• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

bullet seat/crimp die

Generally, I would always do the seating and crimping separately.
.45 ACP, .40 S&W and .380 Auto would use a taper crimp and I'm not certain any die companies have combo seater/taper crimp dies.
With .223 Remington, especially with BT bullets, I'd just seat them and apply no crimp. Neck tension should be the primary cement to hold your bullet. I'd only crimp to restore a flare, if applied for cast or flat-base bullets.

Assuming you have the powder check in station 3.... Throw that thing in the ocean.

That way you can continue seating and crimping in two separate stations.
I’ve never run a 650 for more than a few rounds.
However I’m a firm believer in looking to every case. Especially if you’re running a bullet and a case feeder. There’s nothing else to look at but the powder station

I couldn't agree more. That's part of my argument against the powder check.
I used to look at the primer feed and the powder in the case. I stopped looking at the primer feed because I can feel it easy enough.
I don’t have any issues cranking out 500 an hour out of a Dillon 550.
My eyes have to be looking at something. Might as well be keeping myself safe.

Looking for recommendations on combo seat/crimp die.What is the best brand.
I need to free up a station on my 650 for a bullet feeder.

The only company I can think of is LEE, although I am 100% sure I am wrong and there are others.
I believe the 3 die pistol sets (pace setter?) have a seat/crimp combo die (steel as opposed to the carbide insert)
I though I had read somewhere that the carbide insert pistol dies in the 4 die set (seating die) will double as a seat/ crimp.

No idea on rifle

I'm not certain any die companies have combo seater/taper crimp dies.

Pretty much all of them do. Lee, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, pick a manufacturer and they make combination seat/crimp dies with crimp style appropriate for the caliber.

If the crimp isn't normally appropriate for the caliber, it's usually spelled out in the description. For example, some manufacturers make taper crimp dies for .357 Magnum in addition to the normal roll crimp dies, and Hornady makes a roll crimp die for .45 ACP (they claim it's for reloaders that want to use .45 Colt bullets in revolvers chambered for .45 ACP).

Like others have said, if you're keeping a spot for a powder check die, don't. Just look in the case.

I've never used any powder check/lockout dies on my Hornady LNL and so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom