Building new precision rifle.

I'm building a precision rifle. Buying all the parts and assembling. I'm still debating what caliber to get. Leaning to staying with short action so either 6.5 CM (already reloading this) or 6.5 PRC. I really like the 300PRC that just came out but would have to go long action. Anyway here my build list.

-BigHorn TL3 Action
- Proof research Carbon Fiber Barrel or Prefit shouldered 26" steel barrel in Heavy Palma (eventually have one of each).
-KRG Bravo Chassis w/ enclosed foregrip
Triggertech Special Rem 700 trigger
Atlas B10 Bipod
Hellfire Muzzle Brake.
Glass i already have and like allot (Athlon Aries BTR 4.5 -27 x50 FFP)

Rifle will be used for precision rifle bench / prone shooting and I reload for best quality ammo.

So everything will be ordered online. The Bighorn TL3 will need to be sent to a FFL. I live in Fitchburg, MA and would like a FFL that is closer than Worcester. I mean I will go to Worcester if i need to but if anyone knows of a closer one i would appreciate it.

When it is done it will look very similar to this.
FE174DF1-395D-4603-BE98-4388DAA18CE2.jpeg

I don’t have a lot experience with your parts list or caliber, but it looks like you are putting together something with sniper/tactical accuracy and not benchrest accuracy. What kind of groups are you looking for, and at what distances?

Dave

i would say bench/sniper/ precision rifle are all similar in my view. What I mean by bench shooting is that this is not a hunting rifle so weight is no concern. That rifle in the pic has a CF barrel which weights just over 3lbs. A heavy Palma Barrel will weight in over double that weight. A 16-20lb rifle for bench/precision shooting is average weight but i wouldn't want to shoulder that for hunting.

At 100 yards, if you take a shooter out of the equation and develop loads correctly, this should be a 1/2 MOA rifle after barrel break in. My range has up to 300 yards. I eventually would like to take some day trips and shoot out to 1000 plus yards but i need to develop my shooting skills more. I would also like to get into competition shooting matches in the future. My schedule right now doesn't allow for that.

As for the Calibers.

-6.5 CM is a good 1000 yard round. Very accurate target round and reloading i'm getting 2600Fps+ out of a 20" barrel TC Compass. With a longer 26" barrel and some different powder I can easily get 2800+ FPS. I'm using H4350 right now. Its slower powder but the consistency is ridiculous. My node that was the best was 42grains. My 5 shot FPS was 2604, 2614, 2604, 2604, 2614 with 140gr ELD-match. under 1 MOA at 100yards with a $250 rifle.

-6.5 PRC is a evolution of the Creedmore. IT is basically a hot version good for 1500-2000yards (not that i will be shooting that far). Still a short action caliber (barely) but will shoot a 147gr bullet closer to 3000fps. Barrels will shoot out a lot faster though.

-300PRC is basically a magnum .30cal simular to 300 winmag but uses the aerodynamic technical improvements that were learned in the 6.5 Creedmore. It is a designed for us military sniper/long range large game hunting. It will propell a 225gr round close to 3000fps and is good for 2000+yards

Pullman would be great for a transfer. They are sort of Worcester but on the north side and just off 190 at Mountain St. Pretty convenient for you. Also there is Minuteman Armory in Templeton.

Great build project. 1/2 MOA seems quite reachable given the components you will use. I built a 6.5 CM AR-308 that consistently shoots .6 or better unless I really screw up the shot and/or load.

i would say bench/sniper/ precision rifle are all similar in my view. What I mean by bench shooting is that this is not a hunting rifle so weight is no concern. That rifle in the pic has a CF barrel which weights just over 3lbs. A heavy Palma Barrel will weight in over double that weight. A 16-20lb rifle for bench/precision shooting is average weight but i wouldn't want to shoulder that for hunting.

At 100 yards, if you take a shooter out of the equation and develop loads correctly, this should be a 1/2 MOA rifle after barrel break in. My range has up to 300 yards. I eventually would like to take some day trips and shoot out to 1000 plus yards but i need to develop my shooting skills more. I would also like to get into competition shooting matches in the future. My schedule right now doesn't allow for that.

As for the Calibers.

-6.5 CM is a good 1000 yard round. Very accurate target round and reloading i'm getting 2600Fps+ out of a 20" barrel TC Compass. With a longer 26" barrel and some different powder I can easily get 2800+ FPS. I'm using H4350 right now. Its slower powder but the consistency is ridiculous. My node that was the best was 42grains. My 5 shot FPS was 2604, 2614, 2604, 2604, 2614 with 140gr ELD-match. under 1 MOA at 100yards with a $250 rifle.

-6.5 PRC is a evolution of the Creedmore. IT is basically a hot version good for 1500-2000yards (not that i will be shooting that far). Still a short action caliber (barely) but will shoot a 147gr bullet closer to 3000fps. Barrels will shoot out a lot faster though.

-300PRC is basically a magnum .30cal simular to 300 winmag but uses the aerodynamic technical improvements that were learned in the 6.5 Creedmore. It is a designed for us military sniper/long range large game hunting. It will propell a 225gr round close to 3000fps and is good for 2000+yards
My only advice is build the rifle to conform to the matches you intend to shoot in.

