Building a Gun room in Basement?

Looks to me like the court agrees that his bedroom could have been a container had he properly secured it with a deadbolt lock or something and not just pushed the thumb lock on his doorknob.

Bad cases make bad law. The defendant's argument appears to have been a hail mary pass to come up with an ex post facto manner of declaring his room to be "safe storage". The court could not assume he was lying about using the privacy lock absent proof or evidence beyond a general understanding of how such locks are generally utilized, so it no doubt based its decision on the outcome it desired in the case.

How about boxing in the floor joists in the basement, with piano hing and a hasp? This could then drop down a length of plywood with hooks or even shelves on it. It would tuck up high and dry out of the way, and you could even cover it with a suspended ceiling.

Wonder how this would go in a mAss court? No I don't want to find out.

On June 26, 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller (PDF), the United States Supreme Court issued its first decision since 1939 interpreting the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Court ruled that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution confers an individual right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense. It also ruled that two District of Columbia provisions, one that banned handguns and one that required lawful firearms in the home to be disassembled or trigger-locked, violate this right.

I was asking this same question a few minutes ago. I see you awoke the zombie from 6 years ago.....

I might buy a glock

Seems like there is no difinative answer. Guess I'll talk to my issueing officer when I turn in my C&R app.
You need not turn in a C&R app. You simply mail in a copy to chief. Unless this changed since last year.

Last edited:
The way i was reading the changes in storage and transportation is only non large capacity shot guns and long guns can be stored in a secured area with out being locked in a case or trigger lock.
The key to the storage issue i think is to find out exaclty what the state says "committing an unforeseeable trespass" is?
Either way if your in a position where they are looking for charges to stack against you i bet they will add improper storage for anything less than trigger locks on weapons inside locked cases inside a safe.

I think Officer Obie hit the nail on the head in citing Parzick and it sounds like your plan is more than sufficient. A regular room with a solid-core door and a deadbolt is, in my opinion, more than sufficient to meet the statutory requirement. Seeing someone with a secure room like yours charged with a 131L violation is almost an invitation to overturn 131L.

Do NOT discuss the adequacy of your storage plans with your local police.

While we're talking case law and what constitutes secure storage, I'll remind you of this: A firearm locked in a plastic pistol case in an igloo cooler on the back porch of a home is securely stored for the purposes of 131L. (Lodjko)

There were no 131L storage charges in this case.
This was worth reading again.

Funny this came up again, I have started accumulating supplies to build a "secure storage" room in my basement. My plans is to keep some long term food storage, reloading supplies, guns and a safe or two in there.
I have a large dry basement so I am planning on a 10' x 10' room. For the door, just a simple metal exterior 36"x 80" with 2x dead bolts.
Inside I have some 3/4" maple plywood left over from a previous project that I will make into an 8' bench and an entire wall of plywood to make hanging racks easier.
Once I start I'll create a post to show progress.

I took over a walk-in closet and put an keypad outdoor lock on it, a 24x7x365 monitored alarm system with battery and cellphone backups. I also keep the guns in stackon cabinets inside the room, the ones on the wall are "parade " guns with welded barrels, display only.

0204141038.jpg

Back
Top Bottom