• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Slug your bore and go 0.001-0.002 over

I can't find my 0.358 die but I have 0.356 and 0.357 handy - I think the Lyman is loaded with white label 2500 so if you want to try some lubed bullets I can do some Lee 356-124-2r @0.356 and 0.357 for you to try.
Would just need to fire up the melt pot because everything I have cast is already coated and sized.

It all depends on the cartridge. Higher pressure cartridges can have issues for sure.

You just need to use some tricks to get around it.
I ran 9mm with no issues with tumble lube, traditional lube and coating.
I had issues at first but that was due to too much neck tension on a soft bullet. This cause under sized bullets which would tumble and lead. Hardening up the bullets made sure that they would not get squished down under neck tension.
Some guys just use a larger expander but I didn’t feel like having one made for my Dillon.

Other than that so far I haven’t had issues with leading as long as I use the proper diameter bullet.

For example in my 1911 if I ran .451” bullets after a mag I would have so much lead it was hard to see the rifling. Same for .452” bullets.
Step up to .453” and I can shoot that gun all I want with zero lead in the bore. Literally thousands of rounds without ever passing a brush down the bore.
Why a good bore slugging is needed.
Ran into same problem with one of my 1911s , I dont see 9mm barrels being spot on and most likely have a wide range of dimensions inside from tight to loose

Why a good bore slugging is needed.
Ran into same problem with one of my 1911s , I dont see 9mm barrels being spot on and most likely have a wide range of dimensions inside from tight to loose

I need to slug mine. The handgun I'm thinking I will cast for is a SW 929. I have been shooting coated .356 bullets from Bayou, but I recently ordered some sized to .357 and .358.

It seems most people are shooting either .357 or .358 out of that gun. I will slug it after I try those loads.

Michael posted some molds for .357 heavy bullets that I am considering. One thing I noticed is that every mold seems to have lube grooves.

After slugging, I might buy a cheap LEE mold and see how that works, or, I might send one of the BAYOU bullets to a mold manufacturer and have them cut me a mold for plain RN bullets that I will coat. I dont know yet, I'm thinking about it and doing some reading in the meantime.

If I go with a custom mold, since I can seat the bullets pretty far out in the revolver, I will probably make the bullet a little longer so it is over 160gr. I want to see how heavy I can go.

I need to slug mine. The handgun I'm thinking I will cast for is a SW 929. I have been shooting coated .356 bullets from Bayou, but I recently ordered some sized to .357 and .358.

It seems most people are shooting either .357 or .358 out of that gun. I will slug it after I try those loads.

Michael posted some molds for .357 heavy bullets that I am considering. One thing I noticed is that every mold seems to have lube grooves.

After slugging, I might buy a cheap LEE mold and see how that works, or, I might send one of the BAYOU bullets to a mold manufacturer and have them cut me a mold for plain RN bullets that I will coat. I dont know yet, I'm thinking about it and doing some reading in the meantime.

Is there a reason you’re trying to avoid the lube grooves?

No reason. I just didnt know how they would work. I will definitely try them, that is why I asked the question about leading. If I go with lube grooves, I probably wont coat it. Or at least I will try to make it work without coating.
I meant even for coating. You can coat and use lube groove bullets without lube. They work great.
I didn’t know if you were trying to match the profile of a plated/jacketed bullet

Stopped by my father's this morning and he gave me a couple pieces of lead. The window weight is marked 15, not like others I have found. A battery terminal, an old tub drain plug, some sinkers, and a wooden gutter downspout. He said he had a bunch of old plumbing solder that can't be used anymore due to lead and he will get that to me soon.
20200628_120118.jpg

Stopped by my father's this morning and he gave me a couple pieces of lead. The window weight is marked 15, not like others I have found. A battery terminal, an old tub drain plug, some sinkers, and a wooden gutter downspout. He said he had a bunch of old plumbing solder that can't be used anymore due to lead and he will get that to me soon.
View attachment 368814
Nice score! That solder is awesome to have on hand. I grab it from yard sales whenever I see it. Cheap source of tin and great trade fodder.

