Buying a gun question

Mine has the restriction of "sporting" placed on it. I had posted a letter I received along with my license that contained the definition that had been given to this restriction a little while ago. Of course a lot were arguing about the validity of the definitions and whether the letter came straight from the CHSB or whether they were simply the definitions assigned by my local PD. It's hard to say unless more people start getting a similar letter when they get their license.

Any chance you could post the content of that letter?

Mine has the restriction of "sporting" placed on it. I had posted a letter I received along with my license that contained the definition that had been given to this restriction a little while ago. Of course a lot were arguing about the validity of the definitions and whether the letter came straight from the CHSB or whether they were simply the definitions assigned by my local PD. It's hard to say unless more people start getting a similar letter when they get their license.

And then there's the legal luminary at the Plainville PD allegedly telling licensees they can carry on a restricted license......[rolleyes]

If your thinking about buying the gun before your LTC is in your hand & if your friend is/was going to give you posession of said gun before seeing your physical LTC, you should both consider the responsability of your LTC to begin with. And look into the laws before you act. It is easier to get your LTC than it is to keep it. I'm sure some people here will agree with me on that, it will save you from sharing jail cells.
"The Safe Way, Is The Only Way" Your instructor should have gone over the legal aspects & what is expected of you.

The original OP does worry me indeed. Before I even considered buying a firearm, i made sure that I had a good grasp of firearms laws. Especially restrictions on said licenses. If the OP supposedly had taking the firearms class he claims to have taken, then this basic knowledge should be known. The one thing that worries me about this OP is his persisten impatience to get a gun ASAP even if it means breaking laws. His first post implied getting the gun illegally, this next post implies getting a gun illegally as well. Granted the laws on the books are useless, and in reality the original OP shouldn't be seen as doing anything wrong, laws are laws and you would do well to follow them. It is people like that, which make gun owner's look bad. I pray his attention to gun handling and safety are better than his attention to the laws he needs to follow. As Scriv would do: [rolleyes]

I can't believe you guys haven't ripped this guy apart.

What do you call what's been going on here?

Everybody, give the guy a break. He's a newbie, and we're here to help him learn. Let's try not to be too mean about it.

He hasn't even logged on to respond to this mini-shitstorm. The laws and terminology are confusing - he's probably not advocating breaking the law, just unclear as to what "Restricted" means in this case.

This guy sounds like a 6 year old that can't wait until Christmas morning to open his presents. Seriously, grow up.

Everybody, give the guy a break. He's a newbie, and we're here to help him learn. Let's try not to be too mean about it.

He hasn't even logged on to respond to this mini-shitstorm. The laws and terminology are confusing - he's probably not advocating breaking the law, just unclear as to what "Restricted" means in this case.

For someone getting a gun-license MONDAY, these are basic thing one should know. This is information offered in a basic pistol training, along with your town's police website. I understand that it is confusing, I am still finding out that things I assumed to be truths were wrong, but basic understand should be expected.

Ya he's probably creating a new registration/screen name so he can come in and ask the same questions again.[smile]

No, but I agree we should go easy on him

I'm not trying to be mean at all. I suppose, after re-reading all the OP's comments, he's trying to be responsible....sort of. Yes, it is good that he said he wanted to wait until he got his LTC to purchase the firearm. But the reason he gave just rubs me the wrong way. He wanted to wait not because to purchase the firearm now would be illegal, but rather he wasn't confident that he had enough self-control to not illegally carry an illegally purchased firearm. Dude...[slap]. If you aren't sure you'll be able to wait to carry it, I'm not sure you'll be able to wait to stick your finger on the trigger until you have the weapon pointed downrange.

For someone getting a gun-license MONDAY, these are basic things one should know. This is information offered in a basic pistol training, along with your town's police website. I understand that it is confusing, I am still finding out that things I assumed to be truths were wrong, but basic understanding should be expected.

Maybe, maybe not. Some towns require only a "Home Safety" course in order to get an LTC, and some classes purposely avoid anything to do with MA gun laws (it's not part of the NRA lesson plan).

Like I said, I'm willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and help him along. I was new once too.

If you guys would rather shit down his throat, that's up to you.

I like to fling it around a bit, and see who comes out smelling. We've all been here! But, if the OP is reading this, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO CARRY IF YOUR LICENSE IS RESTRICTED!!! IT WILL BE SNATCHED FASTER THAN IT TOOK YOU TO SIGN IT! So if you couldn't wait till Monday to get it and carry it around, you may have to dig deeper and gather up some serious patience.

Maybe, maybe not. Some towns require only a "Home Safety" course in order to get an LTC, and some classes purposely avoid anything to do with MA gun laws (it's not part of the NRA lesson plan).

MGL 140-131P-b (emphasis mine) said:
The colonel of state police shall promulgate rules and regulations governing the issuance and form of basic firearms safety certificates required by this section. Said colonel shall certify certain persons as firearms safety instructors and shall certify safety course curriculum. Such certification shall be for a period of ten years, unless sooner revoked by reason of unsuitability, in the discretion of said colonel. The department of state police may impose a fee of $50 for initial issuance of such certification to offset the cost of certifying instructors. The fee for certification renewal shall be $10. Firearms safety instructors shall be any person certified by a nationally recognized organization that fosters safety in firearms, or any other person in the discretion of said colonel, to be competent to give instruction in a basic firearms safety course. Applicants for certification as instructors under the provisions of this section shall not be exempt from the requirements of this chapter or any other law or regulation of the commonwealth or the United States. Upon application to the colonel of state police, said colonel may, in his discretion, certify as a firearms safety instructor any person who operates a firearms safety course or program which provides in its curriculum: (a) the safe use, handling and storage of firearms; (b)methods for securing and childproofing firearms; (c) the applicable laws relating to the possession, transportation and storage of firearms; and (d) knowledge of operation, potential dangers and basic competency in the ownership and usage of firearms.

