• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buck knives ?

mac1911

NES Member
I have my share of buck knives but they are all 25 plus years old

Its been a long time since I bought a knife

I just liked the look of the 346 Vantage - large so I ordered it. It will see use and more than likely some abuse.
Hows Buck these days

I recently purchased the 346 Vantage. It's a nice design with an excellent blade profile. The Diamondwood is epoxy impregnated and looks like it will hold up well. The thumb hole in the blade is the best way to open it as the flipper is small and the knife is a bit stiff when new. The flipper works well enough if you put a little wrist into it but that's too much drama for me. I really like it, I've been carrying it when I'm not working as to try to keep it nice for a little while. It's sturdy for a liner lock but not heavy duty by any means. A nice knife for the price point and mine showed up dangerously sharp with the blade well centered in the handle.

I’m a Buck fan. They still love America and are not afraid to voice their belief in god. I think anything older is better for the most part but I bought a Buck 110 at Bass Pro recently that was on sale for like $40 and they still are a dam formidable tool.

I have the smaller version and have been carrying it every day for years. 13C26 alloy blade is awesome for holding an edge. It will take and hold a sharp edge better than 440C etc. Nice made in USA knife. I highly recommend. My local hardware store has a lonely fixed blade version I may just break down and buy. I get mine scalpel sharp and can debone a pheasant like lightning.

I’m a Buck fan. They still love America and are not afraid to voice their belief in god. I think anything older is better for the most part but I bought a Buck 110 at Bass Pro recently that was on sale for like $40 and they still are a dam formidable tool.
Got a handful or 2 of 110s scattered through out.

I sent out a 112 with a broken tip, and a 102 that was given to me (a lady that I worked with took it from her son) about 40 yrs ago. I sent them into Buck
to replace or fix the broken tip and to sharpen the blade on the 102. The 102 was so dull, I have butter knives that were sharper, definitely abused. I also replaced the sheath from a mid seventies 110 and a sheath for the 102. Just got them back, and thought that the 102 was a new knife but could tell by the handle it was the same knife. I was very happy with the turn out of the 2 knives, and now I have a new knife for my collection.

Last edited:
I have my share of buck knives but they are all 25 plus years old

Its been a long time since I bought a knife

I just liked the look of the 346 Vantage - large so I ordered it. It will see use and more than likely some abuse.
Hows Buck these days

Buck still makes a well put together knife, and the use of 420HC steel allows them to keep the price point down and still make the knife in the US. The good news is that 420HC is corrosion resistant and easy to sharpen. The bad news is that edge retention isn't as good as many more modern steels. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

I just saw this:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2J1Y2svaW1hZ2VzL0JVMDExMkdSUzNfYTEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZSI6IHsid2lkdGgiOiA0MTQsImhlaWdodCI6IDMxNSwiZml0IjogImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIjogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

Tradition meets modern.

Nice. That S30V steel holds an excellent edge. If I had not just picked up a new old stock large Vantage Pro at my local hardware store, I probably would have ordered that.

Here's the Vantage Pro. Easy to open with one hand via a push on that bump on back of blade then a flick.

2828b-combo.jpg

Nice. That S30V steel holds an excellent edge. If I had not just picked up a new old stock large Vantage Pro at my local hardware store, I probably would have ordered that.
The 420HC Slim Ranger is around $30 bucks, right? As good as S30V is, I'm not sure I'd spend another $70 for it.

The 420HC Slim Ranger is around $30 bucks, right? As good as S30V is, I'm not sure I'd spend another $70 for it.
The $30 one has nylon handles / scales. I'd be OK with that for a utility knife but I'd much prefer G10 scales for an EDC knife. Regardless, I'm all set with the Vantage.

View attachment 685924
I know its filthy as hell. But, I lost this years ago. Bought it in the early 90s, thought I lost it on a ship or something. Happier than shit finding it today. Even sharpened it up a bit.
Blade still looks perfect.

Now all you have to do is clean it up a bit and make up an entertaining tall tale where it was lost and found.

Blade still looks perfect.

Now all you have to do is clean it up a bit and make up an entertaining tall tale where it was lost and found.
Nothing entertaining. Just the last thing I bought from the local sporting goods store before they closed. Family bought from them for years. I remember coming back home and they were closed, sucked. Had everything you could need, order it if they didn't have it. Now all we have are shit box stores and online options.

Rant over, going back to drinking my coffee. Maybe eat some more halloween candy, this almond joy is looking good.

Nothing entertaining. Just the last thing I bought from the local sporting goods store before they closed. Family bought from them for years. I remember coming back home and they were closed, sucked. Had everything you could need, order it if they didn't have it. Now all we have are shit box stores and online options.

Rant over, going back to drinking my coffee. Maybe eat some more halloween candy, this almond joy is looking good.
The old 110 I have is from lawn mowing and babysitting money. I used to get paid good money by a doc and his nurse wife to babysit their hyperactive twin boys. Every gig usually involved physically intervening when they invariably lost it over a game of basketball etc. and started beating the crap out of each other. [rofl] . I was the only sitter that was amused by this and physically capable of handling their worst, so due to the hazard pay I could afford nice stuff like the 110 as a teen. Rode my bike to the local sporting goods store to buy the knife.

The old 110 I have is from lawn mowing and babysitting money. I used to get paid good money by a doc and his nurse wife to babysit their hyperactive twin boys. Every gig usually involved physically intervening when they invariably lost it over a game of basketball etc. and started beating the crap out of each other. [rofl] . I was the only sitter that was amused by this and physically capable of handling their worst, so due to the hazard pay I could afford nice stuff like the 110 as a teen. Rode my bike to the local sporting goods store to buy the knife.

Member Name checks out. ✅ [smile]

Was just in theLGS and saw that they have 110 and 112 switchblades built by Buck in the counter. $150 - $200 for a knife hit my skinflint bone, but then I saw the non switchblade models were almost a hundred now.

I’m gonna have a hard time resisting this purchase.

Was just in theLGS and saw that they have 110 and 112 switchblades built by Buck in the counter. $150 - $200 for a knife hit my skinflint bone, but then I saw the non switchblade models were almost a hundred now.

I’m gonna have a hard time resisting this purchase.
Almost a $100?

Just an FYI…and I give 10% discount and free shipping to NES members.

Nice, I dont know if its my phone but you need your product search feature at the top of the page
Do you have a price on the buck switch blade

Antbody ever machined finger grooves into a 110 or 112? They are too slippery when bloody.

Nice, I dont know if its my phone but you need your product search feature at the top of the page
Do you have a price on the buck switch blade
The search button is there. It’s a blue magnifying glass. However, to your point it’s not a very good search function. It’s on my list to improve.

I’ll PM you directly. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom