• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Business setup- multiple vehicles?

I trying to design a radio system that will allow our company's fleet to keep in touch through radio over as great a distance as possible. I am looking at business band which I believe would be running on vhf signals...We would have several vehicles set up with larger antenna's and mounted radios. I think 75 watts is what available, maybe? What kind of distance between vehicles could one really expect to get? Is there a better system to accomplish this? I am trying to understand radio powers and legal restrictions. Any recommendations on businesses that could design something for me or a reference site?

How many vehicles do you have and what kind of coverage do you need? More often than not if it's a wide area you're better off with cell phones, unless they have them already and you're just trying to improve real time comms.

I can't imagine that getting repeater space on the top of a huge hill or mountain (which is what you need if you want to get out 30+ miles) in new england is going to be cheap on a monthly basis.

-Mike

It would be a minimum of 5 vehicles. The greater the coverage the better, this is what I am trying to figure out and understand how its determined. Getting 30 miles would help but would be far from ideal, everyone has cell's but radio would be easier than all conference calling and while driving.

It would be a minimum of 5 vehicles. The greater the coverage the better, this is what I am trying to figure out and understand how its determined. Getting 30 miles would help but would be far from ideal, everyone has cell's but radio would be easier than all conference calling and while driving.

The reason I asked the distance is because that tends to be the limiting factor. I wonder if Zappa knows if there are any vendors that "sell capacity" on say a commercial trunked radio network in the state or the region... that's probably what you really want to get in on. If you want "real" coverage a multi repeater network is a must.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom