/8/2009 Marshfield @ Braintree
10/15/2009 Braintree @ Satucket
10/22/2009 Holbrook @ Braintree
10/29/2009 Braintree @ Ames
11/5/2009 Angletree @ Braintree
11/12/2009 Open
11/19/2009 New Bedford @ Braintree
12/3/2009 Old Colony @ Braintree
12/10/2009 Sharon @ Braintree
12/17/2009 Braintree @ Marshfield
1/14/2010 Satucket @ Braintree
1/21/2010 Braintree @ Holbrook
1/28/2010 Ames @ Braintree
2/4/2010 Braintree @ Angletree
2/11/2010 Open
2/18/2010 Braintree @ New Bedford
2/25/2010 Braintree @ Old Colony
3/4/2010 Braintree @ Sharon
3/11/2010 Marshfield @ Braintree
3/18/2010 Braintree @ Satucket
3/25/2010 Holbrook @ Braintree
4/1/2010 Braintree @ Ames
4/8/2010 Angletree @ Braintree
4/15/2010 Open
4/22/2010 New Bedford @ Braintree

Thanks Lou!

I did check the calendar on the website before I went down last night. And thanks for letting me know about the practice situation.

BTW, I did find the lane lights in the new range last night, very cool.

Also, the Old Clubhouse range is ICE COLD! If there was a home match and I had to shoot in there, it would have sucked.

The rifle team shoots Tuesdays:
Braintree’s South Shore League Rifle Schedule

1st Round
10/6/09 Ames @ Braintree
10/13/09 Braintree @ Sharon
10/20/09 Braintree @ Angle Tree
10/27/09 Old Colony @ Braintree
11/3/09 Braintree @ Holbrook
11/10/09 OPEN
2nd Round
11/17/09 Braintree @ Ames
11/24/09 Sharon @ Braintree
12/1/09 Angle Tree @ Braintree
12/8/09 Braintree @ Old Colony
12/15/09 Holbrook @ Braintree
12/22/09 OPEN
12/29/09 OPEN
3rd Round
1/5/10 Ames @ Braintree
1/12/10 Braintree @ Sharon
1/19/10 Braintree @ Angle Tree
1/26/10 Old Colony @ Braintree
2/2/10 Braintree @ Holbrook
2/9/10 OPEN
4th Round
2/16/10 Braintree @ Ames
2/23/10 Sharon @ Braintree
3/2/10 Angle Tree @ Braintree
3/9/10 Braintree @ Old Colony
3/16/10 Holbrook @ Braintree

If you see them practicing they appreciate you not setting up right next to them with a 357SIG.

Also be aware the juniors shoot every Friday from 7:00-9:30 pm. We ask everyone to pick up and leave at 6:45 so we can set up the ranges. No one else is allowed on the range when the juniors are shooting even if there is only a couple. Please do not put the junior's director in the uncomfortable position to explain why the juniors need the whole range when you show up to shoot during this time. We clear the line at 9:30 and take about 10-15 minutes to sweep and reconfigure the range for pistol ops. Thanks for understanding.
mike

I'll be taking the new member orientation that sunday. I'm pretty pumped [smile]

question: after the orientation, can I immediately use the ranges? I've been itching to shoot a new rifle.

is there an easy way to get from the Braintree T Stop to the range? My annual is up at my current club and Im looking for a change of venue. Thanks.

is there an easy way to get from the Braintree T Stop to the range? My annual is up at my current club and Im looking for a change of venue. Thanks.

that's exactly what I'm doing [grin]

here's what google maps suggests for using the T... it looks like it's either a bit of a walk or you can use the bus for a little bit to cut it down.

If you need a ride, I can pick you up on my way there in the morning. I live in Brighton.

I'll be taking the new member orientation that sunday. I'm pretty pumped [smile]

question: after the orientation, can I immediately use the ranges? I've been itching to shoot a new rifle.

As far as I know, if you have the LTC/FID when you do the orientation they set up your card that day, and once you are done with it you can freely move out to shoot that day. When I got in I hadnt gotten the lic yet, so I had to wait a couple weeks, but there were a couple guys who were ready to shoot same day.

This Sunday is the new member orientation, can members still use the "new" range while this is going on?

No, while the new member orientation is going on, the range in that building is closed. The noise would be too distracting to run a class. There are 120 people registered for this new member class! [shocked] Of course 20-25 will likely not show up, but that's still a huge group.

Yes, providing there is a range officer on duty at the outdoor range. During cold/nasty weather, we tend to hang out in the indoor ranges until/unless someone shows up that wants to shoot outdoors. So look around the clubhouses if the sign (range is closed) is still up on the driveway to the outdoor range. NOTE: No outdoor shooting until 12 Noon on Sundays.

Yes, but it is ~1 mile from the Braintree T to BR&P. Leave the station and walk to the Right. At the next traffic light (Pearl St.) take a Left and go to the dumb rotary. Take a Right on Liberty St and walk up to the roadway immediately after the DAV Hall on the Left. Take that Left to the dumb rotary and the driveway to BR&P is on your Right at that rotary.

Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy the club!

No, while the new member orientation is going on, the range in that building is closed. The noise would be too distracting to run a class. There are 120 people registered for this new member class! [shocked] Of course 20-25 will likely not show up, but that's still a huge group.

Thanks Lens

Another Sunday in the Old Range. O well. The old range is not bad at all, I just like the new one. If it's not too cold maybe I can shoot outside.

Welcome to the club new guys! I used the range right after my orientation, so shoot away. (need to have your LTC of course)

I'm looking forward to the orientation myself. Will be nice to get to know my new purchase a little bit better.

I'm looking forward to the orientation myself. Will be nice to get to know my new purchase a little bit better.

Please understand that the purpose of the orientation class is ONLY to teach you the rules of the club. What targets can be used where, what distances, paper only (except .22 plinking range), outdoor shooting hours, etc. Nothing in that class has to do with any particular gun, how to use it/clean it, etc.

Ref. the dog question, I ran a Springer for ten years and a Shorthair for 12 on the club property but different times and fewer people then. People have periodically brought pets to the club but it is rare. The only exception is the Recording Sec. who brings his trained Shepard up to the office most Sundays. Keep in mind not all people are dog lovers. I can count the number of times my dogs were in the Clubhouse as less then a dozen over 20 years. It is BRP not Braintree Rod and Hunt though I wish it were. Never saw a dog on the firing line in over 40 years when shooting was going on. Hope this helps. ..daryl

Back
Top Bottom