Bringing Kids to Shoot

Wondering if there is an age requirement for guests. I'm a member, and I would like to teach my 7 year old son how to shoot (he'll be 8 in October). He wants to start with sniper rifles, but I've told him that's not gonna happen.

Thanks.

The child’s age is only limited by your ability to safely teach them. Some basic rules of thumb are:

- Make sure the child is big enough to hold the firearm correctly.
- Make sure you only load one round at a time until the child is very comfortable with the operation of the firearm.
- When more than one round is loaded in the firearm keep your hands very close to the child’s to prevent any significant muzzle rise.
- Make sure all shots are on paper.
- Make sure the trajectory of the bullets does not cause rounds to hit the ceiling.

I recommend starting with the 10/22 or the Ruger Mark III (be careful with the semi-auto’s). Strangely, I have found that, with proper instruction, young children shoot handguns better than rifles.

If you would like help, we offer training sessions for young children.

You laugh, but my son who was small for his age was shooting 230gr hardball from my Colt Commander when he was 7. Admittedly, I was hoping the recoil would get him to slow down a bit, but he pretty much ignored it.

Ken

New twist on this:

Last night, my son and I were at the Trap range - we had a new shooter, so I took her over to a separate field, and threw some straight-aways so she could get the idea before she jumped into the deep end on the Trap line.

While I was over on the main range, I heard others on the practice field - it was my kid, showing another member's kid how to shoot Trap.

My kid is 13.

Now, admittedly, he's an accomplished Trap shot, and has his NRA Apprentice Instructor Cert, but I thought it was noteworthy.

At least the student could relate to the teacher.....[laugh]

My point? The "right age" is different for each person.

What age do you folks at Mass Firearms start the training classes for? I've introduced my 9 year old daughter from a bench with a 10/22, but I would definitely like to get her into a class.

Back
Top Bottom