Brass catcher for indoor range

I shoot 38 super and recently got into reloading - love it. One problem with shooting in busy indoor ranges with narrow lanes is that I lose a lot of my brass. Has anybody used a brass catcher that works well?

Ideally this is something I can place on the table and not attach to my gun or cover my gun. The lanes are typically narrow so not a lot of room.

Ideas, experiences?

I used one on a .45acp when I was developing loads and didn't feel like bending to retrieve brass. They work good if that's the way you want to go but don't let the brass accumulate in the little device. That little bit of weight will change the dynamics of your shooting if you are say practicing for competition. I shot from a rest when using it and only let no more than 3 pieces of brass stay in it at a time. I've also seen folks jury rig stuff to trap brass at their stations, some work kinda sorta ok, others, not so much. I think my brass catcher came from Herters (sp). It replaced the grip panel and had a wire which attached a little butterfly net. Looked gimpy but did its job.

Last edited:
Get an ammo can.
get a big net.

You can cut the end of the net and attach the pole to the ammo can. (Imagine like a net used to catch fis in an aquarium, but bigger). You shoot, the brass hits the net and falls in the ammo can.

I think there is a company that sells something similar. Just Google ammo can brass catcher.

I seem to catch plenty of hot casings in my shirt...

I've seen a few DIY creations made from 1/2" pvc and mesh. It could probably be made for $20 and break down to fit in a range bag.

Hmm I wonder if this would work for catching my 30-06 and 30 carbine brass. That brass gets tossed far and I waste so much time looking through the grass.

I use this for both pistol and rifle. Works great and mounts to any camera tripod. The only problem is you have to keep adjusting it every time you change your rifle. For example, my CETME whips my brass forward while my HK SL6 slings them over my head. Nonetheless, I spend a whole lot less time searching for brass that I never find in the grass again. Once it's set up, it grabs everything my rifles toss at it.

I use this for both pistol and rifle. Works great and mounts to any camera tripod. The only problem is you have to keep adjusting it every time you change your rifle. For example, my CETME whips my brass forward while my HK SL6 slings them over my head. Nonetheless, I spend a whole lot less time searching for brass that I never find in the grass again. Once it's set up, it grabs everything my rifles toss at it.

Are you using the one from the amazon link?
I read a review that said that it melts easy. Do you find that it melts?

Are you using the one from the amazon link?
I read a review that said that it melts easy. Do you find that it melts?
I'm using the Amazon link for the Caldwell Brass Catcher. It hasn't melted at all for me and my CETME fires some scolding hot brass. If anything would melt it, it would be that rifle.

Last edited:
People pay $95 for that? [laugh]

Buy once, cry once. I have the Caldwell and I wish I hadn't wasted my money. By the time you put a decent tri-pod you're close to $95 and the tri-pod takes up a lot of bench space (too much at some of the ranges with more cramped ports). That one has a base that takes up very little room on the bench, is very adjustable and portable. A lot of people consider it money well spent.

Awesome!

Another question, can I sit that on top of the bench without a tripod? Or is a tripod required?

If anyone is ordering from amazon don't forget to use the Comm2a link.

http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=com0d0-20

No, a tripod isn't required. It has a metal base (that has the screw hole for the tripod mount) that sits just fine on a bench. I only use the tripod when I'm freeing standing or using a pistol/rifle that really flings the brass. I use a $15 tripod that I grabbed at a Walmart. You don't need to drop a ton on a good tripod anyone will work. I spent a total of $50 on the package ($35 for the Caldwell on sale at Cabela's and $15 for the tripod). Works great for me, but that's been my experience with it so far.

I tried out the Caldwell net at both an outdoor range and indoor range. Amazing, this is worth 40 bucks for sure. Especially at MFS, i set this up on a camera tripod. ran thru 400 rounds (9mm, 38 super) and it caught 100% of them. At the outdoor range (HSA in Hopkinton), caught about 95%.. the only snag was that because of the light weight, it toppled over in the wind a few times. I need to get a ballast weight to put on the tripod hook, but thats it. Did not have to go bend and find my ammo, saved time and effort for the 650 rounds i did in total across the two sessions. Keeper!

Back
Top Bottom