• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brass

When I shoot the .45, 9mm and .22 there is brass all over the ground. I usually pick it up and throw it away. It seems like a waste, but I am not sure if it is reusable for someone else?

Most ranges have brass buckets. When they get full they sell the brass to scrap yards. Some ranges use the money to improve the range while other give it to charities. Don't just toss it in the trash. If your club does not have brass buckets, start one.

Save the 45 and 9mm brass. You'll either start reloading at some point, at which time you'll have a nice starter collection, or you can give it to a buddy who reloads and they'll thank you for the donation.

22 is less valuable since it's not reloadable. You could save it and sell it for scrap, but the payoff is a lot less than with reloading. I usually just toss my 22 brass in the brass bucket.

If you know someone with a bullet swagger, there are dies to use .22LR brass to make .223 jackets.

Check to see if your range has a brass bucket. If not, they should start one. Or better yet, 4 (if you're members are willing to police and sort their own casings)

One for Brass & Boxer
One for Aluminum
One for Steel
One for Brass & Berdan

Sorted metal scrap is worth more than unsorted metal scrap, so the 3 buckets that go to the scarp yard will be worth more to the club if its sorted (if your members are willing to take the time to sort it)
Find member(s) or non-members to sell the brass & boxer buckets to as they'll pay more than the scrap yard will (and likely more than mixed range casings, which might contain large numbers of non-reloadable casings)

Most ranges have brass buckets. When they get full they sell the brass to scrap yards. Some ranges use the money to improve the range while other give it to charities. Don't just toss it in the trash. If your club does not have brass buckets, start one.

This.

Mis-Quoting Dwarven1 here: "Save the brass you will reload, put the rest of the brass in the bucket for the club so they can get more funding to improve the range". I save all my .45, .40, 9mm... the Mosin brass with the primers that cannot be reloaded(berdan?) and the 22 stuff all went in the bucket. When I start reloading, I'll have a good selection of brass to use, and the stuff I can't use helps offset operating costs(a little)... it's a win/win scenario!

Here's a question for everyone:

If your range did add sorted casing buckets would you use them? how much would you sort?

The 4 I listed above?

Seperate Pistol and Rifle reloadable brass?
a couple of individual calibers for reloadable brass?

I'm just wondering how much effort the community would go through to improve the value of their spent casings.

When I shoot the .45, 9mm and .22 there is brass all over the ground. I usually pick it up and throw it away. It seems like a waste, but I am not sure if it is reusable for someone else?

Save it for me, will be there in October to pick it up from you! :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

We have brass buckets at our range and you would not believe the crap that gets tossed into them despite trash barrels being right next the them. I never understand why people dump shot up targets, torn up ammo boxes, plastic ammo trays, shot shells, rocks, cigarette butts, sand, leaves and other debris into the brass bucket when there is a trash barrel right there. Too lazy to lift open the lid of the barrel I guess. I don't think anyone at my club would sort anything at all....many just don't care.

many just don't care.

Unfortunate, but true.

I can honestly say that if a range I was at (member or visitor) and they had seperate bins, I would seperate for them, but I reload so most of my brass goes home with me anyway.

Was visiting a club once that had seperate bins for reloadable brass / non-reloadable brass and "I don't know" brass plus used targets, aluminum cans, recyclable plastic, Glass and cardboard as well as general trash.

The group I was with carefully sorted everything we had out, I wish I could say what we saw in the bins could be described as even "mostly" properly sorted. It wasn't.

We have brass buckets at our range and you would not believe the crap that gets tossed into them despite trash barrels being right next the them. I never understand why people dump shot up targets, torn up ammo boxes, plastic ammo trays, shot shells, rocks, cigarette butts, sand, leaves and other debris into the brass bucket when there is a trash barrel right there. Too lazy to lift open the lid of the barrel I guess. I don't think anyone at my club would sort anything at all....many just don't care.

Wow, I don't feel so bad for occasionally just mixing my rimfire and centerfire brass in the rimfire (sold for scrap) bucket. If someone wants my free brass out of the centerfire bucket, I don't feel bad letting them sort it but I would sort if there were separate buckets.

I was at the range a month ago and 3 guys with AR-15's and an AK where done shooting and sweeping up the brass but moving to toss it in the trash can as the club has no brass bucket. Thankfully I managed to stop them from tossing all that nice brass out, no steel casings, only brass which I took and added to the brass bucket I keep at home. I finally broke down and bought one of the brass mowers/collectors after I had a hard time moving after being bent over so much picking the brass up and making sure the cases were not steel.

Back
Top Bottom