• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R Question...

If you owned a C&R firearm prior to getting the license, do not enter it. If you sell/trade it, then it has to be entered. NON C&R's are never entered in the book. Anything C&R you aquire or lose posession of must be entered.

Short answer...all c&r transactions you make after being licensed have to be recorded, any c&r's that you already have before being licensed only have to be recorded as a disposition if you sell or trade one.

NON C&R's never are entered in the book

Hmm..now that's a good question. I keep 2 bound books,one for my c&r's and one for everything else. Is there any regulation that states that you can't keep both in one book? Seems to me that as long as a c&r is recorded in the same book, that should keep the BATF happy.

I think that you'd be cluttering the book up. If the regs say the C&R must be logged, only log the C&R. If you got audited, the inspector may think "unable to follow simple directions".

I was just wondering, and that's what I thought. I know that 01 FFLs have to record everything. But I saw on another thread something about their boundbooks.

But then, I was thinking, that I don't keep everything in my book...and I was hoping that I didn't have to do that.

I feel better.

C&R buys and sells are the only ones kept in the log book. Do not put anything else in the log book. BATF rules. When I first got my C&R, I had a question about the log, so I called them. One of the things I asked was could I keep other things in the log book along with the C&R purchases. The answer was "No."

I was thinking about getting my C&R, but I'm probably going to be moving in less than a year. Is it going to be a major hassle to change the info on the license after I move, and would I be better off just waiting until I move to get it? I'm going to be moving from NH to RI (I don't know if that makes a difference).

You have to put in a change request and can't use the C&R FFL (after moving) until you get the new one back with the new address.

Not a major hassle, especially if you order parts from someplace like Brownells or Midway . . . you'll save much more than the $30/3 year cost in one order.

LenS said:
You have to put in a change request and can't use the C&R FFL (after moving) until you get the new one back with the new address.

Not a major hassle, especially if you order parts from someplace like Brownells or Midway . . . you'll save much more than the $30/3 year cost in one order.

I wasn't worried about getting it being a hassle, I was worried about changing the address being a hassle. I'll probably just wait until I move.

dwarven1 said:
Is there a particular sort of book we have to use? Or would any bound blank-page book do?
No. You don't even need a "bound book". You can use loose leaf pages as long as they are in an orderly arrangement.

Jon is right . . . I actually created my own from an Excel spreadsheet format that someone on the C&R FFL eList did up.

However, I did buy the BB from Brownells with an order, it was something like $3.00 and I'll eventually start using it (inclined to enter all past acquisitions and staple the sheets to the front of the BB). Just need the motivation and dedicated time to do the task.

JonJ said:
dwarven1 said:
Is there a particular sort of book we have to use? Or would any bound blank-page book do?
No. You don't even need a "bound book". You can use loose leaf pages as long as they are in an orderly arrangement.

I've got mine in a 1 inch 3 ring binder. It's more the info they want than what you've got it in.

Nickle said:
And one plus of a C&R is the ability to buy ammo and have it shipped. Some places won't do business without you having a license, and they accept C&R licenses.
Unless you live in the Borg Collective of Massachusetts.

Jon, I'll stand by my post, though, I'll admit that having a Mass address reduces the number of ammo sellers that will ship to you.

I know a couple of them that will ship to C&R's in Mass.

I know Nick, I didn't mean it sound like I was bashing your post. Just the usual frustration [evil]

JonJ said:
I know Nick, I didn't mean it sound like I was bashing your post. Just the usual frustration [evil]

I knew you weren't, and you are probably correct, I'm sure certain companies won't ship ammo to Mass at all.

I just didn't want people to think that "certain" companies won't. You know who I'm talking about. They will ship to Mass C&R's, and make odd caliber ammo.

Do I have to have a Mass. hunting license to get a C&R license?

I'm applying for the C&R for the first time and question 10C. asks "Are you in possession of a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States?"

It also states "If you answer 'NO' you can not lawfully possess a firearm and therefore cannot be a federal firearms licensee."

The definitions sections reiterates, "A license or permit issued by a State for hunting which is valid and unexpired."

I have a Mass. Class A LTC but not a hunting license. If I do need a hunting license do I have to take a hunting safety course too or does the course for my LTC cover me?

So many laws, so many questions.

Thanks in advance!

I'm applying for the C&R for the first time and question 10C. asks "Are you in possession of a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States?"

It also states "If you answer 'NO' you can not lawfully possess a firearm and therefore cannot be a federal firearms licensee."

The definitions sections reiterates, "A license or permit issued by a State for hunting which is valid and unexpired."

I have a Mass. Class A LTC but not a hunting license. If I do need a hunting license do I have to take a hunting safety course too or does the course for my LTC cover me?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

I looked at the application again and that question is only for aliens (as in non-citizens). That only makes it more confusing but it doesn’t apply to me so forget I even asked.

Sorry for the confusion.

Carry on.

I looked at the application again and that question is only for aliens (as in non-citizens). That only makes it more confusing but it doesn’t apply to me so forget I even asked.

Sorry for the confusion.

Carry on.

Sorry for the confusion.

Carry on.

I am waiting for the packet for mine. I am just waiting to contact the NY office of the BATF to see if I need to have an interview. The jury is out on that, I have heard yay and nay on that. It kind of sucks though, in NY. Only good on long guns. I can not get a C and R handgun in NY, they still need to go through 01 FFL and be on a pistol license.

Back
Top Bottom