C&R record keeping

Sorry, I bet this is answered somewhere but I cant spend forever searching through the C&R sticky thread.

I think I know the answer but I was just hoping someone would verify. In regards to recording acquisitions/dispositions as a C&R FFL, for some reason I had it in my mind that a drivers license number is always required whether buying from / selling to a non-licensee. Re-reading CFR 478.125, it seems only name/address is required to record an acquisition. Only when selling a C&R firearm to a non-licensee (private individual) is identification by DL# required.

(f) Firearms receipt and disposition by licensed collectors. (1) Each licensed collector shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms curios or relics. The record required by this paragraph shall be maintained in bound form under the format prescribed below. The purchase or other acquisition of a curio or relic shall, except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, be recorded not later than the close of the next business day following the date of such purchase or other acquisition. The record shall show the date of receipt, the name and address or the name and license number of the person from whom received, the name of the manufacturer and importer (if any), the model, serial number, type, and the caliber or gauge of the firearm curio or relic. The sale or other disposition of a curio or relic shall be recorded by the licensed collector not later than 7 days following the date of such transaction. When such disposition is made to a licensee, the commercial record of the transaction shall be retained, until the transaction is recorded, separate from other commercial documents maintained by the licensee, and be readily available for inspection. The record shall show the date of the sale or other disposition of each firearm curio or relic, the name and address of the person to whom the firearm curio or relic is transferred, or the name and license number of the person to whom transferred if such person is a licensee, and the date of birth of the transferee if other than a licensee. In addition, the licensee shall cause the transferee, if other than a licensee, to be identified in any manner customarily used in commercial transactions (e.g., a driver's license), and note on the record the method used.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Go to amazon.com and search for FFL bound book. You should find something to suit your needs.

Go to amazon.com and search for FFL bound book. You should find something to suit your needs.

Absolutely get a bound book if we are collecting with C&R license....

Two non-answers to the question that was asked.

Yes, you must identify the transferee, and note the method used. It doesn't have to be a DL; it could be a passport, or it could be a a combination of other identifying documents, the same as any FFL could use (photo ID plus utility bills or lease, voter registration, etc.).

As a type 03, you can transfer to non-residents, but the transfer must take place at your licensed premises (dealers have a waiver for gun shows, but crufflers don't).

So are you saying I can't travel to another state and buy a C&R pistol? Or for that matter sell a C&R pistol to another C&R holder in a different state and not a resident of my home state?

I thought his answer was pretty clear, and no that's not at all what he said.

Go to ATF.gov and read, the answers to your questions are all there.

Two non-answers to the question that was asked.

Yes, you must identify the transferee, and note the method used. It doesn't have to be a DL; it could be a passport, or it could be a a combination of other identifying documents, the same as any FFL could use (photo ID plus utility bills or lease, voter registration, etc.).

As a type 03, you can transfer to non-residents, but the transfer must take place at your licensed premises (dealers have a waiver for gun shows, but crufflers don't).

You also should click the link, C&R firearms may be acquired or sold at any location.

Back
Top Bottom