Buying land just for the sake of buying land?

No you can’t build a bridge. You may cross and operate machinery.
You are allowed to fulfill all obligations according to the terms outlined within the approved foresters plan. Any deviation from that requires the state foresters blessings.
Your cutter also has to be state approved. Joe Blow and Charlie Brown’s Tree and Landclearing can’t just show up and make it look like someone dropped a bomb.
Remember. The program is designed to enhance the woods and it’s value thru proven practice. It’s not a shortcut to do whatever the hell you want but the landowners input was asked by the forester and his plan should include as much of your wishes as possible before it was signed and approved by the state DCR office.

Yeah that’s a little closer to my understanding of it. I’m really on the fence about section 61...The areas that I would put under it will still be under shift MESA restrictions...But Mesa already told me you’re allowed to cut down a tree or moved down the tree it’s not like you can’t do anything out there. Yeah she can’t just log it out without seeking their permission. You’re allowed to clear so much for firewood and everything. But once we make a deal with them their pretty much just gonna leave us alone...Like they don’t want me contacting them and ask them if it’s OK for me to put up a tree stand or whatever.

They (the city)seem to think an actual engineering crossing is going to increase the amount of trespassing and ATVs. What not... All I do is let people cross it discourage me from just driving up and down the brook and churning it all up...All it takes is one a**h*** and then I’ve got a mess for a couple years

Yeah that’s a little closer to my understanding of it. I’m really on the fence about section 61...The areas that I would put under it will still be under shift MESA restrictions...But Mesa already told me you’re allowed to cut down a tree or moved down the tree it’s not like you can’t do anything out there. Yeah she can’t just log it out without seeking their permission. You’re allowed to clear so much for firewood and everything. But once we make a deal with them their pretty much just gonna leave us alone...Like they don’t want me contacting them and ask them if it’s OK for me to put up a tree stand or whatever.

They (the city)seem to think an actual engineering crossing is going to increase the amount of trespassing and ATVs. What not... All I do is let people cross it discourage me from just driving up and down the brook and churning it all up...All it takes is one a**h*** and then I’ve got a mess for a couple years
You can cut as much as you want for personal use. Again, within the cutting plan. You tell the forester that you want XX cords of firewood for your personal use over the 10 year term of the plan. You must remember that all work performed is to enhance the quality of woods overall so you are cutting the crap trees leaving the nice ones to grow and be healthy.
The 61 program is a good one only after you realize the benefits as well as the tax break. I've killed plenty of deer, made tree stands, maintained trails with a machine and even had a massive compost pile all within the 61 area. In fact we removed many 100's of feet of old stone walls with excavators and 10 wheelers then trucked them across town to a new project for new walls. I was doing that job over 30 years ago and it was then I was asked to work full time for the owner. I'm still here BTW!!
It's not for everyone but there are rock solid reasons to do it if long term ownership is the primary reason of land ownership.

I'm of the mind that I would never buy anything that I couldn't build a range on and fire guns on you should at least be able to get that use out of it....

That’s about the only thing I’m allowed to do it on my property. I’m just because it’s legal don’t make it smart. I’d say it causes more bullshit than it’s worth...But with limited places to shoot it’s nice to at least have the option.

I just find it odd that people think it’s unreasonable that I shoot five times a year on my property.

Especially with all the air traffic, machine gun fire, and IED trading at the base and blasting at the quarry...

Every time somebody farts in the city it’s my fault.

You can cut as much as you want for personal use. Again, within the cutting plan. You tell the forester that you want XX cords of firewood for your personal use over the 10 year term of the plan. You must remember that all work performed is to enhance the quality of woods overall so you are cutting the crap trees leaving the nice ones to grow and be healthy.
The 61 program is a good one only after you realize the benefits as well as the tax break. I've killed plenty of deer, made tree stands, maintained trails with a machine and even had a massive compost pile all within the 61 area. In fact we removed many 100's of feet of old stone walls with excavators and 10 wheelers then trucked them across town to a new project for new walls. I was doing that job over 30 years ago and it was then I was asked to work full time for the owner. I'm still here BTW!!
It's not for everyone but there are rock solid reasons to do it if long term ownership is the primary reason of land ownership.

