• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Broke out the 03's Friday for the first time in over two years.

MJ1

Forgot my hold offs on the 1931 03 but it was a pleasure to shoot. Took a DCM class years ago on how to use the rear sight. Gray matter failed me on that. This was the best of three pistol targets at 100Y. My dog at the others. LOL

ZxgLpnl.jpg

aVDOGPN.jpg

1943 03A3 just took two to get on today at the other end of the county so I went over to the pistol range. This was at 100M.

97tRjwu.jpg

lNse5uz.jpg

I need to get out more with the bolts. It's just to tempting to M1 the crap out of everything.

Pura Vida

Last edited:
Maybe you cant see the front sight.....i know I can hardly see that spaghetti thin front blade.

Maybe you cant see the front sight.....i know I can hardly see that spaghetti thin front blade.

Here’s a question for the rifle shooters that have forgotten way more than I’ll ever know: Is there an ideal front sight width for precision shooting? Reason I ask is on my M1 carbine the tip of the front sight looks like it’s been squashed or something. Mushroomed would be a better description. I often think about filing it down but I don’t want to go screwing with it if it’s supposed to be like that. I’m guessing not.

The thin front sight is easy to loose in the black on these pistol 25 yard targets. It is often told that the USMC match front sight is thicker and they are offered by several sources. Also the bullets are important as is the powders you use. Pretty much gave up on the PRIVI 150g FMJ and 168g FMJ .30's and the PRIVI 174g .312" bullets. They just don't fly as well as the Sierra's. Granted I'm no expert at anything but even I can tell they scatter at 500 yards just watching the dirt fly around the steel plates. Because the plates are up hill by 100 foot and you can see them fly when the sun is over head. That is kind of neat. The 03 likes 4064 and the 03A3 likes 4895, go figure that out.

IMR 4064
9ax5Lvs.jpg

H 4895
ONWiOuO.jpg

Broke out Grandad's 03A3 last year - probably the first time it had been fired since at least 1968. Made sure it was clean, otherwise, didn't do a thing to it. Ran some of that PPU 150 FMJ through it for a Springfield Match at the CMP Games in Vermont last September, and bagged myself a silver medal. That thing was dead nuts at 200 yards with the cheap stuff!

Here’s a question for the rifle shooters that have forgotten way more than I’ll ever know: Is there an ideal front sight width for precision shooting? Reason I ask is on my M1 carbine the tip of the front sight looks like it’s been squashed or something. Mushroomed would be a better description. I often think about filing it down but I don’t want to go screwing with it if it’s supposed to be like that. I’m guessing not.
Front sight should clean cut square .
The 1903 and A3 typically have a thin blade. Although USMC did go with a wider front sight and larger sight hood plus a larger combat rear aperture. The 1903 got the #10 sight system some where around 1920_+/-. Im not big on history of the springfields i just like to shoot them.
When it comes to size especially for target shooting the easier it is to focus on the front sight the better. Less eye strain and turns into better groups down range.
The .100" (#10 system ) front sight on the 1903s makes for good target shooting. You will pick up vertical shifts quicker as the sight edge dips off the bull.

Last edited:
Broke out Grandad's 03A3 last year - probably the first time it had been fired since at least 1968. Made sure it was clean, otherwise, didn't do a thing to it. Ran some of that PPU 150 FMJ through it for a Springfield Match at the CMP Games in Vermont last September, and bagged myself a silver medal. That thing was dead nuts at 200 yards with the cheap stuff!
The PPU M2 ball stuff if thats what you used is pretty darn good for the price.

Front sight should clean cut square .
The 1903 and A3 typically have a thin blade. Although USMC did go with a wider front sight and larger sight hood plus a larger combat rear aperture. The 1903 got the #10 sight system some where around 1920_+/-. Im not big on history of the springfields i just like to shoot them.
When it comes to size especially for target shooting the easier it is to focus on the front sight the better. Less eye strain and turns into better groups down range.
The .100" (#10 system ) front sight on the 1903s makes for good target shooting. You will pick up vertical shifts quicker as the sight edge dips off the bull.

Not to hijack this thread any further, but I'll try to get some decent pics of the front sight on my carbine and post them to the summer carbine postal match thread. ;)

I just load PPU bullets in 1950's and 1960's LC brass.

97tRjwu.jpg
PPU was pushing their bullets under the
“Mil spec” brand , think old wideners .
They where not that great but at the time they where a good deal vs known cheap not so good bullets.
I bought several thousand 168 for .09 each. Plenty good enough for my use.
3moa 10 ring

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom