Buying an AR 15 from non LTC holder

kiver

NES Member
Can I purchase a Pre ban AR 15 from someone who’s father just passed away? The person is ready to sell his lot to a gun store for way under the value because he does not have a LTC

Basically a guys dad died and he had about 12 really cool historical pieces. All are C&R eligible. I would love to pick up the lot without dishing out a lot of $ in transfer fees

Can I purchase a Pre ban AR 15 from someone who’s father just passed away? The person is ready to sell his lot to a gun store for way under the value because he does not have a LTC
In general, no as dealers in MA are prohibited from transferring any ARs that weren't made on/before 9/13/1994 per the AG's diarrhea of the mouth edict. Dealers will likely give him almost nothing for ARs/AKs that the AG has deemed "banned".

Basically a guys dad died and he had about 12 really cool historical pieces. All are C&R eligible. I would love to pick up the lot without dishing out a lot of $ in transfer fees
This changes things. A C&R FFL can indeed buy guns from ANYONE, ANYWHERE if the guns (by S/N) are C&R qualified. If you do this, do the BB and eFA-10 as registration with NO info on the source of the guns.

Len, He would still have to do a EFA-10 transfer with the seller if it's here in MA ?

Yea C&R still has to efa-10 you just do it without sellers info like Len said.
No what I am saying is that if kiver was buying the guns from the guy in MA. He would have to do an EFA-10 with the seller. or take them to an FFL.

No what I am saying is that if kiver was buying the guns from the guy in MA. He would have to do an EFA-10 with the seller. or take them to an FFL.
He has to efa-10 them but nothing to do with the seller, he can just record them in his C&R bound book and then efa-10 without the sellers info. The guns are C&R and he has his C&R FFL so he doesn't need to involve another FFL he can transfer them into his bound book on his own.

I hope the estate has already been settled and he's not just selling them because they're cool historical pieces (translation - worth $$$).

Nope. Since the guy is unlicensed in MA, just do it as a C&R and eFA-10 registration. No need to make it more complicated than that.

Len, I have a C&R And am to lazy to look it up ,but are any Colt ARs listed by serial number in the C&R list. I thought there was some super secret evil black rifle rule that kept them off.

Len, I have a C&R And am to lazy to look it up ,but are any Colt ARs listed by serial number in the C&R list. I thought there was some super secret evil black rifle rule that kept them off.

Do a search, I listed the serial numbers here a month or two ago

Nope. Since the guy is unlicensed in MA, just do it as a C&R and eFA-10 registration. No need to make it more complicated than that.
Understanding that you are being expedient but not lawful. MA does not permit the transfer of guns between two private parties unless both have resident LTCs. The C&R is not recognized so both people are private parties and one does not have an LTC.

I assume the OP means pre 13-sep-1994 when he says pre-ban so pretty much any FFL will do the transfer for you. The only guns I cannot think of how to transfer are post 1998 off list revolvers and 1961-1998 off list revolvers that have no paperwork showing they were in the state pre 1998. Everything else is transferable with the help of a knowledgable FFL.

Understanding that you are being expedient but not lawful. MA does not permit the transfer of guns between two private parties unless both have resident LTCs.
The exception is an estate executor transferring the guns to an LTC or FID (as required) holder within 180 days even if said executor does not have a LTC/FID.

The exception is an estate executor transferring the guns to an LTC or FID (as required) holder within 180 days even if said executor does not have a LTC/FID.
180 days is irrelevant, read the actual law on inheritance. The law allows an unlicensed "personal representative" to hold and transfer the guns per the will or state law on intestate passing if no will.

These guns probably never have been FA-10'd before and the Commiewealth had little or no record of their ownership... Once known, they cannot be unknown.

These guns probably never have been FA-10'd before and the Commiewealth had little or no record of their ownership... Once known, they cannot be unknown.

Yes, that is what I would be concerned about. The C&R license is a federal thing, and only helps if buying a C&R gun from out of state. If you “register” a gun without a seller, but the gun is already in the MA database I imagine that could possibly eventually lead to uncomfortable questions. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but at any point in the future...

Understanding that you are being expedient but not lawful. MA does not permit the transfer of guns between two private parties unless both have resident LTCs. The C&R is not recognized so both people are private parties and one does not have an LTC.

I assume the OP means pre 13-sep-1994 when he says pre-ban so pretty much any FFL will do the transfer for you. The only guns I cannot think of how to transfer are post 1998 off list revolvers and 1961-1998 off list revolvers that have no paperwork showing they were in the state pre 1998. Everything else is transferable with the help of a knowledgable FFL.
If one is nervous about this, take the guns and current heir/personal representative up to anywhere in NH and do the transfer there FTF with the C&R FFL. Since a C&R allows transfer from anyone anywhere in the US, doing it outside MA is beyond the reach of MGLs (IANAL).

If one is nervous about this, take the guns and current heir/personal representative up to anywhere in NH and do the transfer there FTF with the C&R FFL. Since a C&R allows transfer from anyone anywhere in the US, doing it outside MA is beyond the reach of MGLs (IANAL).
Hmmm...two FUD (not Fudd) questions:
  1. Does Federal law permit the sale of a longarm to an out-of-stater who cannot legally possess it in (all of) their states of residence, if they intend to store it someplace else - not the state(s) of residence where they can't possess it? I.e., is there a "Bass Pro: sell me the Scary Black Rifle and I'll keep it in my friend's ski chalet" loophole? (I can believe that law might only apply for FFL-to-individual transfers; that's not the point). ((Note my use of the plural to account for Federal snowbird support)).
  2. How does the above law (or loophole) apply to individual/estate-to-C&R FFL transfers?
Just asking if you know offhand.
Not demanding you do the research that I obviously haven't done.

Back
Top Bottom