Like your spec, should make a sweet PRS type rifle.

Why CF barrel? If weight isn’t a concern, why spend the extra $$$?

I had CZ a deposit on a PVA John Hancock until the whole PVA / ARC issues went down. Was considering a similar build to yours now, but decided I want a sweet rimfire instead as it’s more likely I’ll use it regularly.

CF barrel would only be if i decided to use the rifle for Hunting. But realistically i'll just will keep my TC Compass to do that. $300 rifle and cheap scope that is about 7lbs. I'm actually thinking about switching to the new BigHorn Origin Action. Different material, pinned lug are really the only differences from the TL3 and it's $425 cheaper too. I was also looking at the ARC Nucleus. The version 1.1 can be had for a limited time for $800. But what i have read online i'm more comfortable with the Bighorn. The Nucleus is more complex, is a 3 lug design and is picky with triggers. But allot of people seem to like them. Both have pre-fit shouldered match grade barrels for sale. That make everything much easier.

OP
that will be a badass build
im less of a CF barrel but otherwise i would build something similar
my last build was a howa 1500 action in an XLR chassis and its been perfect
KRG wont disappoint
i agree 6.5 CM esp if youre already loading it
be sure to post up some build pics thx

If I were building a short action I would go 260 AI. But that's me. If shooting mostly from a bench, I'd loose the bipod and use sand bags. I currently have a long action in the works that will be a Rem 280AI.
Whichever way you go it will be a great project and be careful, precision rifle is very addictive.

Not to thread drift but humor me.
I have access to a rem 700 in 300 RUM. What can I,build off that action thats more user friendly for paper punching.?

I see what you are getting at. Barrel swap without changing the bolt face, magazine, etc.
All those eargeshplitten calibers take a toll on the shoulder and the wallet. Keep it in RUM and handload?

Update on my build. I changed a bunch of items and thanks to Stimulus money and a bunch of OT at work I was able to increase my budget significantly. Goal for the rifle is PRS match shooting.

What I currently have now:
- Barrel PVA Prefit (for ZA Origin) shouldered 26" M24 SST Barrel in 6.5CM
-MDT ACC chassis with weights
-MDT Ckye pod (bipod)
-MDT (no binder) steel DSSF 10rnd mags (qty2)
-Triggertech Diamond Rem 700 trigger
-Area 419 Hellfire Muzzle Brake.
-Glass Just bought Leupold Mark5 7-35x56 CCH (thank you stimulus check).
- Headspace gauges for 6.5 CM
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Need to still buy once my FFL is open.
-ZA Origin Action.
-ARC M10 scope rings.
-Barrel vise and action wrench

All in all it is about $6000.00 total expense. I have been blessed this year with extra income, between tax return, stimulus check, work bonus and a ton of OT at work. Everything i spent is extra $$ and normally it would take me over a year to save up for a rig like this.
I plan on posting pics of everything once I get it and my build process if anyone is interested.

Update on my build. I changed a bunch of items and thanks to Stimulus money and a bunch of OT at work I was able to increase my budget significantly. Goal for the rifle is PRS match shooting.

What I currently have now:
- Barrel PVA Prefit (for ZA Origin) shouldered 26" M24 SST Barrel in 6.5CM
-MDT ACC chassis with weights
-MDT Ckye pod (bipod)
-MDT (no binder) steel DSSF 10rnd mags (qty2)
-Triggertech Diamond Rem 700 trigger
-Area 419 Hellfire Muzzle Brake.
-Glass Just bought Leupold Mark5 7-35x56 CCH (thank you stimulus check).
- Headspace gauges for 6.5 CM
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Need to still buy once my FFL is open.
-ZA Origin Action.
-ARC M10 scope rings.
-Barrel vise and action wrench

All in all it is about $6000.00 total expense. I have been blessed this year with extra income, between tax return, stimulus check, work bonus and a ton of OT at work. Everything i spent is extra $$ and normally it would take me over a year to save up for a rig like this.
I plan on posting pics of everything once I get it and my build process if anyone is interested.
Why would tou not have the receiver manufacture install and finish ream the chamber for you. With that kind of money I would want the receiver/barrel face/threads true to each other ?

Why would tou not have the receiver manufacture install and finish ream the chamber for you. With that kind of money I would want the receiver/barrel face/threads true to each other ?

For a general run of the mill R700 action you would do that. The tolerances on a mass produced R700 action require you to machine and true up the action to the barrel. They also usually skim cut the bolt face also.
With a custom actions there is absolutely no need for that. The tolerances and dimensional specs are so precise that no only you don't need to true up the action to the barrel, you can have a Smith machine a shouldered barrel, with out action in hand, and all you need to do is torque it down and you will have the correct headspace. That's what you get when you spend $800-$1500 just on an action.

Ive never machined an action, but with a custom action, id like to think that everything would, and should run true . Perpendicular surface is machined at the same time as the bore or threads are machined, and there arent any mechanical issues with the lathe or mill , everything shouldnt run out more than a few tenths.

I like the rings from ARC but switched away from them on one rifle because the extra material on the top blocked my view of the turret while maintaining cheekweld.

Back
Top Bottom