Breaker Breaker need a CB Antenna

Knob Creek

NES Member
Someone just gave me a NIB 40 Channel CB Radio. I'd like to set it up at home what would be a good antenna that won't break the bank? Would it work on my 10 Meter DiPole?

Yes but you would probably have to run a tuner to get the SWR down. Also horizontal polarization is going to suck for local but might work well for skip/dx. I talked to Belgium once on SSB on an 11m dipole.

If I'm not mistaken they have SWR converters that will take mismatched antennas and radios and it has the capability to correct the SWR back to 1:1 which is ideal. But those are really expensive. I know they make 12 volt versions because some people who have mobile ham radios in their cars also use antenna tuners to compensate for the frequencies they are working on.

If I'm not mistaken they have SWR converters that will take mismatched antennas and radios and it has the capability to correct the SWR back to 1:1 which is ideal. But those are really expensive. I know they make 12 volt versions because some people who have mobile ham radios in their cars also use antenna tuners to compensate for the frequencies they are working on.
They're not that expensive maybe a hundred bucks or so maybe less if your build your own.... tuners only start to get pricey when you start running power (over 100-200W) or you want something that's automatic...

They're not that expensive maybe a hundred bucks or so maybe less if your build your own.... tuners only start to get pricey when you start running power (over 100-200W) or you want something that's automatic...

I have considered building a backpack radio for years now and I've seen what other people have done and generally they use one of the automatic tuners like you say and generally will have 2 or 3 antenna ports on the backpack setup. They do work awesomely. I've seen them in operation and they can quickly calculate a 1:1 SWR.

Di pole, start with 9 feet each side of any gauge wire and cut back for trim, it's cheap. I pick up a Uniden SSB and run it off my 10-80 meter vertical with a tuner so you should have no problems on a di pole with a tuner. IDK with all the Ham radios I have I only bought the SSB because my daughter got one.

These 2 below, are some decent rated antennas (and you should also be able to get these same ones as magnetic base antennas):

Amazon product ASIN B0036QYUQAView: https://smile.amazon.com/WILSON-305-495-3500-Watt-Trucker-Antenna/dp/B0036QYUQA/ref=sr_1_6?crid=19GA4XBCX4FWE&dchild=1&keywords=wilson+2000+magnetic+mount+cb+antenna&qid=1613755723&sprefix=wilson+2000+%2Cinstant-video%2C138&sr=8-6

Amazon product ASIN B001JSYA5SView: https://www.amazon.com/K40-TR-40BK-Center-Trucker-Antenna/dp/B001JSYA5S/ref=pd_sbs_4?pd_rd_w=2OifO&pf_rd_p=3ec6a47e-bf65-49f8-80f7-0d7c7c7ce2ca&pf_rd_r=YX6W2DEZ9QRKN9FG5VFX&pd_rd_r=e779d8e5-6a33-4177-9e95-d46cb5e3d270&pd_rd_wg=4BQBV&pd_rd_i=B001JSYA5S&psc=1

Also consider installing a spring base part (if your antenna hits an overhanging tree branch, drive-thru, or other obstruction, the antenna will give-way instead of snapping the antenna off):

Amazon product ASIN B01HIZ56WQView: https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Trucker-Medium-Stainless-Antenna/dp/B01HIZ56WQ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=antenna+spring+base&qid=1613755747&s=instant-video&sr=1-5

Amazon product ASIN B07KRTCZBCView: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KRTCZBC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07KRTCZBC&pd_rd_w=pzHuq&pf_rd_p=4269e1a0-a218-4fbd-9748-1cd337d2f2a5&pd_rd_wg=AvB0I&pf_rd_r=8GBGMV

Some of the above may also be available at Ham-Radio-Outlet, Ham-city, and Other Ham Radio Online Stores.

I have a CB radio in my work truck because scale houses (that weigh trucks & dump trailers, dump trucks, etc. and also gravel yards) = communicate on CB channel # 1 (and the front end loaders that drive around those sites do also):

My set-up:
DSCN7224.JPGDSCN7217.JPGDSCN7216.JPG4032x2268-1053573848.JPEG

Breakahh-Breakahh ...... any smokees out tharr ????!!!

1613828419157.png1613828812215.png

Educate yourselves you non-CB heathens: List of CB slang - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Try to find an older Wilson if you can. The new ones are chinese. When they got bought out by Barjan they ruined the product.

These 2 below, are some decent rated antennas (and you should also be able to get these same ones as magnetic base antennas):

Amazon product ASIN B0036QYUQAView: https://smile.amazon.com/WILSON-305-495-3500-Watt-Trucker-Antenna/dp/B0036QYUQA/ref=sr_1_6?crid=19GA4XBCX4FWE&dchild=1&keywords=wilson+2000+magnetic+mount+cb+antenna&qid=1613755723&sprefix=wilson+2000+%2Cinstant-video%2C138&sr=8-6

Amazon product ASIN B001JSYA5SView: https://www.amazon.com/K40-TR-40BK-Center-Trucker-Antenna/dp/B001JSYA5S/ref=pd_sbs_4?pd_rd_w=2OifO&pf_rd_p=3ec6a47e-bf65-49f8-80f7-0d7c7c7ce2ca&pf_rd_r=YX6W2DEZ9QRKN9FG5VFX&pd_rd_r=e779d8e5-6a33-4177-9e95-d46cb5e3d270&pd_rd_wg=4BQBV&pd_rd_i=B001JSYA5S&psc=1

Also consider installing a spring base part (if your antenna hits an overhanging tree branch, drive-thru, or other obstruction, the antenna will give-way instead of snapping the antenna off):

Amazon product ASIN B01HIZ56WQView: https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Trucker-Medium-Stainless-Antenna/dp/B01HIZ56WQ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=antenna+spring+base&qid=1613755747&s=instant-video&sr=1-5

Amazon product ASIN B07KRTCZBCView: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KRTCZBC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07KRTCZBC&pd_rd_w=pzHuq&pf_rd_p=4269e1a0-a218-4fbd-9748-1cd337d2f2a5&pd_rd_wg=AvB0I&pf_rd_r=8GBGMV

Some of the above may also be available at Ham-Radio-Outlet, Ham-city, and Other Ham Radio Online Stores.

I have a CB radio in my work truck because scale houses (that weigh trucks & dump trailers, dump trucks, etc. and also gravel yards) = communicate on CB channel # 1 (and the front end loaders that drive around those sites do also):

My set-up:
View attachment 452133View attachment 452134View attachment 452135View attachment 452136

Breakahh-Breakahh ...... any smokees out they-ah?

View attachment 452423View attachment 452425

Educate yourselves you non-CB heathens: List of CB slang - Wikipedia
Break one nine radio checkkkkkk

I'm also getting back into it! May have to put a handle list together
I'm normally a Ham operator but my daughter bought a President and my two Grandson express interest so I bought them each a Uniden Pro 520 XL with Wilson K 40 antenna. Not that I needed it but I bought the Uniden 980 SSB and connected to my 10 meter vertical using an older LDG Z 11 pro 2. It's really pretty good on reception compared to my ICOM 7410.

I'm normally a Ham operator but my daughter bought a President and my two Grandson express interest so I bought them each a Uniden Pro 520 XL with Wilson K 40 antenna. Not that I needed it but I bought the Uniden 980 SSB and connected to my 10 meter vertical using an older LDG Z 11 pro 2. It's really pretty good on reception compared to my ICOM 7410.
Nice! My dad, uncle, brother, and neighbor all had them in 2000-2001. It's fun. What's your handle? I'll try to reach you sometime from Peabody with my K40 vehicle setup.

I just bought one of these for the house.
I haven't installed it yet so, no real world report.

I've heard folks say to stick with metal antennas rather than fiberglass. I'm hoping it at least compares to the homemade vertical dipole I had before - which worked great. It was just two 108" SS whips mounted opposite each other on a 90deg Simpson tie.

You could also try a groundplane kit a a standard mobile whip.
iu

I've heard folks say to stick with metal antennas rather than fiberglass. I'm hoping it at least compares to the homemade vertical dipole I had before - which worked great. It was just two 108" SS whips mounted opposite each other on a 90deg Simpson tie.

iu
Seeing CB only put out 4 watts except SSB (12 watts) get the SWR as far down as you can.

iu
Those mobile gpks are a waste of money. Snake oil

Someone just gave me a NIB 40 Channel CB Radio. I'd like to set it up at home what would be a good antenna that won't break the bank? Would it work on my 10 Meter DiPole?
The biggest problem you're going to have using your dipole is cross polarization. Almost everyone on CB is vertical so you can count on losing up to 20 db there. I haven't purchased a CB antenna in decades so I have no idea what they sell for now. I do know if you want it to perform well like everything else you get what you pay for.

Just for grins, I set my Uniden SDS200 scanner for CB radio channels and let it run on my little Desktop Discone that sits inside by a 2nd floor window. Damned if I’m not picking up some CB chatter! I didn’t really believe the 25-2000 MHz spec on this antenna or think there was any CB chatter still on the airwaves!

