• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buyer or Seller?

Who should travel? I know when we had the Waffles on FB, the "buyer" (winner) was to go to the "seller". I'm sure there are some sellers that will travel because they need to sell it or just want "to get rid of it". So sellers and buyers, what's your opinion? Thanks

It ought to be stated in general terms in the WTS ad. The expectation is set there, along with the rest of the terms, by the buyer. Once buyer and seller make comms, the specifics can be ironed out.

Nine times out of ten, I expect both parties to travel whether I'm buying or selling.

Too many hypotheticals. A seller can travel 60 mi a day for work and be willing to meet on his trip. Or have family close by the buyer. As a rule of thumb, if you're the seller and you don't want to travel don't.

Buyer or Seller to travel?

Whoever wants the deal the most.
Need the cash? Take the trip.
Need the item? Take the trip,
If equal... meet in the middle...

Bottom Line: Seller sets the terms.

And don't forget this important fact: When an agreed upon 'neutral' location is set, both the seller and the buyer's home address are safe and anonymous (in most cases). Smart in these times...

I'll add this too: "You meet the nicest people at an NES sale..."

So, Don't "Buy & Fly", chat it up a bit you Neanderthals... and remember to bathe.

PS: Slumber Parties should be avoided...

Last edited:
When I’m selling I list places I’m willing to meet or travel to, but it’s always convenient for me. It’s up to the buyer to make the effort for something they want.

When I'm buying, I expect to do most, if not all, of the traveling. If the seller is really far away (over an hour), I'll ask if we can meet half-way prior to committing to the purchase and see what they say.

If you do agree on a price, after looking at posted photos, always tell the Seller: "I'll take it... after a personal inspection"

And then there are "The Goose Rules"...

The Goose's Disclaimer:
First and foremost if you want something I am selling then say “I will take it”. I do not consider questions or inquiries as a commitment of any sort. Terms like “I am interested” mean nothing. The fact that we may be having a dialogue does not mean that I am waiting for you to make a decision. The person who steps up and says “I will take it, when do we meet” closes the deal.
• I expect you to read the ad. Every single time I sell anything I get at least one and usually multiple questions about something that is already stated in the ad. Yes it has a 5” barrel AS STATED IN THE FREAKIN” AD!
• I expect YOU to know that you want the item. I am not a store. Do your own research and visit a gun shop if you just want to handle a particular gun. And no I will not meet you at your club so you can try it out to see if you like it. Of course you get to inspect the gun before you buy it, but barring a mechanical or condition issue I expect you to buy it. If you are not sure then do not waste my time. I once met a prospective buyer at the range so that he could try out a revolver I was selling. After trying it out and BSing for more then an hour he simply said that it just did not fit his hand right. WTF!
• If you want to negotiate that is fine, but do not start out by telling me that my price is too high. This is not a good way to make friends and influence people. I have never made a dime on any private sale ever. In fact I routinely lose money and have often cut deals for a friend. I may be asking more then you want to pay, but the price is never too high. Also as stated in the first item above I do not consider negotiating a form of commitment. If you are in the process of offering less then I am asking and someone else says “I will take it” then you lose. Don’t bitch at me.
• I reserve the right to sell to whoever the hell I want. Having said that I scrupulously sell to the first person who makes a firm commitment. Provided that person does not piss me off. Such as demanding that the transaction take place that day, when it does not work for me. Also do not assume that just because you are the first person to post a reply on the forum that you are also the first person to contact me directly. Not everyone posts a reply, some folks just PM an “I will take it”. I am not obligated to justify anything to some guy I have never met who demands to know why he did not get the deal when he believes he was the first in line. You may also rest assured that if you take that tack that you will also not be first in line if the initial deal falls through.
• Do not ask me if it is MA compliant. Actually, feel free to ask me, but if you are depending upon my answer without doing your own research then you should not even be participating in a private transaction. Do your own damn research.
• Do not agree to a deal on line and then offer me less when we meet. If that happens the deal is over, no matter what. A deal is a deal. The time to negotiate is during the initial transaction, once the deal is made that’s it.

Last edited:
When buying something, I always look at the map of the seller's location. As a buyer or seller, I often meet at major highway junctions to make it easy for both of us (if travelling far).

Depends on several factors. What is being bought/sold, price, distance, whether I know the other person or not, if we can agree on a good place to meet.

No way I’m going a long way to A “potential” buyer. Send me the cash first then we can talk.
This! When the buyer "forgets" to show up with the full amount you're not out the time to drive to that person as well.

As either the buyer or seller I would definitely prefer to meet in a neutral location. So Id expect to travel a little either way. Although I would expect to travel more as a buyer.

if i'm buying i go to the sellers location, i expect anyone buying from me to come to me. i was selling something recently and a potential buyer wanted me to bring it to him on the south shore. a big resounding "f*** you" told him that wasn't happening.

As either the buyer or seller I would definitely prefer to meet in a neutral location. So Id expect to travel a little either way. Although I would expect to travel more as a buyer.

Your view would change if you've had buyer no shows.

What is being sold? How bad do you want it gone or want to own it?
Every deal is different.
Had a great buyer today for a wood stove who drove 35 mins. It was dug out from an old post.
If the buyer had jerked me around it might have been a 4.75 hour drive for him but I was already there, trusted him, was flexible, and brought it down.
Worked out great for the both of us.

Damn, that's a shitty thing to do..I have been lucky I guess.

Only neg thing happened here was a guy said he would take it and said he sent payment. Waited a week, no payment.

Contacted him again and and said no money order arrived.

He acted surprised, never heard from him again.

No matter how many buyer no shows I had I would rather take a 5 minute drive to a neutral location than have a stranger come to my house having never met them before. To each their own though. With venmo and peer to peer transfers now, as the seller you could also ask for a small deposit like 25 bucks to be sent prior to the meet up to cover ur gas if you are concerned they will flake out. Ive offered that to sellers when I was the buyer to show I am serious.

I’ve had 2 guys give me the “wife doesn’t want me to sell it now “ after we have made agreements that kinda sucks. One I was buying the other was a trade.

Afaic, its a negotiable part of the deal. Ive haggled on a pistol, agreed on a price and then raised my price to get someone to meet me closer. Some people state flat out they arent travelling so what can you do?

if someone is coming to me, i meet them in four seasons parking lot. pretty much everyone on the forums has been there so they know where it is. but holy hell, if i want something bad enough i travel and often times....thank you jesus for gps. and i travel without animosity in my heart, even the time i went to the lower cape to get something. always smiling i am!

Buyer or Seller to travel?

Whoever wants the deal the most.
Need the cash? Take the trip.
Need the item? Take the trip,
If equal... meet in the middle...

Bottom Line: Seller sets the terms.

And don't forget this important fact: When an agreed upon 'neutral' location is set, both the seller and the buyer's home address are safe and anonymous (in most cases). Smart in these times...

I'll add this too: "You meet the nicest people at an NES sale..."

So, Don't "Buy & Fly", chat it up a bit you Neanderthals... and remember to bathe.

well said, great replies
Thanks

I've bought once and met at the Mill. Would do again
The seller did not give you feedback. Your "Score blocks" show all zeros. Feedback score is critical to show others "You mean business, and follow through with transactions"
Consider a PM and ask him/her to update your Feedback Score... Or, not.

I also give positive feedback points on Karma and freebies over the years because, If they say they are going to do something... and do, that tells others that they are "On the Level"...

I would not be surprised if a lot of "No Shows" are cold-feet. Afraid that things could go sideways...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom