• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a new EDC pistol...

I'd like to buy a compact semi-auto for EDC. Right now I carry a full size SR40. My "dilemma" is should I stick with Ruger and go with a compact SR since I'm familiar with the platform, the gun is easy to use, eats anything, and is economical? Or, spend more to buy something that is "better," like a Sig or Glock? Then, should I stick with a gun chambered for .40 since I've got plenty of ammo on hand, it's interchangeable with my full size fotay, it's not a super popular cartridge so it hasn't seen the same shortages as 9mm, for example? Or go with the 9mm + slightly greater capacity, less recoil, etc.

Variety is the spice of life, so part of me wants to go down the more expensive gun, new caliber road. But logically, it seems that's not the wisest decision. FS has some used SRC's for under $300 while the others I mentioned are going for 1.5-3 times that.

I'm leaning towards just buying a SR40c, but want to know if there are any other compelling reasons not to (aside from Sig/Glock/your gun > Ruger).

If you're running a full size SR pistol proficiently, stick with it. I carried an SR9C for a year, and liked it a lot, was kind of waiting for them to make the SR45 into a compact, but found a smoking deal on an XDs 45 instead. If Ruger makes a small .45 acp, I would consider going back to it, but I'm liking the XDs more and more every day.

I have had nothing but good things to say about the Ruger. It shot very well for a small pistol, ate everything I fed it, and while I never had an issue with that gun, Ruger's customer service with a couple of issues on an LC9 and SR22 was second to none.

I carry an SR9c and love it, so I can't give you a reason not to get the 40. No one could really give you any objective reason not to carry one, just an opinion on what works better/worse for them. I agree with you on veriety though, and since you know the SR series, maybe try something else out and eventually you'll know the positives and negatives of both guns....and then you'll be in an even better position for your third gun! ;)

Well, my thought is that since you are looking for something smaller, you may as well go really small so you have a good, light clothing option, while still being able to use your current EDC for the colder months. That being said, I would go for a Sig P938, or a Kahr PM9 for the purpose of a lighter carry. I can't say anything bad about the SR9c as that is my regular EDC, but even that is a big big and bulky for lighter summer clothing so I went to an even smaller "summer gun" (M&P BG380). I don't think that you'll find the size difference in moving to an SRC to be dramatic enough to justify the cost (at least it wouldn't be to me). I eventually plan to get one of the models that I listed, but obviously the BG was only half the cost of either of those and it is so small and comfortable to carry that it was a no brainer to buy even if I eventually just use it as a secondary backup.

I bought a Sig P938 from FS to use as my summer carry gun. I regularly carry the Ruger SR9c. I love the Sig. So much so that I prefer to carry it rather than the SR9c even when I am dressed to conceal the SR9c. Shoot a few, if you can, before you decide. Some of the small sub compacts really hurt my hands when I shot them. No complaints on the Sig though

I love my SR9c as I always post. I carried it up until my XDs 45. I don't know. The SR series is great and I love Springfields and Glock too. Just start getting em all.

My 2 favorites are the Walther PPS with the free country trigger (thinner, 7 rounds) and the SR9c (more capacity, little more bulk).
Weigh about the same, handle and shoot well.

i have an sr9c and a shield. Both are nice, shield is noticeable easier to conceal using crossbreed holsters.

Look, I don't get it. Why would a SIG or Glock be better? Ruger makes a most excellent, reliable weapon. The only question you really need to ask yourself is how controllable a subcompact in .40 is for you. If you can manage decent and quick follow up shots, then there's absolutely, positively NOTHING wrong with an SR 40. I'd carry one any day.

i've only good things to say the SR9c.
have never shot the SR40c so can't speak about that specifically.
another nice feature is the magazine disconnect is so easily removed, unlike an M&P where it's quite a job.
as others have said, there are so many great EDC choices. if you're already invested in .40 and you shoot it well then go with an SR40c or G27 and i can't imagine being unhappy.
honestly the only MA-compliant striker guns that kinda irritate me are the M&P series (except the shield).
if you're really into .40 and you like recoil, check out the M&P shield in .40. i shot one alongside my 9mm shield and was like "yeah no thanks too beaucoup for me"

they are all good. Hand size is Key.
I have a G26, shield, SR9C, XDS-9 and carry the shield most of the time because of the grip, the Gen 4 and xds have a rough grip and dig in my skin, but still carry them. I started with the Ruger and still is my go to as I'm dead accurate with it.

thanks all, good food for thought.

do any of you know if MFL has most of these in stock for me to try out? specifically the Shield and any compact Sigs or Glocks?

Not sure about MFL, but I know Bob's in Salisbury has (or had) a Shield 9mm and has some Glocks. Don't recall if they had a Glock 26 or 27. It's been a while since I was there, I shot a G23 and their Shield.

This.. got a trigger job and night sights and love it now

that's what I did with mine...

had Lou / BEC do a trigger job and put in Xs big dot night sights!

the Shield in 9mm is a fantastic pistol !!!

the .40 version had just a little too much kick for practicing... Carry in the 40 + some target would be okay.... But in 9mm it's a sweet shooter... Put we'll over 1000 through mine, all different brands and it eats everything !!!

that's what I did with mine...

had Lou / BEC do a trigger job and put in Xs big dot night sights!

the Shield in 9mm is a fantastic pistol !!!

the .40 version had just a little too much kick for practicing... Carry in the 40 + some target would be okay.... But in 9mm it's a sweet shooter... Put we'll over 1000 through mine, all different brands and it eats everything !!!

nice, I went with Greg Derr he does great work, and the ameriglo pro I dots.

ive shot my fathers 40c. I d like to try the 40 shield, a co worker has had one from when they first came out and only has 100 rounds threw, he says he doesn't enjoy shooting it (stock trigger to) but id like to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom