• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buffer tube length?

Hello everyone.

I'm in the middle of building a 300 BLK pistol. I have two barrels picked out one is 9" and the other is 9.5". I will be running with a suppressor after it comes. Until then it will just be a break and maybe a blast shield.
So what length buffer tube would I use? Do I go with a pistol length or a carbine length? Or does it even matter? I'm looking to get the best performance from it with and without a suppressor.

Thanks for any help you can give.

300bk has more juice than a 556 if I'm not mistaken. My gut tells me carbine, but you can play around quite a bit with springs and buffer weights. This is all covered in several dog-pile threads on AR15.com.

I used a standard (carbine) buffer tube on my 300BLK shortie as well as one of the shorter ones from SB Tactical without issue.

I'd pick which one you like the most (what's going onto it) and then tune things as/if needed. It's easy enough to get different weight buffers and springs.

IIRC, when I was running one of the original braces, I used the H2 buffer (no issues). You might need to do more tuning depending on the ammo. Get an adjustable gas block and that will help there. Or go with a piston setup (also adjustable block) and you could be in even better shape. Adam's Arms has one available for 300 Blackout.

Hello everyone.

I'm in the middle of building a 300 BLK pistol. I have two barrels picked out one is 9" and the other is 9.5". I will be running with a suppressor after it comes. Until then it will just be a break and maybe a blast shield.
So what length buffer tube would I use? Do I go with a pistol length or a carbine length? Or does it even matter? I'm looking to get the best performance from it with and without a suppressor.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You can go with whatever buffer tube length, as long as you use appropriate action spring and buffer weight/length. I’d use carbine length, unless you want to run a shorty stock.

Carbine length for sure as mentioned. With a suppressor you’ll want to try out an H2 for starters and see if you’re happy with the ejection pattern. Maybe an Odin adjustable set.

You can go with whatever buffer tube length, as long as you use appropriate action spring and buffer weight/length. I’d use carbine length, unless you want to run a shorty stock.
Was going to throw a brace on it and call it a day wile they are still good to go.

Carbine length for sure as mentioned. With a suppressor you’ll want to try out an H2 for starters and see if you’re happy with the ejection pattern. Maybe an Odin adjustable set.
Adjustable buffer? That's a new one on me.

Adjustable buffer? That's a new one on me.
Just has added tungsten weights to add or subtract. Makes it easier than buying 4 different buffers. You might find it quite gassy and ejecting at a 2 o clock pattern across all buffer sizes with it suppressed.

Back
Top Bottom