• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brass rat tip: "GSSF"

allen-1

NES Member
Glock Sport Shooting Foundation is a marketing exercise run by Glock. They bring their staff, targets and rules to your range and run a very specific match. Somewhat similar to Steel Challenge, the stages are constant. When you shoot a GSSF match, you know exactly what the course of fire is, because it's always that same course of file.

We just had our third one here outside of Savannah. Our inaugural match in 2018 had 900+ entries, (a single shooter can enter in multiple divisions); 2019 we had 800+ entries, and this past weekend we had 500+ entries.

If you're shooting sub-major, or pocket glock, you'll load 7 rounds, otherwise 11 and fire up to 10. Stage "5 to Glock" requires either 5 or 10 rounds; "GlockM" is the same, and the plate racks have six plates. You shoot each stage 3 times, except the plates which you shoot 4 times.

Which leads me to why this is in the reloading section - THAT'S A LOT OF BRASS -

The match is designed as a marketing exercise - experts shoot it - but anyone can. So, every course of fire is shot from a fixed point. No reloading on the clock.

And all that brass ends up on the tarps put down by the firing positions...

If you're ROing and you're a brass rat - you pick it up in between shooters.

IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1681.JPG

Between being an RO at several GSSF matches and a whole bunch of sectional and Area USPSA matches, I collected buckets full of brass. Small pay but great times. 😊

They'll let you pick it up, but they'll tell you to beat feet once the plates are painted. Gotta move move move!
The .38 supercomp guys scramble like madmen

That brass is big bucks.
And you can't pick it up at yoru local gun club off the floor.

I used to shoot in an evening league in CT (Chris' Indoor Range in Guilford, CT) with a guy who reloaded this beautiful nickel plated starline .38 super brass. After I moved away over the next several years I would find some of his brass when I was sorting and cleaning. I saved it up and a couple of years ago mailed it to him as a Christmas gift. I got a nice thank you note back. Ha.

Back
Top Bottom