Brass Catcher

We shoot at an outdoor range (Barnstable) where there is tons of old brass on the ground. I'm interesed in finding or making a brass catcher that could be free standing or attach to the shooting bench for 45 and 223 shooting . I have a rigid catcher for the 45 and am looking a better solution.

Pop-Up Hamper For Bench Shooting

For shooting off of a rest from a bench, a pop-up hamper with one side cut open and folded over the top as a "cover", works well. It is almost two feet tall and 14 inches wide. Position it ~10 inches to the right of your ejection port and 99% of your brass will be captured. The hamper is made of mesh, so it has some wind resistance, and I place my spotting scope case in the bottom for some added weight.

http://www.target.com/Spider-Man-3-Pop-Up-Hamper/dp/B000NNCETE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=hamper&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Spider-Man%203%20Pop-Up%20Hamper&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=hamper

For standup pistol or rifle shooting, I am considering making a wooden base that will attach to an old tripod to raise the hamper to the necessary height. For $10, the hamper is certainly useful, and as it folds flat, it stays in my trunk.

You may want to take a look at Bubca.com, they manufacture brass catchers using .50 cal ammo cans as the support base and carrying case. Two models, two feet and three feet high.

As with any device that is not attached to the firearm, placement is all-important. [wink]

I seem to recall that Four Seasons was selling a stand-alone brass catcher that looked like a fine mesh fishing net atop a vertical pole stand.

You might give them a call.

For off the bench shooting I just use my range bag. Place it so it stands up vertically with the opening pointing towards you. If you are shooting bullseyes with a bolt gun, it can be placed so it catches everything.

For shooting off of a rest from a bench, a pop-up hamper with one side cut open and folded over the top as a "cover", works well. It is almost two feet tall and 14 inches wide. Position it ~10 inches to the right of your ejection port and 99% of your brass will be captured. The hamper is made of mesh, so it has some wind resistance, and I place my spotting scope case in the bottom for some added weight.

http://www.target.com/Spider-Man-3-Pop-Up-Hamper/dp/B000NNCETE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=hamper&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Spider-Man%203%20Pop-Up%20Hamper&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=hamper

I really like this idea, but would a Batman hamper work as well, or does the lack of "Spidey Sense" make him worse at catching brass? [wink][smile]

I love Barnstable range, for a town resident 25 dollars for a year is a GREAT deal. However, people abuse the range so much. Im going there tomorrow to spend some time with the good ol' AR.....anyone want to come [smile]

I know, it's neither Spidey nor Superman, but Midway has a brass catcher net that sits on the bench or can be mounted on a photo tripod...

It's a lot more expensive than the laundry hampers... but I'll bet that the mesh stands up to the plastic-melting tendencies of hot brass a lot better than the hampers will...

One of the problems to overcome is that you just want to shoot and not have to think about positioning yourself so that the brass goes in the right place. That might give Spidey the edge. They also come in a "My Little Pony" version, or just plain colors too.

The melting hamper could be a problem. They get hot.
Here is another variant on the hamper. http://www.containerstore.com/shop/laundry/hampers?productId=10008467

The Wiz would be good in most places, but Barnstable has decades of junk brass on the ground.

Time flies when you're having fun. I feel like a forum Grandpa with four years. Just bought a nice .45 for my son on here yesterday.

Last edited:
Now, this is my favorite kind of brass catcher!

633874718234474945-gunsandcleavage.jpg

Christmas tree shops sometimes has this collapsible garden bag thing that might work like the hamper - it's about 24" dia. and collapses down to about 2" flat...pretty cheap iirc

I don't get to the tree much but I'll keep my eyes open for one when I do get there.

Back
Top Bottom