View attachment 368814
thats how it starts.
i thought I was done smelting my scraps.
NOPE, clearing out leaves behind the shed I came across more lead flashing partial rolls. Using up that 6lbs of free propane processing that now. Wondering if i should try to get the isotope containers melted down before the 6lbs runs out?

i need a new 4-6oz soup ladle 4oz pores almost perfect Redneck Gold Ignots. I have straight cast iron ladle but its to big for the pot and the angle is all wrong to get a full scoop.

all solder is good if you get it free.
i score a few rolls with out trying each year.
I cant ID most of it so I assume 50/50

So far my free 6lbs of propane have produced 75# of ignots. You should be getting at least 30lbs of lead melted per 1lb of propane. Depending on your set up and efficiency.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYLDD8o0EBQ

Last edited:
thats how it starts.
i thought I was done smelting my scraps.
NOPE, clearing out leaves behind the shed I came across more lead flashing partial rolls. Using up that 6lbs of free propane processing that now. Wondering if i should try to get the isotope containers melted down before the 6lbs runs out?

i need a new 4-6oz soup ladle 4oz pores almost perfect Redneck Gold Ignots. I have straight cast iron ladle but its to big for the pot and the angle is all wrong to get a full scoop.

all solder is good if you get it free.
i score a few rolls with out trying each year.
I cant ID most of it so I assume 50/50
Usually you can tell the difference between lead free and lead solders.
I can’t do it unless I have a roll of lead free side by side but from why I remember there’s a clear difference. IIRC the lead free has a more “white” almost aluminum look to it when tarnished vs the darker lead alloys

you can tell buy how it feels when bending it also. after a while you get the feel and look for it.
just grab what ever you find if its free or cheap

Last edited:
View attachment 368814
PS that terminal is probably Zinc/ Zn

If I go with a custom mold, since I can seat the bullets pretty far out in the revolver, I will probably make the bullet a little longer so it is over 160gr. I want to see how heavy I can go.

Like that?

Accurate molds.
9mm starts on pg 5 and goes to pg 6.
Pick your poison

200 grains were a success and I tried some of my blue 9mm for giggles and they failed. So back to the pot with the. And I’m going to stick with green bullets. Maybe I’ll give black a try so I can say I used all of my colors. Maybe mix up a 1/4 batch of color or something and coat five pounds. I have some Dillon tool heads coming so 8mm is on deck and then 303 Brit

So for the 8mm I’m using the Lee mold and coated/gas checked they are coming in at 185 grains. What is the best way to get the starting loads? I have the Lyman 49/50 loading manual but they list only the 165 grain. Figure I would see what the experts recommend. I think I have some 4198 and 5477

Anyone have a source for firebricks or refractory bricks? I want to build a better suround for my smelting pot. Getting a new burner soon and really want to up my my efficiency. Think I should get more out of a tank. Might score a larger tank also. Hoping it has a few years left on the date code.

Been looking for a old heater housing or stove and take the shell and insulation out.
Maybe some ceramic blanket material .
My burner was already rusty when i picked it up. No matter what I,have done its now rotting heavily. A few of the gas vents have really opened up and I get a poor flame.

Last edited:
Anyone have a source for firebricks or refractory bricks? I want to build a better suround for my smelting pot. Getting a new burner soon and really want to up my my efficiency. Think I should get more out of a tank. Might score a larger tank also. Hoping it has a few years left on the date code.

Been looking for a old heater housing or stove and take the shell and insulation out.
My burner was already rusty when i picked it up. No matter what I,have done its now rotting heavily. A few of the gas vents have really opened up and I get a poor flame.
Masonry supply house. Check lowes/home depot/ace.

Bricks for a fire pit. Really any old bricks will work for what you are doing.
Look for someone getting rid of a gas grill with a side burner. The side burners are usually unused and in good shape, weld up a stand for it that fits in your brick enclosure.
I usually do my scrap melt in my fire pit at the end of the night after the fam goes to bed when the coals are hot and deep. I use an old cast iron pot from a tag sale to melt the scrap then ladle into muffin tins.

For the 8mm casts do rifle powders work better than pistol? Or is it more trial and error for the gun itself? I have the Lee 175 gr mold and after coating and gas checking and the alloy they are coming in around 185.

Looking at the load data above and comparing velocity differences, I would say yes, rifle powders would work better than pistol, assuming you want to go over 1500 fps.
Remember, two different burn rates. Longer barrels= slower the better

Back
Top Bottom