• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club - Braintree, MA

Thanks for the clean start. It was becoming a little crazy.

Quick update on the outdoor ranges.
The work on the short pistol range is about 75% complete. The benches have been redesigned, and the area leveled, graded, and stone dust put down. The eyebrow on the berm is being constructed right now (June 18). It should be back in operation shortly. That will give us an operational outdoor pistol range again.

The work on the competition pistol range is more involved and will take a little longer. Steel has to be fabricated to support the new baffle groups, and the baffles themselves erected.

The rifle range was never out of operation.

Thanks for your patience.

Ross (Club secretary, CMP director, grass cutter extraordinaire )

Last edited:
On a side note I'll be there tomorrow in the AM with a friend of mine who just got his LTC and needs to pick up his key card. Look for me in the black infidel shirt. Unless theres more than one of us lol.

I believe that the current plan is for the targets to hang from the current overhead baffles, rather than being on the ground. that would make the distances about 28 feet and 50 feet. ( give or take). there may be a movable frame for 7 yards but that is not certain yet. The plinking range remains the same.

Ok so it looks like it'll cost me 145.00 to sign up, I can print out the form at home; fill it out and bring it with me on the safety course day (July 12th). The only other thing I need to do right now is reserve a seat for the course.

Then I go and by noon that day I can shoot?

Just want to be sure............I can print out the form and bring that with me along with the 145.00 on the day of the course. If thats it I am going to sign up. I cant find anything close to me with an indoor rifle range so oh well.

Yea I figured that, I was going to sign up at Hanson but they have the same rule and I dont want to drive through Brockton haha

The guest policy may make or break it. They say 1 guest per month..... They also say exceptions are made. I think my fiance is going to want to go with me once a week or once every other week, is that going to be an issue? What happens if I want to bring someone new with me whenever I go? Is there a fee or do they simply not let you in?

Last edited:
PS,

There probably aren't a handful of ranges in MA that allow CF rifles indoors. The only one I know of for sure is AFS and that's a commercial operation, not a club, thus higher cost.

BR&P only allows RF rifles indoors.

As for guests, there is a written rule:

http://www.brp.org/ClubRules/tabid/1283/Default.aspx#Guest_Policy

XIII. GUEST POLICY
- Each member is allowed one (1) shooting guest per month. Exceptions can be made with prior permission of the chief range officer, assistant chief range officers or a member of the executive board.
- The member must directly supervise and coach the guest at all times. No exceptions!
- No member is allowed to let more than one guest shoot at a time.
- A member and their guest are allowed use of one (1) shooting station only.
Members are responsible for the actions of their guest. If the guest violates any club rule, the member will be held responsible.
- Arrangements can be made for special groups with the chief range officer, assistant chief range officers or a member of the executive board.

But, from a practical point of view . . . as long as the range isn't overcrowded and paid members waiting for a shooting position, I have never seen anyone hassled for bringing 2 or even 3 guests. You are still responsible for them and their actions. If they are experienced shooters and are abiding by all the safety rules, this RO won't hassle you if you use 2 shooting positions . . . as long as no paid members are waiting to shoot (just about unheard of when all ranges are open).

I think every other time I'll have one guest and I wont be going more than once a week at most. As long as they are reasonable then I'll give it a whirl.

I just sent the request to reserve my spot for the July 12th course. Man, not that far away but I cant wait. If any of you guys go shooting and your bored and want company send me a pm. :)

I spoke to someone at the range a few minutes ago, everything is in place for me to show up on the 12th. I look forward to being able to shot whenever I'm bored.

The outdoor rifle range will be fun, I have adjusted my 1911 a bit and I want to really zone the pistol in and the rifle will just be a blast to get better at.

outdoor range-pistol

Hey-M1groupie-is the 1st pistol range completion on schedule? The e-board said 3 weeks at the last members meeting at the beginning of the month.again,this is asked to M1groupie only(sorry Lens and N1heu)thanks! [grin]

The construction is 95% complete. The eyebrow is on the backstop. I think they may want to put down some more crushed stone, and then put down the chopped rubber over it. According to the chief range officer, it should be about another week . I should have the new modified target frames ready today (friday 6-26). Feel free to drop by the range and check out the layout.

I know that it seems like it has been going on forever, but it should be done fairly soon.

For those newer members of the club, I'd like to note that the main clubhouse/range everyone takes for granted took a total of about 5 years to construct. As a matter fact, the range equipment wasn't even installed in the completed building until about 2 years after it was occupied. When the grand opening took place, there was a catered lunch in the new building with about 100 members present. members who had been waiting to shoot there for years. one hour later, I was the only person left in the building. Once it was complete, everyone pretty much ignored it.

Ross

Last edited:
PS,

There probably aren't a handful of ranges in MA that allow CF rifles indoors. The only one I know of for sure is AFS and that's a commercial operation, not a club, thus higher cost.

BR&P only allows RF rifles indoors.

Just an FYI:

The MRA in Woburn allows center fire fifles indoors at 75 feet and .22 rimfire rifles at 50 feet without a round limit. Shotguns are limited to slugs and three rounds.

The outdoor pistol/plinking range is now open. I was there today. Its a lot more fun being outside. That said, the steel overhang bounces the sound right back in your face. You can hear the steel ringing for a couple seconds after you take a shot. Its a little annoying. Maybe they can put some sound dampening material on there.

Does anyone know how long the outdoor rifle ranges are at Braintree? LenS was kind enough to give me a tour a few months ago, but I forget...

Thanks,

Rich

Update I received this morning......[grin]

OUTDOOR RANGE UPDATE

The outdoor pistol range (and plinking range for .22's only) is now officially open.

We are awaiting the arrival of the steel for the overhead baffles for the middle range and expect work to begin on the middle range very soon. In the interim, the older pistol range will remain open and operational with a range officer present.

Modifications to this range have been substantial. All steel brackets and railroad ties were removed. Hanging targets have been installed and the bench tops have been replaced with removable tops. Extensive grading has occurred and topped with a combination of stone dust and rubber compound. The berms have been raised and an eyebrow installed to the berms to prevent bullet skips.

These modifications have been a major undertaking for the club, not to mention a major expense. The executive board has endeavored to make certain, to the best of our abilities, that bullets do not leave our property and to insure that the project was done correctly. Much gratitude goes to Joe Tamulis for overseeing this project.

Similar modifications will occur on the middle range, plus the construction of an additional overhead baffle.

Other projects at the club include renovations to out new indoor range HVAC system to include the addition a "diffuser" on the range makeup air behind the shooters to better regulate and more evenly distribute air flow.

Also, a new HVAC system has been designed and will be installed in the old indoor range with work to begin at the end of the summer.

Members meetings held on the second Monday of the month will continue through the summer.

Eric S. Goldman, President

Checked out the new range today (Saturday around 1:00) and must say that I am very satisfied.

Some people might not like the way that the target holders are hung from the overhead structures due to the movement when the wind blows, but it is not a big deal in my opinion.

It is a very nice setup and they did a great job. The plinking range is vastly improved as well with an arch that can be used to hang targets by string.

I spoke with the range officer on duty and he said that he had a lot of shooters up there checking out the range and that everyone seemed to like it.

Thumbs up to BR& P for getting it done right.

BTW, a trick someone taught me to minimize target movement is to use large paperclips or binder clips on the bottom of the target to give it weight and stability.

Back
Top Bottom