• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cabela's Ammo Thread (Availability, etc. )

<picture of metric shitton of 308 ammo>
I can't wait for the Cabelas to be built here in Ma., then maybe [STRIKE=we]I[/STRIKE] we unfortunate ones here can start buying it online and having it shipped to our homes.

Well, that's one way to make the trip worth it!

I doubt they will ship to residences in MA. If it's being shipped from outside the state, still potentially have to deal with the AG. At least you can have it shipped to store and not have to drive 1.5 hours to get it?

Once they have a presence in the state(Berlin, Mass., the store is expected to open spring 2015) I'm thinking they'll be able to get away with it. Lets face it, all the politicians in this state really care about is stuffing the coffers.

As for the "metric shitton" [rofl]I'm considering going to an Appleseed shot to work on the fundamentals. I had read they said you should bring 1k rounds of the same ammo(hopefully the same run) to minimize variances in the way the bullets would fly. Lately(after ordering of course) I've been thinking 500 rounds a day with .308 is going to kick the piss out of my shoulder. [hmmm]

Last edited:
East Hartford had plenty of rifle on the shelves - even bulk pack American Eagle 223 - same prices as online. Some Handgun stuff - very little 22LR.

Also had 5 10rd PMAGs on an endcap when I left at noon.

Went up to the Scarborough Cabelas today. Didn't see any 9mm, 22 LR, or 357 sig. Did see some 40 S&W, 44 special, 45 ACP, and a bunch of 38 super.

Last time I went to the conn cabelas there was no limit on anything other than .22 ammo. The same for the Scarborough location which I was at yesterday.

Most of the online stuff other than 22 doesn't have limits either, and subjects of MA can do store pickup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

No .22lr, tons of 5.56 but only PMC .223 was under 50 cents a round (9 for 20). No 9mm

They also had 600 round cases of herters 7.62x39, I forget the price though sorry

You can reload steel?

I always thought you couldn't do that.

I shot steel once. Wolf Military Classic .223 non corrosive. Shit was so dirty, It took me 3 days to clean my AR. Never again.

Yes, with exactly the same equipment with no changes. I even reload batches of mixed brass/steel for plinking. Steel doesn't last as long as brass though. 4-5 reloads is typical befor neck cracks start.

Went to Cabelas yesterday & they were restocking the shelves with 9mm 100 Remington boxes (no limit) going for $27. Lots of 40, 45 and a small amount of .22LR (100 round limit).

Last edited:
I stopped in to the Cabela's in East Hartford yesterday (Monday, Sep. 16), and was pleasantly surprised at the large amount of ammo in-stock.

I've been looking for quality hunting ammo, and haven't seen Hornady .223 in-stock in any MA store since pre-Newtown.

They had dozens of boxes of ZombieMax and V-Max Varmint express (same thing with different color polymer tip), and just about everything that Remington, Winchester, etc. sells.

Get there before the ridiculous new CT laws take effect 10/1!

BTW - I bought ammo in PA and CT in the last few days, and it was just sitting there on the shelf & you could help yourself. I was never asked for ID at Dick's in Hanover, PA, nor at the Cabela's. It's amazing anyone makes it out of free states' stores alive. /sarc

Just got this from Cabelas in my Email - seems like the place to drop it:

Dear Valued Customer,

This is regarding your order for ammunition and/or ammunition magazines. As you know, on April 4, 2013, Connecticut Public Act 13-220 was signed into law. A key provision of this law takes effect on
October 1, 2013. This law requires a Connecticut purchaser of ammunition or an ammunition magazine to hold and present a valid ID and Connecticut credential prior to acquiring ammunition or an ammunition magazine.

To comply with this new law, Cabela’s will restrict the online sale and delivery of magazines and ammunition into Connecticut beginning September 19, 2013. We apologize for any inconvenience, but this allows current orders to be delivered within the October 1st deadline, and ensures no orders are delivered without compliance with the ID and credential requirement. We want to make this process as simple and easy as possible and prevent any disruption in serving you. Please proceed with the following steps to receive your backorder and to continue purchasing magazines and ammunition on and after October 1, 2013:

(1) You must hold at least one of the following valid Connecticut permits/certificates:

•permit to carry a pistol or revolver
•long gun eligibility certificate
•ammunition certificate
The following are also permissible, but less common, Connecticut credentials:
•eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver
•permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver

NOTE: To secure one of the above items, please visit the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) website for instructions as well as the necessary forms to apply: despp: Firearms

(2) You must present one of the above listed credentials to Cabela’s, along with a copy of your valid government-issued photo ID (i.e. valid driver’s license or passport) which contains your photo and date of birth.

NOTE: Cabela’s will not proceed with your purchase unless the address on your valid government issued ID matches the address on your valid Connecticut purchase credential. Additionally, this matching address is the only location we can ship your order to in Connecticut. Cabela’s will keep a copy of your ID and purchase credential on file, in a secure and confidential location, to better assist you with future purchases. However, we can only proceed with subsequent orders at your request and if the ID and credentials are still valid (i.e. the dates have not expired or your right to the credential hasn’t fundamentally changed).

To present your ID and credential please email a clear photocopy of BOTH documents to
[email protected], fax a copy to 1-888-252-3989 or mail to: Cabela’s Inc., ATTN: CRD Gun Department, One Cabela Drive, Sidney, NE 69160 and we will update your account. In the event we do not have the permit/certificate/photo ID on file by November 1, 2013 your current order will be canceled so please take action as soon as you can. If you have questions please call 1-800-237-4444 and ask for extension 132,
Sun 11:00 am – 9:00 pm (ET), Mon – Fri 8:00 am – 10:00 pm (ET), Sat 10:00 am – 6:00 pm (ET).

We sincerely appreciate your business and want to make this process as easy as possible for you.

Customer Service
Cabela’s

I'll be shopping in Maine from now on, no more Tax money on sales for CT from me - and they got alot from me at that store.

Back
Top Bottom