Brand new 1979 Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum revolver unboxing

JRT

NES Member
This is kind of a cool history lesson on old S&W revolvers. This is one of my favorite gun shops here in the Philadelphia area, they bought some older guns from an FFL that gave up his license. This revolver has never been out of the box since it left Springfield in 1979. They are going to auction this off on Gunbroker if you want to own this beauty.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ws6IuQAog

Well, they'll never be able to say that again... Nice wheelie!
I was a little annoyed they never once said the model in the whole video. I own a few wheel guns but I’m not a wheel gun expert by any means. I still don’t know what it is lol.

I was a little annoyed they never once said the model in the whole video. I own a few wheel guns but I’m not a wheel gun expert by any means. I still don’t know what it is lol.
Looks like a model 29 4 inch in nickel finish to me. But......it could be a model 629 as they came out with the stainless 629 in 1978. I can't tell from the vid if it's nickel or stainless.

I have a 4 inch 629 and it looks exactly like that.

Last edited:
Looks like a model 29 4 inch in nickel finish to me. But......it could be a model 629 as they came out with the stainless 629 in 1978. I can't tell from the vid if it's nickel or stainless.

I have a 4 inch 629 and it looks exactly like that.
I think they said it's nickel in the video, no?

They almost should have left it alone...

I would think that that would have sold for BooKoo Bucks if they left it alone...

Where else are you going to find a gun still in an UNOPENED SHIPPING BOX!!!

They could have gotten a lot more money if they didn't cut it open...

Leap of Faith though... but I like the way you think.

I would think that that would have sold for BooKoo Bucks if they left it alone...

Then if you bought it, what would you do with it? Jack.

I’ve never bought a gun that the FFL didn’t pull from the package to confirm the SN. Since that came from another FFL I think that’s why it was never opened.

Then if you bought it, what would you do with it? Jack.
Me? Shoot it, and often!

Normally I absolutely hate unboxing videos and click on them for a good laugh (at the subjects of the video). One of these days I'm going to post an 'unboxing' video of a box of Fruit Loops- that's what I think of such videos. However, these guys get a pass for actually opening something cool.

I’ve never bought a gun that the FFL didn’t pull from the package to confirm the SN. Since that came from another FFL I think that’s why it was never opened.

No, they said it was just a guy that bought it...

That guy was thinking of opening an FFL, but he never did...

So, he had all these guns and they bought them from him...

No, they said it was just a guy that bought it...

That guy was thinking of opening an FFL, but he never did...

So, he had all these guns and they bought them from him...

Sounded like he had the FFL, bought some stuff for when he starts a shop "someday," then realized "someday is never going to come.
I have never heard that but it can’t be the Hillary? She wasn’t even relevant when that got added. What’s Hilary hole mean?
My understanding was that it started under Clinton and that she got some various concessions from manufacturers as First Lady, the S&W lock being one of them.

Leave it alone and never open it, that is a Collector Item...

A Collector Item that's not worth as much now that they cut it open...

Yep. Buy another one that's been fired and loved and love it some more...

I have never heard that but it can’t be the Hillary? She wasn’t even relevant when that got added. What’s Hilary hole mean?
She most certainly was. The locks didn't come on s and w guns until about 2001 but the shit sandwich that started it happened at the end of the Clinton presidency.

Google "Hillary hole" and you get about 88 million hits talking about the internal lock on s and w revolvers.

Last edited:
They didn't specifically say it was a #29-2, but I know the -3 came out in 1982.
They mentioned it was pinned and recessed.....which to my knowledge means its a -1 or -2 because the -3 got rid of pinned barrels and recessed cylinders.

I guess I get it, being a car guy, there is a GNX in California still sitting on a GM dealerships showroom. Has like 80 miles on it, all driving to get oil changes over the decades. edit (oil changes at that dealership, driving from the showroom to the service center).

Is 'this' particular gun a 'remarkable' firearm like a Python? I know nothing about revolvers. Not even really a 'gun' guy. I just like the smell of expended gun powder.

Back
Top Bottom