Bucket List #1

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'll admit straight off, it's not a gun. I think those who know me will forgive me this indulgence.

Since my heart attack, I have been re-prioritizing my life. Top of the "bucket list" was a pre-war car, something I've wanted since I was a little kid...something about the era and Art Deco strikes a powerful chord in me. Wound up selling the Mustang to a guy in FL who traded me this and cash. I'll be putting the '55 up for sale shortly.

This is an original, non-restored, 1937 Pontiac DeLuxe 8. Has every option available, except a radio. That does NOT include turn signals....they weren't available from the factory until 1940 or so.

Dropped off the registration paperwork today...hopefully it will be ready to go at the end of the week. In the meanwhile, it's legal to run it with the Mustang's plate and registration. I think it handles a little better than the '55.....but not nearly as fast. The flat head, side valve 249ci inline 8 generates 100HP and 172ft/lbs torque, for a 0-60 time of 19 seconds. But it sure is a hoot to drive.

I need a new right headlight bulb immediately. I have two sets of seat belts and a turn signal kit for it; sticking my arm out the window has already gotten old. Those are my late dad's 1938 baby shoes hanging from the mirror.
t
IMG_2153.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnArz--uUEo&feature=youtu.be

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VwXuCVisDk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Nice towel rack!

And... I mean, really, if you put that bulb into the headlight, can you really call it "non-restored" anymore? Especially with that aftermarket cupholder?

Nah, I'm kidding. BIG congratulations on a beautiful automobile. GLWS on your '55.

That’s the back seat panic bar/blanket bar. Car has a heater, but no back seat vents. Car also has side panic straps. I’ll have to get a side by side pic with fall foliage.
t

Last edited:
I was going to ask you if that was a straight 8, sure looked it from the looooooooooooooooong hood! Love it!

When are you putting the flames on the sides and changing the wheels to mag wheels? ;-)

Wheelbase on the 8 was 122 inches; 117 for the 6. Overall length just under 17 feet. The teardrop body style makes for a narrow cockpit and a back seat that can sleep 4. It’s a little tight with my wife and dog In the front. All I’m going to do is take it to my local detail shop for a heavy duty buffing and a little chip touch up.
t

Last edited:
Fantastic car!

Did you sell the Mustang? Be careful with assuming a grace period for the transfer of plates from one vehicle to the next or you could end up with criminal charges in Mass. The offense is intended to prevent bad guys from disguising via stolen plates but cops with a hard on will be happy to trip up a vehicle owner. Word of caution...

Fantastic car!

Did you sell the Mustang? Be careful with assuming a grace period for the transfer of plates from one vehicle to the next or you could end up with criminal charges in Mass. The offense is intended to prevent bad guys from disguising via stolen plates but cops with a hard on will be happy to trip up a vehicle owner. Word of caution...

Happened to me. Statie in Dedham, NB.

That was the most expensive ticket I've ever had.

Very very nice !
Love pre-war era cars as well and dream of the resto-mod, but fully aware that nothing can replicate the original feel.
Somewhere in the 540K Benz realm is my dream ☺️

I try not to assume anything in life; I usually get the short end of the stick. Here's a screen shot from the RMV. I have a copy in the car with the old registration and insurance information. If I read this right, I have three weeks. Registry said 4-5 days for an on-line billing email, then I can go pick it up. Title will be mailed separately.
t
Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 9.07.11 AM.png

Last edited:
I also spent time today doing little repairs. All four door struts were disconnected and had withdrawn into the body or door. I pulled them out with needle nose pliers and rigged up a bolt, lock washer and nut to secure it. They don’t seem to do much; I think the rubber bushing inside has turned to dust after 83 years.
tF9FC5EAE-0F8E-4D42-B9D1-30A561F32CE9.jpeg79C9E125-596E-4AFE-A0D9-D0B735724B3B.jpeg

Took a 60 mile leaf peeping trip with the wife and dog. No problems at all. Car read 1/4 tank at 160 miles. Put in 10.48 gallons, getting 15.27mpg in mixed driving. I was impressed. Tank is 18-19 gallons depending on the literature. Found a colorful tree to pose next to. Also got a couple of the 55.
t

Attachments

• IMG_2175.jpeg
    IMG_2175.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2176.jpeg
    IMG_2176.jpeg
    584.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2178.jpeg
    IMG_2178.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2192.jpeg
    IMG_2192.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2182.jpeg
    IMG_2182.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2198.jpeg
    IMG_2198.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2209.jpeg
    IMG_2209.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Regarding transfer of registration. Did you sell the vehicle the registration is transferred from?

You must have lost possession or disposed of the vehicle. Just wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

Yes, vehicle was sold and shipped to FL. Have the receipts in the car with the old registration, bill of sale, bill of lading to FL, etc..
t

Took a 60 mile leaf peeping trip with the wife and dog. No problems at all. Car read 1/4 tank at 160 miles. Put in 10.48 gallons, getting 15.27mpg in mixed driving. I was impressed. Tank is 18-19 gallons depending on the literature. Found a colorful tree to pose next to. Also got a couple of the 55.
t
Looks outstanding! Both cars, but the '37 is gorgeous...

Back
Top Bottom