• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BREAKING: Brownells Acquires AR15.Com

The owner of Brownells recently left the NRA board of directors as well. Hopefully that is a good indicator of their strong stance on the second amendment. I hope the site doesn’t change.

I’m on Arfcom a lot more than I’m on NES. The hometown forum doesn’t get a lot of action but it tends to be good info.

The tech forums are loaded with great info, parts, builds, whatever you can think of, someone has the info already.

GD is a shitshow but funny. Most big breaking news stories hit there first before the main stream news and you actually get facts with links.

Maybe it was the old adage about the company you keep reflecting on you.......I know I personally wouldnt be caught dead hanging around with the current corruptocrats on the NRA board

Crossing my fingers to see how this acquisition plays out.

There was some scuttlebutt floating around in the main thread that the Brownells/ARFCOM merger was formed in part
to start a new 2'ndA advocacy group.

I've been a member there since around 2002, and over the years the dissatisfaction and frustration with the NRA has been growing and growing.
One longtime mod even quit recently because of all the NRA bashing, and the site owners/staff allowed it to continue.
The disclosures regarding LaPierre's and the board member's most recent antics just might have been the final straw.

One more bit of news that should help clear some of the speculation about the resignation of Pete Brownell from the Board of Directors of the National Rifle Association.

When Brownell announced he was leaving the board due to “business obligations” the speculation was rampant that there was something amiss with that explanation.

There wasn’t anything wrong, but there were some things coming.

Having been privvy to some of the behind the scenes activity, we’ve maintained our distance from the resignation, the speculation and the entire NRA situation. And we still believe when you have nothing to add to a story, your audience is better served without speculation.

That having been said....2nd Adventure Group, a holding company wholly owned by Pete and Frank Brownell, has purchased the website AR15.com, adding it to their holdings which include Brownells, Inc., and other industry brands.

Pete Brownell tells The Outdoor Wire Digital Network it will become the “backbone” of what he envisions as a communications outlet for the Second Amendment.

It’s already a significant presence with shooters, boasting a user group of more than five million.

According to former owners, Eduard, Juan and Jorge Avila, the decision to sell to 2nd Adventure was their realization that, after 23 years, the Brownells and their group made most sense. Like the Avilas, they say, the Brownells “see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum for pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard.”

We’re told there are “big things ahead” and with a growing void in the pro-Second Amendment universe, it makes sense that a group with business acumen and a deep respect for the Second Amendment move both the idea- and the backbone- forward.

As always, we’ll keep you posted.

Legal Loopholes, Acquisitions and Activities | Shooting Wire

According to former owners, Eduard, Juan and Jorge Avila, the decision to sell to 2nd Adventure was their realization that, after 23 years, the Brownells and their group made most sense. Like the Avilas, they say, the Brownells “see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum for pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard.”

And I'm sure the Brownells placed the most cash on the table too.

Mods for arf-com GD:

inbred-brothers5.png

Brownells must have seen value in the "Would you keep a zombie as a sex slave?" thread or one of the other bazillion zombie threads.

Idk how dead we talking?

And I'm sure the Brownells placed the most cash on the table too.

Yes, definitely.... but if you think about a pool of buyers, I mean I don't know Pete Brownell, but I would think the place that basically caters to us foamer-level gun enthusiasts would be a pretty "safe" buyer as opposed to some of these other f***ey gun mafia retard conglomerates around. Brownells could literally never afford to shit on 2A or its customers in that way. Better to sell to Brownells than say some f***y gun company that might be owned by Freedom Group or some other bundle of retards. There are lots of ConHugeCos that own gun companies that probably even have antis on the board. Hell at one time HK and Colts US interests were owned by a guy named Donald Zilkha who was a big time clinton admin rubby bums player moonbat type.

-Mike

No. But they DO have an abundance of people who actually know WTF they are talking about on any given technical topic.

While more members = more experts in a field, it also means more trolls and more clueless bippies as well.

And just like here, ANY gun board (or any board for that matter) can get massively sidetracked on an issue with one stupid post by one guy. Suddenly, the pile-on begins and the OP gets totally bad info. Although at ARF and GT and other huge boards, the pile-on could be multi-pages in a day.

The few times I've ventured onto ARFCOM, I've found it as baffling as reddit, and possibly even less civilized. The troll factor exceeds comments on TV news sites.
ARfcom consists of 100s if not a 1000 different forums, each with their own rules and mods. GD and the Bearpit are not indicative of what exists on ARfcom, those two are wild and wooly but the technical and hometown forums are very well managed to disallow the trolls and pile-ons. By never going to those two forums, I don't subject myself to that which all you non-users are complaining about. I created a "My Board" with just the ~2 forums of interest and never go off the reservation.

