• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building m16a1/2 style AR in 7.62x39

Never built an AR or anything before so I have a few questions

-What are some reputable manufacturers for 20" 7.62x39 barrels?
-Would a rifle length gas system in 7.62x39 be an finicky as the 5.56 rifle length? I just want something that eats all kinds of ammo. I've seen an assembled upper with a mid length gas system on a 20' barrel that could be okay if rifle length is too finicky.
-Do I need a different sized front sight post for a 7.62 barrel vs a 5.56 barrel, or would the standard a1/2 sight post work on either?
-What is a good source for a non-removable carry handle upper, AND do I need specific type for 7.62 vs 5.56? I know the bolt and carrier must be different, but not sure about upper.

Thanks for any help!

You really want this to be your first build?
Start your parts search for AR10.

But I'd recommend you buy a less expensive complete AR10 upper and then tweak the parts as you see fit.

Good luck with it.

I wouldn't bother building one, I'd just buy one of these (which I did actually):
BCA | Complete Upper Assemblies | AR-15, AR-10, & AR-9

The mags you can get from Midway for about 15 bucks. AR Stoner brand I believe and 10 rounds.

I have shot both cheap Tula and the Golden Tiger through mine and both are surprisingly accurate. Nice tight groups at 50yds with a red dot and no problem hitting steel leaf springs and plates at 100yds. They're a great deal since they include the BCG and everything else, you just need a lower. Occasionally you need a stronger trigger spring for the military primers but you won't know till you try.

The only deal breaker there would be the 16" barrel. Great for a 7.62x39 m4 carbine build w/ detachable carry handle. But for the m16a1/2 style that's a no-go. Still, I'll take your rec for my 16" build

The 20" rifle length 5 .56 is finicky?
Ok if your in a free state you have lots of options. Although some are pricey.
Is there a particular reason you want A1 or A2 20" in x39?
i got to run a RRA LAR-47 X1 while back . Shot well for the cheap ammo pumped through it

Last edited:
I'm curious about the 20" requirement too. Are you going for increased velocity? Its not like the x39 round is good for long range work where you'd want the longer barrel.

Lots of classic internet gun people action here. There's no real point to the 20" barrel. Purely looks. I like 7.62x39 quite a bit and I'll keep my 400 yds plus to my higher power rifles

Pictured it looks unthreaded but description says it is?

Model 1 has a A2 x39 upper for around $400

Damn, this is perfect!!!!! A little bit pricey, coming in at about 550 for the a2 upper with sight and completely bcg + charging handle but it beats time tracking down individual parts. I'll probably order from these guys when it's time. Thanks!!!!

What are we talking for wait times? We talking two weeks or two months?
Yup and longer .
When i was wanting to buy/build a dedicated 22lr upper i ended up ordering one from M1S after 4 months my CC was charged and then 3 months later nothing .... Ended up cancelling order. That was my worst experience.
Then several years ago they offered a good deal on A2 service rifle upper with krieger 1/7 twist barrel. After 4 months THEY cancelled the order because they could not forfill the krieger barrel request. i did get a decent price on a basic A2 from them they had in stock. I bought some other odds and ends from them over a few year period but honeslty after 2012 i have not even looked until now.
Im not sure how M1S works. Or if they even make or assemble anything themselves?
Let us know how you make out

Last edited:
Yup and longer .
When i was wanting to buy/build a dedicated 22lr upper i ended up ordering one from M1S after 4 months my CC was charged and then 3 months later nothing .... Ended up cancelling order. That was my worst experience.
Then several years ago they offered a good deal on A2 service rifle upper with krieger 1/7 twist barrel. After 4 months THEY cancelled the order because they could not forfill the krieger barrel request. i did get a decent price on a basic A2 from them they had in stock. I bought some other odds and ends from them over a few year period but honeslty after 2012 i have not even looked until now.
Im not sure how M1S works. Or if they even make or assemble anything themselves?
Let us know how you make out

Oh, that's no bueno
When I order, I'll probably call them a d do it via phone, make sure they have the hands on the parts first. A 3-7 month wait isn't even worth the value of my time. IDE rather hunt for parts separately at that point.

Still, I'll post results when I do order

Back
Top Bottom