• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Breaker Breaker need a CB Antenna

Discones have no gain to speak of, but they are extremely wide band. That means they will show very low SWR over a very wide swath of frequencies. That's why they make good scanner antennas. They will work from 144 mhz up to a gig.
And yes, you can built or buy a discone for cb. It's just bigger than the ones that are used for scanning.

I've gotten more play time on my rig recently. I have a home built center-fed dipole using 2 x 106 ss whips on a simpson tie. In my old location, I had it vertical. It did well from the east coast to the midwest. - occasional Texas.
It's now horizontal and in the attic along the ridge board. I'm getting more upper US west coast, and more england, ireland, scottland.

I got a good Fla contact yesterday (surprising given the east/west horizontal orientation), any my first (over the top) overseas just now.
:)

2 x MFJ SS whips.

I used to be able to go into a CB and dial up the wattage a little, but seeing it is not linear the gain from 4 to 7 wasn't great.

The fun part was the PLL02A chips for the PLL could be tricked into giving additional channels, the business band above CB by cutting the foil on the #10 pin and bridging it with a switch to give it a 0 or 1.

Had to have a frequency counter for the initial setup to find what channels were still in the 27 Mhz range and what ones were so far off that you'd fry the finals.

I used to be able to Dx to the midwest from my car on some of the upper channels

I used to be able to go into a CB and dial up the wattage a little, but seeing it is not linear the gain from 4 to 7 wasn't great.

The fun part was the PLL02A chips for the PLL could be tricked into giving additional channels, the business band above CB by cutting the foil on the #10 pin and bridging it with a switch to give it a 0 or 1.

Had to have a frequency counter for the initial setup to find what channels were still in the 27 Mhz range and what ones were so far off that you'd fry the finals.

I used to be able to Dx to the midwest from my car on some of the upper channels

Frying the finals wasn't usually the problem, the PLL unlocking or the radio going deaf was a bigger problem. Most 02A radios only went negative 10-20 channels and maybe 40 above 40 if you did it right...

Back
Top Bottom