I just tracked the DNS....that's where the light search said your www A record resides.....but DBIP says maybe Virginia?
Cloudflare is a service that sits between users (us) and content servers (NES) in order to provide better performance and increase server security. DNS isn't going to tell you anything at all about the actual server(s) that Derek is using.

Yes, definitely.... but if you think about a pool of buyers, I mean I don't know Pete Brownell, but I would think the place that basically caters to us foamer-level gun enthusiasts would be a pretty "safe" buyer as opposed to some of these other f***ey gun mafia retard conglomerates around.
Translation: thank God that Cerberus isn't involved!

Yes, this is my 1st post, stumbled upon this thread while doing some research, wanted to provide some clarity to this older thread. Some observations:

The purchase of ARFCOM by Brownell's was a mistake from a "Pro2A Community" aspect, and it very well might be a mistake from the biz end of it too given the political climate we are in. ARFCOM is not providing any useful Pro2A content or direction what-so-ever, it's basically a billboard for Brownell's.

ARFCOM is one of the weirdest sites there is, from tracking their users to labeling users as "trolls" or "retreads" if you recently joined as a user within past few years (staff there can't even spell correctly, "chose" when mean to write "choose"). You get slammed for being a troll or retread if you join there and start posting, but isn't the whole idea of a Forum "board" is to sign-up and make posts and participate, within the rules of course? For clarity, the ARCOM main GD forum is made up of many generic sub forums, its in GD --> GD sub forum where the chatter gets a bit wild-wild-west'ish, and if someone in there does not like you, you get lambasted and then deleted from the site.

I believe ARFCOM needs to have a GD section just to keep the user count high with web traffic. Without their GD section the user count would be low, you just don't get that many people seeking info on a BCG or handguard or barrel profiles, etc. There's more web traffic in a "Garage parking device so wife doesn't drive into wall or close door on bumper?" GD post then there is for "How off will my zero be?" post in a technical AR15 section.

ARFCOM should just ditch GD --> GD and mod based on firearms related content, but I suspect that would reduce their web traffic to minimal levels.

ARFCOM now also has paid-for membership, which gets you little to nothing but an opportunity to read the archives or other paid-for-only sections. They move questionable posts into the paid-for areas instead of just mod'ing the content. It's a bit of a payer-players-club now, but guessing Brownell's is seeking every $ they can get from the site.

ARFCOM being hosted in AWS is gonna be a challenge for them when AWS gets puppeted into canceling their services for the site. There are no hosting providers like AWS, GCP, or Azure that are as robust as they are, so like Parler, it's gonna be a challenge to move to another platform. The all-eggs-in-one-basket (AEIOB) model really does come to bite ya in the butt.

ARFCOM has definitely morphed over the years, some say for the better, many say for the worse, from a community site to a corp manipulated billboard.

I suspect Brownell's is scrambling to figure out what to do with their under-performing and in-jeopardy biz asset ("can I return this?").

Cheers,
Dwayne.

Yes, this is my 1st post, stumbled upon this thread while doing some research, wanted to provide some clarity to this older thread. Some observations:

The purchase of ARFCOM by Brownell's was a mistake from a "Pro2A Community" aspect, and it very well might be a mistake from the biz end of it too given the political climate we are in. ARFCOM is not providing any useful Pro2A content or direction what-so-ever, it's basically a billboard for Brownell's.

ARFCOM is one of the weirdest sites there is, from tracking their users to labeling users as "trolls" or "retreads" if you recently joined as a user within past few years (staff there can't even spell correctly, "chose" when mean to write "choose"). You get slammed for being a troll or retread if you join there and start posting, but isn't the whole idea of a Forum "board" is to sign-up and make posts and participate, within the rules of course? For clarity, the ARCOM main GD forum is made up of many generic sub forums, its in GD --> GD sub forum where the chatter gets a bit wild-wild-west'ish, and if someone in there does not like you, you get lambasted and then deleted from the site.

I believe ARFCOM needs to have a GD section just to keep the user count high with web traffic. Without their GD section the user count would be low, you just don't get that many people seeking info on a BCG or handguard or barrel profiles, etc. There's more web traffic in a "Garage parking device so wife doesn't drive into wall or close door on bumper?" GD post then there is for "How off will my zero be?" post in a technical AR15 section.

ARFCOM should just ditch GD --> GD and mod based on firearms related content, but I suspect that would reduce their web traffic to minimal levels.

ARFCOM now also has paid-for membership, which gets you little to nothing but an opportunity to read the archives or other paid-for-only sections. They move questionable posts into the paid-for areas instead of just mod'ing the content. It's a bit of a payer-players-club now, but guessing Brownell's is seeking every $ they can get from the site.

