Bullet recommendations for .357?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey everyone,

What are some of loading .357 Magnum rounds with regarding bullet type? I was using Berry TMJ (same as "plated" IIRC) and they seem to turn into grenades when they're loaded to Magnum spec. I get fragments of the jacket flying backwards out of the forcing cone like little razors! I've been hit by these nasty little buggers on more than one occasion and they draw blood every time. [angry]

For a while, I thought that perhaps the crimp was too severe, and the back half of the jacket was shearing off the bullet given the Magnum pressures, but with almost NO crimp at all, I still get shrapnel on most rounds. I have since retired the Berry's 158grn TMJ bullets to light .38 Special loads, and now need some new projectiles for .357 Magnum.

FWIW, I've been using 2400 anywhere between 14.0 to 14.6 grns of powder.

Thanks! [smile]

".357 Magnum" covers a lot of territory. A load for a S&W 6" Model 28 is not going to make you a happy person, if fired in a Model 640.

I load for everything from the M640 snubbie to the 6" Model 28 and 10" Contender, as well as a couple of rifles. There just isn't a single load that is best for all.

In the heavier guns, I like a hard cast 180 gr TCFP with a stout load of H110 or WW296.

The lighter guns work out nicely with a hard cast 140 gr bullet loaded over a slightly less than full house load of Unique.

The M640 works well with a 125 gr JHP with faster powders.

Many people have good results with 2400 in full loads. I have not found it as useful as WW296.

Jack

To provide some gun info, I don't want to use lead bullets (for clean-up purposes), and the two guns I'll be firing the rounds out of are:

S&W 327TRR Performance Center .357 Magnum and a S&W 686 7-shot .357 Magnum

Thanks again!

Consider the poly-coated bullets for general use, especially practice. Much cheaper than jacketed, much cleaner than cast and no accuracy problems.

I have used them in competition for 3 or 4 years now in my .40 and .45 (semi and revolver) and am happy with the results.

Consider the poly-coated bullets for general use, especially practice. Much cheaper than jacketed, much cleaner than cast and no accuracy problems.

I have used them in competition for 3 or 4 years now in my .40 and .45 (semi and revolver) and am happy with the results.

I'm always up for trying something new. What bullet weight and brand do you use, and what type and charge weight of powder?

Thanks for the tip.

Haven't loaded .357 in years; I was using 158 RNFP's when I was still using a Mod. 28. Now I use a 625 PC - it gives me the advantages of a common caliber (I used to bring a 2nd gun w/me) and moon clips.

I use a truncated cone design in the .40 and an RNFP in the .45 (better for the revolver and no problems in the autos), with WST under each (used to be Red Dot). 231 or AA # 5 would be fine in .45; possibly Tite Group in .40.

Scriv,

I can't find any info on the "Poly-coated" you speak of in this post. I'm not going to even question whether or not you mean moly. Care to share? If not for the public, can you PM me with more info, and possibly a source? I'm very interested.

Thanks

Scriv,

I can't find any info on the "Poly-coated" you speak of in this post. I'm not going to even question whether or not you mean moly. Care to share? If not for the public, can you PM me with more info, and possibly a source? I'm very interested.

Thanks

Me too please! [grin]

Use 158 gr Win bulk JHPs. Cheap and a lot less clean up then lead.

I use them for 38 special taget practice.
4 gr Unique for 875 fps from a Bisley Blackhawk w/ 7-1/2" barrel

I use them for 357 magnum practice as well
14 gr 2400 for 1330 fps from a Bisley Blackhawk w/ 7-1/2" barrel

For self defense use Hornady 125 gr XTC
14.5 gr 2400 for 1475 fps from a Bisley Blackhawk w/ 7-1/2" barrel

for hunting use 158 gr Sierra Game Kings
14.7 gr 2400 for 1465 fps from a Bisley Blackhawk w/ 7-1/2" barrel
Deer lightning under 100 yards

shave off @ 75-100 fps for 4" barrels

Back
Top Bottom