• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BU Ammo? Scare

Edmond Dantes

Banned
http://www.bu.edu/today/campus-life/2009/02/04/police-search-bu-building-after-emergency-call

I'm not sure what to think of this. Part of me thinks that whoever called in the ammo scare should be commended for being observant especially in the wake of Virginia Tech. However, the Patriot part of me thinks its pretty sad that someone would be afraid at the sight of a live round or even a gun. Our forefathers won our independence through the gun and it should always be respected but never feared (unless of course its being pointed at someone). I'm even an advocate of concealed carry on campus. Furthermore I think students and other applicable adults should retain ALL of the same rights once they enter college property. The average Joe would be surprised that even OC is illegal on college campuses for those who have gone through the legal means of obtaining it.

Last edited:
Some universities around Boston have shooting ranges on campus for varsity, intramural, PE and club sports. These ranges are generally shared by the campus police, who practice there. Any undergrad taking a PE class or on the varsity team can easily track a live round or a cartridge anywhere else on campus. Are they going to freak out and have a panic attack if they find such a round? I should hope not. But then again, BC probably doesn't have a range, so I guess there is no way for ammunition to legally get on campus since nobody has written permission.

Its just too bad that in the wake of VT, people have to blow the most trivial of things completely out of perspective. It reminds me of the zero-tolerance policies that K-12 schools began implementing in the 90s. Kids getting expelled for nail clippers. People automatically assume that a solitary cartridge found in a busy university campus located in the heart of an urban area with tons of foot traffic is a sign of impending doom...

Was there some famous case study done that showed that before a shoot out, the killer generally sprinkles cartridge casings or live rounds all over the place to blow their cover??

Last edited:
The article is about BU, NOT BC!

BC does not have a range of it's own. I seroiusly doubt that BU does either.

Yep. Some of us would be offended by getting the two confused.

-50,000 to the OP [wink]

Seriously, though, I doubt you would see any different a reaction at MIT or Wentworth, which both have ranges.

Last edited:
Some universities around Boston have shooting ranges on campus for varsity, intramural, PE and club sports. These ranges are generally shared by the campus police, who practice there. Any undergrad taking a PE class or on the varsity team can easily track a live round or a cartridge anywhere else on campus. Are they going to freak out and have a panic attack if they find such a round? I should hope not. But then again, BC probably doesn't have a range, so I guess there is no way for ammunition to legally get on campus since nobody has written permission.

Its just too bad that in the wake of VT, people have to blow the most trivial of things completely out of perspective. It reminds me of the zero-tolerance policies that K-12 schools began implementing in the 90s. Kids getting expelled for nail clippers. People automatically assume that a solitary cartridge found in a busy university campus located in the heart of an urban area with tons of foot traffic is a sign of impending doom...

Was there some famous case study done that showed that before a shoot out, the killer generally sprinkles cartridge casings or live rounds all over the place to blow their cover??

On occasion after trips to the range I've found spent casings in the hood of my sweatshirt. When I was still at college I always worried that I'd track one back to the dorm room afterwards. Wonder if I could've been put away if that actually happened. I had brought holey targets back on campus and it didn't even seem to phase the desk attendant. In fact he even asked how I did that day.

I was at the range last sunday night (BRP). The next day heading into work I happened to notice an empty shell casing on my truck's floormat. I checked my boots and sure enough 7 more empty .22lr cases. It would have been bad to say the least, as building I was working in monday was the statehouse. Just saying it can easily happen.

It's articles like this that make me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I went to Northeastern University in Boston for 5 years(hell I even graduated somehow) and I lived there for the first 1.5 and commuted for the rest. This was all in my pre-LTC days and knowing what I know now I'd never go without carrying again. I primarily took all night classes, and I always took the train in. Hundreds of nights I was standing alone in Ruggles Station on the Orange line at 9-10pm at night waiting for a train to take me back to Oak Grove. I'm actually shocked and very fortunate I was never confronted.

I'm all for extending gun rights onto college campus.

It's articles like this that make me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I went to Northeastern University in Boston for 5 years(hell I even graduated somehow) and I lived there for the first 1.5 and commuted for the rest. This was all in my pre-LTC days and knowing what I know now I'd never go without carrying again. I primarily took all night classes, and I always took the train in. Hundreds of nights I was standing alone in Ruggles Station on the Orange line at 9-10pm at night waiting for a train to take me back to Oak Grove. I'm actually shocked and very fortunate I was never confronted.

I'm all for extending gun rights onto college campus.

NU is in one of the most UNSAFE areas of Boston! When I went there (in the dark ages) the slums were still behind the college. The current slums is the welfare project next door to the college! And the Fens has always been a hiding/living place of some of the worst scum.

Never heard of one while I was there, but I wasn't into sports, so I could have missed it.

I know where the BC PD practice every month . . . and they wouldn't be traveling to the suburbs if they had a range on campus. No idea about BU.

I have too. I've stopped wearing hooded sweatshirts to the range as a result.

Won't really help. Both my Wife and I have pulled empties out of our pockets of our coats, pants a week after a range trip. A real strip-search of all clothing items is required to ensure that these things can't happen . . . or only shoot revolvers when NOBODY else is around.

NU is in one of the most UNSAFE areas of Boston! When I went there (in the dark ages) the slums were still behind the college. The current slums is the welfare project next door to the college! And the Fens has always been a hiding/living place of some of the worst scum.

Yep, one of the areas I always try to avoid after dark.

Won't really help. Both my Wife and I have pulled empties out of our pockets of our coats, pants a week after a range trip. A real strip-search of all clothing items is required to ensure that these things can't happen . . . or only shoot revolvers when NOBODY else is around.

I agree.

Yep, on all accounts. The area is just flat out disgusting. They do a pretty damn good marketing job as they make the campus look unreal. The amount they spend on landscaping, etc. in such a slummy area is just staggering. However, you are absolutely right, the area around Columbus Ave and I think Parker Street where all the slums are is nasty. There are consistent muggings in the little parks between the campus and the Fens, etc.

Like I said, if I had to go back now for whatever reason at night, I'm going carrying. I'd rather deal with the consequences and be alive than be six feet under with someone else dealing with the situation. Ruggles Station is known for its problems. I remember walking in there one day to go home and there was a guy laying on the ground with a gunshot wound and police everywhere. I just kept walking assuming that this was the normal since no one else seemed to be in a panic.

When I attended BC (granted it was the late 60's) there as an indoor range and a rifle team. I used to go down, sign out a .22 rifle and shoot fairly regularly.
It's a different world now it seems.

Back
Top Bottom