British Sniper Kills 2 Taliban From Over 1.5 Miles Away

I searched and didn't find anything...so I hope this isn't a dupe...

A British Army sniper has earned a place in military history by killing two Taliban machine gunners from more than a mile and a half away.

Craig Harrison's record-breaking sharpshooting felled the insurgents with consecutive bullets - even though they were 3,200ft beyond the effective range of his rifle.

The Household Cavalry veteran's kills from a distance of 8,120ft eclipsed the previous sniper record by 150ft.

His pinpoint accuracy saved the life of his troop commander who was trapped in a vehicle under fire from the enemy in Afghanistan.

In an extraordinary tour of duty, Corporal of Horse Harrison cheated death twice - surviving being shot in the head by a Taliban bullet and escaping with two broken arms when his vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.

The elite marksman killed the two insurgents with his British-built L115A3 Long Range Rifle, the Army’s most powerful sniper weapon.

The shooting was from such extreme range that the 8.59mm bullets took almost three seconds to hit their target, despite leaving the barrel at three times the speed of sound.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-record-1-54-mile-double-Taliban-kill.html

What? No video?[smile]

That kind of shooting really appeals to me! I wish I could do it.

ETA He hit 2?
The second guy must have been dumb as a bag of rocks!

Last edited:
Simply incredible.. I wonder what percentage of hits at that range are lethal. I'd be pretty damn annoyed if I shot a guy 1.5 miles away and he managed to get up [laugh]

Last edited:
Wow, I wonder if the second guy didn't notice his buddy was down. I would think the noise from the shot would either be gone or severely dimished at that distance.

He actually made 3 shots. The third was to disable the weapon. The manufacturer of the rifle said that beyond the 4900 ft effective range that luck played a big part. I think 3 shots hitting what you aimed at means that luck was not a big part of the equation. Nice shooting.

Imagine the propaganda value of something like this.

"We dare you to run. In fact, we'll give you a 15 minute sprinting head start."

How demoralizing knowing you can be killed by somebody that far away.

Hence the admonition, "Don't run - you'll only die TIRED!"

I think that was part of the plan.

The enemy can't see you, hear you, they don't even know the sniper is there.

Then spat! His brains are outside of his skull!

Awesome shooting by the British Soldier.

Generation Kill was a good series. If you get a chance, look up TopSniper from the military channel. Another great series.

Stories like this give me a warm fuzzy feeling all over. Also a tremendous amount of respect for the Brirish shooter.

Back
Top Bottom