BREAKING: US Army Selects B&T as New Sub Compact Weapon

If it was an H&K PDW it would have cost x10. These are supposed to be great guns.

This contract is for over $7k per gun while you can buy a semi-auto version from Atlantic for about $2k, so there definitely seems to be "special government pricing" involved here anyway.

This contract is for over $7k per gun while you can buy a semi-auto version from Atlantic for about $2k, so there definitely seems to be "special government pricing" involved here anyway.
These contracts typically involve spare parts, support and training among other things. It isnt a per gun price.

BT-36090-3_big-660x307.jpg

BT-36090-0_big-660x307.jpg

BT-36090-2_big-660x426.jpg

BT-36090-1_big-660x638.jpg

Call me crazy, but I don't see the advantage this has over the Colt SMG

I dunno, but that thing would be so hot if that was an AR-compatible upper...

iu

Last edited:
I wish I could get one.

They don't make 10 round mags.

Maybe if Massachusetts ended the mag ban it would a great gun to have.

It's only 9mm though.

Not much more powerful than a Glock.

I'm actually rather happy with this choice. The MOA looks M4 like, except for the side charging.

Course, I'd rather they just used what they have for a while and tightened the belt.

Call me crazy, but I don't see the advantage this has over the Colt SMG
Rechamber the Krinkov from 5.45 to 5.56 NATO and call it good. Kalashnikov action is well-proven, extremely reliable and inexpensive as opposed to expensive HK. If these guns are actually going to be used, it will likely be at spitting distance. The Krinkov would be quite effective at such close ranges.

given this is the dod procurement process, this is pretty much an april fools joke....

Rechamber the Krinkov from 5.45 to 5.56 NATO and call it good. Kalashnikov action is well-proven, extremely reliable and inexpensive as opposed to expensive HK. If these guns are actually going to be used, it will likely be at spitting distance. The Krinkov would be quite effective at such close ranges.

Unit cost for small arms is dust in the wind here, lmao....

4.3in barrel!? There had to be better options

Why? A longer barrel isn't going to give much more performance to a 9mm cartridge -- maybe 10% more energy.

This is meant to be better than a handgun, for use in situations where a gun the size of an M4 is not feasible. This is not meant to be a replacement for an M4.

I understand that but it just seems like there have been more advanced weapons for such a niche role. Looking at the mp5k the barrel is only slightly longer. They don't mention it for vehicle crews or anything but VIP protection.

I understand that but it just seems like there have been more advanced weapons for such a niche role. Looking at the mp5k the barrel is only slightly longer. They don't mention it for vehicle crews or anything but VIP protection.

The MP5K is a very old design. I don't understand why you think it is more "advanced" than the more modern designs.

Why? A longer barrel isn't going to give much more performance to a 9mm cartridge -- maybe 10% more energy.

This is meant to be better than a handgun, for use in situations where a gun the size of an M4 is not feasible. This is not meant to be a replacement for an M4.

M1911 is right. If you read the original RFP and solicitation documentation, one of the primary requirements is overall length plus suppressor. The whole point to this weapon is to give Personal Security Details (PSD) a reasonably concealable, suppressed weapon for use in close quarters. Everyone wants to argue about using the M4 or Mk14k (whatever the extra-short SOCOM M4 is designated these days). But no one wants to be standing in a 10x10 clay hut meeting with Host Nation personnel when someone sets one off. Look at what happened with the Commanding General in Afghanistan a couple of months ago; small room, lots of people, no maneuverability. It was a pistol fight in a phone booth. CG got lucky the shooter was more interested in the two Afghans. Though the BG that was injured wasn't so lucky.

Back
Top Bottom