ARFCOM being hosted in AWS is gonna be a challenge for them when AWS gets puppeted into canceling their services for the site. There are no hosting providers like AWS, GCP, or Azure that are as robust as they are, so like Parler, it's gonna be a challenge to move to another platform. The all-eggs-in-one-basket (AEIOB) model really does come to bite ya in the butt.

ARFCOM has definitely morphed over the years, some say for the better, many say for the worse, from a community site to a corp manipulated billboard.

I suspect Brownell's is scrambling to figure out what to do with their under-performing and in-jeopardy biz asset ("can I return this?").

Cheers,
Dwayne.

There's more web traffic in a "Garage parking device so wife doesn't drive into wall or close door on bumper?" GD post then there is for "How off will my zero be?" post in a technical AR15 section.

1tawll.jpg

Did you mean to write "than"?

LOL, welcome to NES. bARF-com drives me batshit crazy every time take a look. That's a 'special' crowd there for sure. Fair warning, you'll want to tighten up that grammar and spelling here if you are going to be critical of others. Be laid back and you'll receive the same in return.

ARFCOM is one of the weirdest sites there is, from tracking their users to labeling users as "trolls" or "retreads" if you recently joined as a user within past few years (staff there can't even spell correctly, "chose" when mean to write "choose"). You get slammed for being a troll or retread if you join there and start posting,

ARFCOM GD.jpg

It's a firearms forum community
Depending on what your first post is, it's like an initiation.
Expect to get ribbed, teased and inside jokes ("You seem familiar"... "What was your previous username?").
The same thing takes place here ("Is that you, Martha?")
Without a GD forum, both ARFCOM and NES would be boring as f***.
Who cares about technical mumbo-jumbo when you can discuss more enlightening things
like if some chick is 'guilty or not' or leaving an upper decker, banging their wife and throwing their keys on the roof?

Came for the the technical discussions... stayed for GD

Last edited:

Cheers,
Dwayne.
Hi martha

Ps that's pretty much how the internet works outside of the coddling sites with corporate interests to protect like reddit. New members get hazed, it's a bunch of quasi-anonymous people ribbing the new guy to feel him out. Is he cool, is he weird, is he just gonna waste everyone's time and never post again?

ARFCOM is one of the weirdest sites there is, from tracking their users to labeling users as "trolls" or "retreads" if you recently joined as a user within past few years (staff there can't even spell correctly, "chose" when mean to write "choose"). You get slammed for being a troll or retread if you join there and start posting,
I had a similar experience. Along with many others, I became a member there not long after Sandy Hook which apparently was a sin of some sort. I hung around mostly lurking for a year of so until I found out about this site and have never been back. There's just a higher class of people here at NES.

bARF-com drives me batshit crazy every time take a look. That's a 'special' crowd there for sure. Fair warning, you'll want to tighten up that grammar and spelling here if you are going to be critical of others. Be laid back and you'll receive the same in return.
Could I get to meet Scriv there?

I might be away for a while:

They have a "Babe of the Day" forum. Lot's of good discussion on things we like to discuss. PICS!!! 🦫😍

They have "Grooming and Haberdashery" forum. Beard grooming tips, advice on clippers and fine soaps.🐻✂️🦨

Also, if you ever wondered what females talk about - there is a "Women's" forum. Possibly womens grooming. No creepers allowed! 🦫✂️🧐

I might be away for a while:

They have a "Babe of the Day" forum. Lot's of good discussion on things we like to discuss. PICS!!! 🦫😍

They have "Grooming and Haberdashery" forum. Beard grooming tips, advice on clippers and fine soaps.🐻✂️🦨

Also, if you ever wondered what females talk about - there is a "Women's" forum. Possibly womens grooming. No creepers allowed! 🦫✂️🧐
Shit - we have a skunk icon?
🦨
That's what I get for not scrolling down past the legacy smilies. [laugh]

I f'ed up my post. I intended to tell FNG that he should watch his spelling and grammar on NES if he's going to be critical. I actually like that aspect of NES. We tend to leave people alone if they are just being themselves, but if anyone displays an attitude and writes poorly the wolves will circle in.

No, Scriv isn't on ARfcom TTBOMK.

I've been on ARfcom since the forum was started. I've also been on the predecessor Email list since 1998. GD on ARfcom is a train wreck and I never go there unless to a linked thread from somewhere else. There are 500K users and 100s (if not a thousand) sub-forums, each with a Mod that keeps things under control (other than GD). Lots of personal as well as technical forums and if you focus on your interest area, there is a lot of useful info there.

Back
Top Bottom