That sure sounds like avoiding the laws in a class is bad juju. My basic pistol class followed the NRA curriculum but there was an additional lecture on MA gun laws.

That sure sounds like avoiding the laws in a class is bad juju. My basic pistol class followed the NRA curriculum but there was an additional lecture on MA gun laws.

Yeah, I cover it too, but it doesn't mean everybody does (or does it right) especially when it comes to ambiguous areas like restrictions.

Why is your license restricted? It almost defeats the purpose. The only time you can carry is in the woods with a hunting license. You can have it in your house but? And the hunting license would need to allow for pistol hunting and pobably not high capacity. If the max is 5 shots in the magazine I think you ould need to modify the mag to only hold 5 shots. You get caught carrying w/out a hunting license or it loaded in the car you are screwed. All it takes is a tail light out on the car to get pulled over and if the officer sees the bulge of the firearm, oops.

Last edited:
Why is your license restricted? It almost defeats the purpose. The only time you can carry is in the woods with a hunting license. You can have it in your house but? And the hunting license would need to allow for pistol hunting and pobably not high capacity. If the max is 5 shots in the magazine I think you ould need to modify the mag to only hold 5 shots. You get caught carrying w/out a hunting license or it laded in te car you are screwed. All it takes is a tail light out on the car to get pulled over and if the officer sees the bulge of the firearm, oops.

Only if the restriction is "HUNTING" - period. Even with "Target & Hunting," there is no excuse for carrying while in a car.

If the restriction is "Sporting," then one could conceivable carry while hiking, camping, biking or any such activity. If nothing else, it would make an interesting case! [wink]

Acknowledged.

However, should you check the 12 threads he's started, a pattern of cluelessness emerges.

I saw them - including the one he started to thank us for helping him out.

Here's why I'm going to be patient with newbies:

When my son was 13, he wanted to build his own computer using parts he was going to buy with his own money. I thought it was such a good idea that I told him I'd match him dollar-for-dollar so he could make a nice system. I also told him that he was going to do the research, select the components, and build it - I would only supervise or help when he had trouble.

He went online to do some research and a while later I could tell something was bothering him. It turns out that he went to a motherboard forum someplace to ask a few basic questions and was treated very badly by the science-fiction-show-attending, pasty-faced-hot-pocket-eating geeks that lived there (no offense to any science fiction fans).

Sensing that this was an important parenting moment, I sat him down and told him this:

"Every one of those people that replied to you is the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. At 13 you can already kick their asses, and by 17 you'll have been laid more than they ever will in their lives. Don't let them bother you."

Whenever I see a newbie with a newbie-type question, I imagine my son (or little brother, sister, etc) asking the same thing and think about how I'd want them treated.

Last edited:
I have had an unrestricted class A since 1982 and never once carried a concealed weapon. I like many people on this site consider it a huge responsibility, some it would seem more than others. Anyone who is having a hard time following the law and is afraid their ability to resist temptation probably has alot of learning/growing up to do before they assume that responsibility. We should go easy so they continue to seek guidence here like E. Coyle says but they also need to be told to back off and reexamine their motives in the first place.

He went online to do some research and a while later I could tell something was bothering him. It turns out that he went to a motherboard forum someplace to ask a few basic questions and was treated very badly by the science-fiction-show-attending, pasty-faced-hot-pocket-eating geeks that lived there (no offense to any science fiction fans).

Sensing that this was an important parenting moment, I sat him down and told him this:

"Every one of those people that replied to you is the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. At 13 you can already kick their asses, and by 17 you'll have been laid more than they ever will in their lives. Don't let them bother you."

STELLAR response! [rofl]

And some good parenting. [wink]

so I can see this is how this forum works ask a question an get shit on. the reason i signed up for this question was to learn more about firearms an the laws reguarding them. not to get shit on in fact i recieved my class A today with a sporting restriction along with a paper telling what sporting is. i was also told to reapply in 1 year an i might recieve no restictions. the only reason i asked the question in he first place was i saw that i had a license number an was told i was approved. so i figured i'd ask that question an i got answer from people with respect an did not buy the gun. I would rather find out the right info instead of the wrong for those of you who helped me thanks.

so I can see this is how this forum works ask a question an get shit on. the reason i signed up for this question was to learn more about firearms an the laws reguarding them. not to get shit on in fact i recieved my class A today with a sporting restriction along with a paper telling what sporting is. i was also told to reapply in 1 year an i might recieve no restictions. the only reason i asked the question in he first place was i saw that i had a license number an was told i was approved. so i figured i'd ask that question an i got answer from people with respect an did not buy the gun. I would rather find out the right info instead of the wrong for those of you who helped me thanks.

But you gave us info as to your motives and plans without having done the research (concerning carrying w/ no permit and on a restricted permit)

If you had asked if that was allowed, no one wouldve jumped at you.

Back
Top Bottom