• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Anyone ever have an issue with their lee 4 20 pot over heating? My pot even when set to one runs the temp up past 800. I’ve stopped dropping lead back into the pot because I have the layer of sawdust on the top. Might be time for a PID on the pot.
Okay I’ll reach out to them and get it replaced.
Lee will send a replacement, just add it to your cart. Do yourself a favor and figure out a order as lee charges a minimum for shipping. Make it worth it.

COVID kick my butt into gear with casting… always wanted to do it but I never had the time. Not as much time now but I manage to work it in. I have another 15-20 pounds of 9’s and 38’s to coat up and hopefully load up over the winter. Shot about 100 of the nines I coated today.. went great. I have to up the silhouette a bit because I had a bit of unburnt powder. We were hitting the steel plate from the hundred.

Anyone out there Hitek coating any bullets good for 30/30 and maybe 35 remington ?
I still have some of the Hitek coated Lee C309-170-F that I could send you if you want. Not sized or with GC, just like the others I sent you but in bronze, not red. I planned on trying them in 30-30 but havent got to it. Let me know
20200619_170855.jpg

That would be sweet. You have a “harder” alloy? Says the 336 micro groove rifling likes a harder alloy….yet “they” dont say how hard?
Let me know what you want when you get around to casting some
I can cast some out of wheel weights and water drop them after coating. I only have a .358” sizer though so I could leave them unsized.
When you get them pop them in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes then drop them in water. Size right away.

I’m going to load up a few with the same recipe as the Hi-Tek coated bullets. I beagles the mold and increased my sizing die to .316. I still had leading… wrapping them in paper really wasn’t that bad. I just have to load up more nines and switch the press over. Going to run them through the sizer. Is it okay to lube them with lee Alox?

I’m going to load up a few with the same recipe as the Hi-Tek coated bullets. I beagles the mold and increased my sizing die to .316. I still had leading… wrapping them in paper really wasn’t that bad. I just have to load up more nines and switch the press over. Going to run them through the sizer. Is it okay to lube them with lee Alox?
Yeah you don’t need much lube just a tiny wipe. I use bore butter. Anything seems to work. It’s more about protecting the patch than lubing the bore.

Loaded a dummy round for testing and it chambered fine. I sized the bullet down to .311 and wrapped it twice in the tracing paper and sized it back down to .316.

9B1EF3BA-AECA-4F35-B401-91B6A1567E72.jpeg

Here is a picture after chambering.

F63B5B94-EF2D-469C-BC8F-4AD5CB080EB2.jpeg

Going to see what I have for brass on hand and try to load up a few with 18gr of 2400.

I took six of my paper patched rounds out to the range last weekend and shot them at the hundred yard mark testing the minute of banking and they were more accurate then the plain Hi-tek. They looked to be grouping in the same general area which was a plus. I checked the bore and there was a little bit of leading at the end of the bore that stopped about an inch shy of the crown.

@pastera slugged this gun at about .314 during the seminar and I sized the paper patched bullets to .316. My load was 18gr of 2400 over a 190gr bullet. Paper patching wasn’t to tough and I was looking for any tips to eliminate the leading. The bore is not the best with some wear near the muzzle and it doesn’t look to be counter-bored but the rifling is weak. Definitely a fun project.

My buddy who came to the seminar is turning into a casting beast and is making some beautifully coated bullets and has been very successful.

I took six of my paper patched rounds out to the range last weekend and shot them at the hundred yard mark testing the minute of banking and they were more accurate then the plain Hi-tek. They looked to be grouping in the same general area which was a plus. I checked the bore and there was a little bit of leading at the end of the bore that stopped about an inch shy of the crown.

@pastera slugged this gun at about .314 during the seminar and I sized the paper patched bullets to .316. My load was 18gr of 2400 over a 190gr bullet. Paper patching wasn’t to tough and I was looking for any tips to eliminate the leading. The bore is not the best with some wear near the muzzle and it doesn’t look to be counter-bored but the rifling is weak. Definitely a fun project.

My buddy who came to the seminar is turning into a casting beast and is making some beautifully coated bullets and has been very successful.
You might want to make the patches a little longer. Sometimes (for sure with black powder and soft lead) the bullet bumps up a bit as it enters the bore and basically the ogive ahead of the wrap bumps up and turns into bearing surface which can leave some leading in the bore because it’s not protected by the patch.

ETA I just looked at the pics of your bullets and this is not the issue. Those suckers are wrapped up far enough.

Did you make sure you cleaned the bore really well before shooting the new bullets? Where is the leading? Throat, muzzle? The whole damn way?

Could it be some leading that was there before?

You might want to make the patches a little longer. Sometimes (for sure with black powder and soft lead) the bullet bumps up a bit as it enters the bore and basically the ogive ahead of the wrap bumps up and turns into bearing surface which can leave some leading in the bore because it’s not protected by the patch.

ETA I just looked at the pics of your bullets and this is not the issue. Those suckers are wrapped up far enough.

Did you make sure you cleaned the bore really well before shooting the new bullets? Where is the leading? Throat, muzzle? The whole damn way?

Could it be some leading that was there before?
I will toss this out as a WAG maybe the paper did a good job of polishing the existing lead

I will toss this out as a WAG maybe the paper did a good job of polishing the existing lead
That’s why I was asking. You see that with jacketed. You think your bore just has some powder fouling till a jacketed bullet or even a bore brush shines everything up real nice.

I’ll give it a good cleaning before the next test run. It wasn’t a ton of leading and it did clean up pretty quickly so maybe it was some left over from the Hi-Tek. Looked like it was at the muzzle end and it was very thin. I’ll give it a good scrubbing and give it another run. I’ll also make sure the paper is past the ogive. This is one bore I really don’t mind scrubbing.

I’ll give it a good cleaning before the next test run. It wasn’t a ton of leading and it did clean up pretty quickly so maybe it was some left over from the Hi-Tek. Looked like it was at the muzzle end and it was very thin. I’ll give it a good scrubbing and give it another run. I’ll also make sure the paper is past the ogive. This is one bore I really don’t mind scrubbing.
Old bores with a lot of aged fouling can take a lot to get “clean” old school light in the breach and eye ball down the muzzle will often show a nice bright bore. Often this is just polished fouling and copper/lead
Keep at it. As long as its not excessive build up and having effect on accuracy dont get to hung up on it.

Back
Top Bottom