I’m not a huge fan of regulation. But the last two times my land was logged out. Every tree they didn’t remove they just damage so badly. Would be pretty hard not to improve the area.

I also have no problem planting a tree for everyone I cut down.
The state Forester was a nice guy. The way he put it is once you file the plan it just sits in his desk drawer and that’s the end of it.

The one main wetland violation was a real kick in the sack. Cost a fortune to get to the point where I could just re-plant.I think it took us about six hours to replant the entire acre with about $7000 worth of plants. All the bullshit probably cost over 120,000

What was cut down with a bunch of garbage. What we replanted is so diverse and such improvement over what was there.

I’ll make a thread and post all the details as soon as I’m out of enforcement and these lawsuits end...

The only reason I’ll post it as a warning/ learning experience for everybody.

I had no idea what I was getting into

I’m not a huge fan of regulation. But the last two times my land was logged out. Every tree they didn’t remove they just damage so badly. Would be pretty hard not to improve the area.
They are bumper trees for skidding and they are supposed to die providing habitat for the birds and animals. They should have been shown on the plan as such.
Same idea as girdling some trees.

As for your other dilemma. I got one but won't discuss it.
Let's just leave it at Google Earth and a state DEP intern project were not our friends. You got out cheap at 120K. They were not kind to us in any way.

Why wouldn't someone put in a solar farm and power wall for half that cost?
Because it isn't half the cost. Sure if you want to live like you are in the outback, it will work.

But if you want to live a normal, power hungry life with 120 degree limitless hot water at good pressure a 72 deg house all summer and winter, it will cost you a fair chunk of change.

Then when the batteries stop holding a charge its another $50k.

FYI - you'd need 10 tesla power walls to support a normal home. The power wall is a brilliantly marketed immensely over priced energy storage system that in most cases (net metering) doesn't make sense.

Nick,
I had a 1/4 ac lot in Naples Me back in the early 80's. Paid $4500, borrowed the money from the Credit Union. A year later my landlord sold the house I was living in without giving me any notice. (Another story). Anyway, my new apt was double the rent so I couldn't afford to keep the land so I sold it. I broke even after 1 yr since I gave it to a broker to sell. I have not been there since but I'm sure that lot is worth about $50K right now if it doesn't already have a house on it. It also had deeded beach rights to an association with no fee and direct access to Sebago Lake.
My point.........If you have the money to invest in the land, DO IT! It's not a vehicle that depreciates every year. It's land someone is going to have to live on and it will appreciate.

I think there’s some loophole I missing with my land. Like I could level the whole place and put up a solar field or something else that’s exempt. I wouldn’t want to do it anyway but I’m definitely missing something

Didnt the arabs make more land by making islands iff the ciast if doo buy or something and didnt korea or the chinese build an airport in the water after building the land first?

28 acres in warren nh, with log cabin for auction
A friend looked at that once when it was listed a crazy price around $350K. Did not sell. Property tax about $4K per year, which probably means most of the property is in current use.

Anyone own land just to own land? With no intent on using it anytime in the near future? Looking around the country, there is some cheap land. I know it's cheap for a reason. Water/resources/proximity to things.

But the prices are tempting.
Invest it, buy Bitcoin and Etherium and live like a king in 20 yrs...lol.

But definitely invest it.

Didnt the arabs make more land by making islands iff the ciast if doo buy or something and didnt korea or the chinese build an airport in the water after building the land first?
So did Boston..

Close to Mt. Moosilauke, the Warren rocket, and the AT. Awesome!
i have been watching real estate auctions recently.
my general observation is that more than half of them never happen. i think people wait until the bank is serious, then show up at the last minute with a wad of cash and work things out with the bank.

Back
Top Bottom