Bullerproofzone MICH Helmet

SFC13557

NES Member
Ordered this helmet Friday and arrived today. Great price and highly recommend product.

"Bulletproofzone".... [thinking]

When my dad was in the army in WWII, someone in his unit said that the tin hat would stop a bullet. My dad told him to put it on the ground, and he shot it with a .45.

Nice vent hole resulted. "Go explain that to the supply sergeant." [laugh]

I hope that tech has improved.

"Bulletproofzone".... [thinking]

When my dad was in the army in WWII, someone in his unit said that the tin hat would stop a bullet. My dad told him to put it on the ground, and he shot it with a .45.

Nice vent hole resulted. "Go explain that to the supply sergeant." [laugh]

I hope that tech has improved.

Nope. Nothing has improved since WWII.

I think the newer composite helmets will supposedly stop some rifle rounds at 300+ yards, but the head trauma from a "stop" would not be fun. My dad said he was in a firefight in vietnam and the guy next to him in the fighing hole (he was Marine infantry) dropped like a sack of potatoes. He went to look for a bullet wound when the guy suddenly came back to life, disoriented and shocked. A round had gone through both sides of his helmet, front to back, missing his head by a hair's breadth, knocking him out cold.

I wore a full size Kevlar and it was heavy and uncomfortable especially wearing it for 8-10 hrs a day. This helmet is much more comfortable because it's lighter and has better suspension system with 7 pads plus the side rails and front mount. I've worn many helmets in my life starting with a batting helmet in Little League to motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets and hard hats. This is a good price, the other ones I"ve seen on the internet are much more expensive. It's advertised as being able to stop a .357 Sig full metal jacket flat nose round and a .44 magnum SJHP at velocities up to 1450 ft/s.

I think the newer composite helmets will supposedly stop some rifle rounds at 300+ yards, but the head trauma from a "stop" would not be fun. My dad said he was in a firefight in vietnam and the guy next to him in the fighing hole (he was Marine infantry) dropped like a sack of potatoes. He went to look for a bullet wound when the guy suddenly came back to life, disoriented and shocked. A round had gone through both sides of his helmet, front to back, missing his head by a hair's breadth, knocking him out cold.

Crazy what happens sometimes. My grandfather in WWII had a round enter the helmet below the top of his head. But got deflected and kind of skimmed the inside of his helmet and then pop out the other side, also below the top of the head. Literally curved around his head inside the helmet. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see his helmet that he kept.

Same thing happened to one of our artillery guys, who was the recipient of a blue-on-blue from some jumpy Greek sentries in Kosovo. The round passed between his Kevlar and his skull above the ear, took a ride along the inside of the K-pot, shot off the foam paratrooper pad we had in the back, and eventually lodged in the opposite side of the helmet outside the webbing.

In WWII, with a steel pot, the round probably would have eventually punched out the side of the helmet instead of lodging there. Ballistics are weird, though, so who knows?

Point being, kevlar is not steel. So comparing the two makes no sense.

They're heavy and bulky. I was never a fan, especially once you tack on a NOD or some MILES sensors.
As a civ, do you see any value in owning a helmet like the OP posted?

1660324109646.png

View attachment 649402

I kept my Kpot when I ETSed. If SHTF, I might put that on.

I'm not about to spend more money on something like the OP posted. I can see why people do, of course, and I don't fault them. But if I ever have to do anything tactical, I'll probably do it in a hat. Might not be too wise, but then I don't own body armor either. I plan to be quick and quiet, not shoot-y.

Does it offer anything more protective than the older PASGT style for a fraction of the price? Or is it just more operator?

Does it offer anything more protective than the older PASGT style for a fraction of the price? Or is it just more operator?

It's got to be lighter, and if it fits as close to the head as it appears, that'll make a big difference to anyone used to the PASGT.

View attachment 649402
I seem to always be lured into these conversations. Like @Picton, my experiences make me value mobility vs armor, even though I was just a LEO playing in the desert.

The only way I could see it being useful is if your only real plan is just kill one or two more people before you go down. Best to be quiet, quick, and invisible.

I seem to always be lured into these conversations. Like @Picton, my experiences make me value mobility vs armor, even though I was just a LEO playing in the desert.

The only way I could see it being useful is if your only real plan is just kill one or two more people before you go down. Best to be quiet, quick, and invisible.
Yeah. I have no dreams of attaining "Operator Status"... [rofl]

I'm built like a pillbox...

1660326162357.png

Yeah. I have no dreams of attaining "Operator Status"... [rofl]

I'm built like a pillbox...

View attachment 649415
I was once assigned to an 'elite' unit, according to the NY Times. It went straight to my head. For a week straight I introduced myself as "Elite Agent X".

It'd get ugly if I ever got 'operator' status.

I was once assigned to an 'elite' unit, according to the NY Times. It went straight to my head. For a week straight I introduced myself as "Elite Agent X".

It'd get ugly if I ever got 'operator' status.
Didn't delta force wear skateboard styrofoam helmets in Mogadishu? Real operators don't need kevlar lol

There are videos on the net of guys in iraqistan getting popped in the head and the Kevlar stopping the round. Probably a lot of luck involved also.

From what I was taught, the helmets are meant to reduce casualties from artillery shrapnel. One of those things that are insignificant on a personal level, but when calculated army wide, the numbers justify it.

I think if you are on your own without medical evac and such, all plate carriers and helmets do is weigh you down and ensure you will bleed out slowly rather than take a quick exit from a vital hit.

Didn't delta force wear skateboard styrofoam helmets in Mogadishu? Real operators don't need kevlar lol

So, although I only got shot at three times, I never got the idea that my Kpot would have been super-useful in a full on fight. Like, the volume of fire would mean you'd probably get hit in more than one place? If that makes sense?

On the other hand, that stupid helmet probably saved me from about three dozen concussions, because the nature of the beast is that military life is VERY compatible with frequently bumping your head. Any helmet will assist with that, even a football or bike helmet.

So if I'd been able to choose what kind of headgear to wear, I too would probably have picked a hockey helmet like the D-guys did back then. I'd have lost whatever ballistic advantage the kevlar offered, but it would have been great protection against most of what you need, which is freedom from head-bumps. And it would not have made me feel like a human bobble-head.

View attachment 649402

I was in the military 26 years, and didn't see the value in a helmet, I sure wouldn't wear one now. (I was Army Intel, then in the Air Force - I was as far from being a high speed low drag supertrooper as you can get) Wearing a helmet and vest was, IMO, stupid, and I made every effort to not do so. If I had to wear the vest, chances are my plates were in my (air conditioned) tent. I figured the chance of me needing them was minimal and took the risk.

I've kept them, for sentimental value, but as I've already chucked most of my military stuff, they'll probably end up in the dump soon.

I do have a construction type hat that I would be inclined to wear. Not so much as protection, but as a means of blending in an emergency situation as someone who should be allowed to go areas where I probably shouldn't. I've got a couple flourescent t shirts as well.

I'd say, in general, that's probably better protection to a real cause of injury. A bullet hitting a ballistic helmet and not hitting below the protection is how much God likes you that day. It's a matter of inches of being helpful at all. You're probably going to be knocked out or at least stunned from a rifle round from a dead on hit, better than dead no doubt, but you're still out of the action if you are solo like in a most likely SHTF scenario.

I was in the military 26 years, and didn't see the value in a helmet, I sure wouldn't wear one now. (I was Army Intel, then in the Air Force - I was as far from being a high speed low drag supertrooper as you can get) Wearing a helmet and vest was, IMO, stupid, and I made every effort to not do so. If I had to wear the vest, chances are my plates were in my (air conditioned) tent. I figured the chance of me needing them was minimal and took the risk.

I've kept them, for sentimental value, but as I've already chucked most of my military stuff, they'll probably end up in the dump soon.

I do have a construction type hat that I would be inclined to wear. Not so much as protection, but as a means of blending in an emergency situation as someone who should be allowed to go areas where I probably shouldn't. I've got a couple flourescent t shirts as well.
This man knows how to be a ghost in a bad situation.

Back
Top Bottom