Just for grins, I set my Uniden SDS200 scanner for CB radio channels and let it run on my little Desktop Discone that sits inside by a 2nd floor window. Damned if I’m not picking up some CB chatter! I didn’t really believe the 25-2000 MHz spec on this antenna or think there was any CB chatter still on the airwaves!

I've wondered if there was any CB action still. The FCC recently approved FM on CB, so either that's an attempt to revive it or just good lobbying by someone who wants to own the market. GMRS seems better all around. They should have given them new channels too, because now you're going to have FM, AM, SSB all on the same channels.

I think CB (11m) is somewhat popular in Europe. Could make for fun QRP opportunities.

I've wondered if there was any CB action still. The FCC recently approved FM on CB, so either that's an attempt to revive it or just good lobbying by someone who wants to own the market.

Protip: Anyone still left on 11M, nobody, and I mean nobody cares about "part 95" or FCC approval. for anything. [laugh]

The only guys always running type accepted gear are the ones that don't do much with their radios. (eg, a lot of truck drivers just throw a basic radio in and
forget about it). everyone else uses whatever they can afford.

There's also a lot of cb/ham crossover as well nowadays.

GMRS seems better all around. They should have given them new channels too, because now you're going to have FM, AM, SSB all on the same channels.

Nope, GMRS is a different thing, really. (eg, line of sight, limited range point to point comms) And 11M sorts itself out organically, SSB is used from like ch 36 on up past 40, below that is all AM stuff, but its not exclusive. Ages ago I remember a small SSB club on ch 16 or something, people were using some vintage gear there that only did 23 ch.

Also nobody is going to use FM much on 11M. every one I talk to has already had FM for years and people only use it once in awhile.

I think CB (11m) is somewhat popular in Europe. Could make for fun QRP opportunities.

QRP sucks on 11M because 99.9% is using SSB or AM. CW and data modes are rare. You can make some splash in the pan contacts with 4W or 12W on SSB but dont expect to haave any staying power unless conditions are really good and you have a lightly populated channel. Half of my tricks on SSB were to actually run split and peel someone off of the call channel so they dont get stepped on. So you would do your CQ DX business on 365 or 375 and listen on 40 or some other place, it worked well because you could peel someone off for a real
conversation other t han just "eyeme 5 by 9 ur 59 73 blah blah"

I was hearing a dude from Scotland this morning on 38lsb. Heard him well but, couldn't get a contact after turning the house a bunch of different ways.
I ended up hiding my vertical centerfed as a horizontal in the attic so, I'll blame that. But, I tend to hear overseas better with it horizontal.
I may have powered up my rig three times in the past couple years.

I was hearing a dude from Scotland this morning on 38lsb. Heard him well but, couldn't get a contact after turning the house a bunch of different ways.
I ended up hiding my vertical centerfed as a horizontal in the attic so, I'll blame that. But, I tend to hear overseas better with it horizontal.
I may have powered up my rig three times in the past couple years.

If he's looking for calls run split. Problem is there might be 2 or 3 guys louder that work him there but if you peel the guy off it makes it easier. Because of the way skip zones work your competitors won't hear you. Nearly all the euros have open radios so you can bring them to 40+ if needed.

Thx!!
I'll have to listen in some more to see if I can catch him again.
..and see how i have my offset rigged so i know where to direct him....it's been a while...
Would be cool to get overseas. My vertical would get me all the east coast over to the Mississippi regularly, and as far as Texas. I'm getting more western mountain states and across the Atlantic now.

Some of those southern dudes have sweet sounding AM rigs - I'm assuming direct injection is part of their setup. Perfect broadcast quality AM.

The antenna to get for CB or 10 meters is the old Hygain Super Penetrator.
It is a 5/8 wave, vertical, that can be set up for 10, or 11 meters. It's not one of these overhyped POS designs, and works great.

You can find them used here and there, but MFJ bought the rights, and sells them. Ham Radio Outlet has them.
No idea if MFJ (mighty find junk) trashed the quality, but they are a great antenna.

I've wondered if there was any CB action still. The FCC recently approved FM on CB, so either that's an attempt to revive it or just good lobbying by someone who wants to own the market. GMRS seems better all around. They should have given them new channels too, because now you're going to have FM, AM, SSB all on the same channels.

Discones have no gain to speak of, but they are extremely wide band. That means they will show very low SWR over a very wide swath of frequencies. That's why they make good scanner antennas. They will work from 144 mhz up to a gig.

Back
Top Bottom