Buying ammo at Walmart

Its worth remembering that a lot of the folks working at Wally World, even if they have "the keys" are not shooters. They don't know the reason they're prompted excempt that they get an earful from management if they get caught not following them.
So far, only one guy ever gave me the handgun question but its been a while since I saw 21. Usually, i get asked for the LTC once before opening the cabinet and that's it.

It's also worth noting that I run into considerably less BS buying ammo at NH walmarts. I still get "carded" but it's never some long drawn out process to get ammo. Unless there is a line at the sporting goods counter, it's never taken me more than 5 minutes to buy ammo at an NH walmart.

-Mike

Asking for the LTC/FID before opening the ammo cabinet makes sense. No reason to take anything out that someone can't buy. It is a practice I taught everyone I trained. Same thing with the sale of knives or other age restricted items. ID comes first. Handgun question, although pointless to me, is for those who are under 21 and say "yes" that the ammo is for a handgun. Answer yes and under 21 no sale. In the past if I was handed an LTC I didn't ask if it's for a handgun. I very rarely had a customer give me a FID.
The most trouble I've ever had with LTCs/FIDs was from law enforcement. I've had quite a few tell me that their badge should be enough. Not sure if it was a test but after I informed them of this states great firearms laws they always ended up showing me their LTCs. I once had a guy try to show me his boarder patrol agent ID. I also enjoyed the times guys came in with expired licenses and told me the chief said to tell me it was ok to sell to them because their license was on it's way. I wasn't about to stake my employment on someones word.

I have noticed this happening at all walmarts, but the few cashiers who know the difference, just enter the info without asking you. I had a cashier once argue with me about Winchester PDX 12 ga rounds. When I told her its not for a handgun, she argued if it says self defense, it must be a handgun round..... :(

I was up in Salem NH last week, spur of the moment stopped by the local WM to grab some ammo… Just bought a 9mm carbine, so I wanted to stock up on ammo for it, first 9mm in my cabinet so I didn't have any…

Anyway, bought 6 boxes of 50… When he asked after every box "What is this for?" I alternated "Handgun, rifle, handgun, rifle, handgun, rifle…" He diligently made the appropriate entry… And nary a twitch when I asked for separate bags so I could keep the handgun and rifle ammo straight...

I also enjoyed the times guys came in with expired licenses and told me the chief said to tell me it was ok to sell to them because their license was on it's way. I wasn't about to stake my employment on someones word.

This is actually true, provided that the person (a) has not had their LTC revoked, (b) applied prior to expiration, and (c) has not yet been notified of a denial.

But, given the difficulty of proving that a, b and c have all been met, the grace period is functionally useless for purchases.

I got the question a few weeks ago in Rindge wallyworld for the first time. Was a little surprised but whatever. They usually get the ammo out for me and check the ltc when ringing out but then again they know my face by now...lol.

I got the handgun question yesterday when buying some Federal .22lr in Attelboro ... I looked at the box and said they were for long rifles. At any rate the place was a zoo as usual but I was in and out in 5 mins. I also grabbed some Rem 223 Federal value packs, hopefully it's decent for range practice. I really need to start loading/reloading... 0.39 for factory load is lame.

I went to the same Walmart yesterday and it seams as if the cashier I got was smart enough to just push the button and not ask what they were for. I was in and out in 5 mins. 100rds 38special, 50 .357, 500 .22lr, 100 9mm. I like the new Walmart. Great ammo selection now, at least in common calibers. But hey its Walmart you have to take what you can get.

My first Wal-Mart ammo purchase was the best. Everything was behind the counter so I couldn't see everything. I asked if they had any 22's. These I could see barely. He said "no we don't." So I said what about that box over there? "Oh those are Long Rifle, you don't want those." So I asked to see them anyways and just said I'll take it along with the other box. He then looked at mt ID every time the register asked him to. It was pretty funny. Like the date on my license was going to run right off the ID and across the counter.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.<Einstein> [rofl]

There's one guy in Wareham that's on top of his game, asks the handgun question but it doesn't bother me, that's part of his job.

It's not always gravy though, sometimes it takes 20 minutes to find someone with a key. Once when I went to get my sportsman license they wouldn't take my Hunter's Education certification card because it didn't look like the new certificates and refused to look it up in their documentation. Had 3 employees standing there blankly thumbing through their blue books calling repeatedly for a manager who never showed. I came across said manager on the way out and he just looked at me dumbfounded when I told him what happened. [thinking]

Good thing the prices are so low, 'cause the service is usually sub par!

Back
Top Bottom