• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cabelas becoming Dicks?

I haven't bought anything from Cabela's in 25 years and not particularly interested in breaking that trend.

Even if I have to pay a little more,I will always buy from the Mom & Pop stores.
In the end they will take care of you.
This a million times. I still live in mass but will live in Montana in little over a month. I wanted to purchase fly fishing pack for my daughter. I could get it anywhere. I called the local shop in Montana and bought it there. They are holding it for me until we get out there. Happy to even pay a little extra.

They run small anyway...like all the clothes do nowadays...WTF...I'm wearing XXL's with my Gore Tex, Extreme gloves. My wife's hands can barely fit into a Large size Cabelas glove.

Much like anything Under Armor....gotta wear at least a size bigger.

Thats where I love American Clothing stores like Dan's.......a Large is a Large, not built for some 5 foot Asian skinny dude.
Under Armor is mostly made to have an Athletic fit. Fat people wearing under armor look funny. Sorry, it is just the way it is and I find it funny when people complain about them.

The UA fit is great, it is one of the few companies that does a good job for people that are in shape.

Also, for UA, are you sure you are not trying compression shirts by mistake?

As far as Cabelas running small, I wouldn't know, since their clothing is trash, it doesn't even look good...but, did you consider that maybe you gained weight?

Wife and I visited the Cabela's in Lexington, KY last week, while we down there visiting. The store is much smaller than the Scarborough, Me. Store and the Hooksett Bass Pro. Their fishing supplies were in relation to what is fished in that area, Panfish. I did find a couple of lures that I was looking for up here, and some streamer hooks that I haven't found up here as well. The inventory of Shooting supplies was what we have seen every where else.

KTP may be a bit touristy but I have bought a few lightly used guns and optics from them at a nice bargain long before the mad rush to get into firearms. My hunting gear was purchased from them before the internet became king and U Tube made people experts.

Show me one other store within reasonable distance to actually see and touch such a wide range of outdoor products.
Wheres the new BIG store opening that promotes hunting and shooting and is not PC .......waiting.

Under Armor is mostly made to have an Athletic fit. Fat people wearing under armor look funny. Sorry, it is just the way it is and I find it funny when people complain about them.

The UA fit is great, it is one of the few companies that does a good job for people that are in shape.

Also, for UA, are you sure you are not trying compression shirts by mistake?

As far as Cabelas running small, I wouldn't know, since their clothing is trash, it doesn't even look good...but, did you consider that maybe you gained weight?
Clothes are never going to be sized correctly in mass production. If so I would not have shirts in a few sizes, along with shoes. Depending on manufacture and style i can be a 8 - 9.5

KTP happens to not be a chain store so it is a family owned store.
I can’t think of any of my sporting equipment that has come from a chain store. Not a single damn thing.
I also don’t buy ammo from chains unless absolutely no other options. Example is .410 rounds. Was unable to find it a few years ago so had no other option than Dicks before they are what they eat.
Would I step foot in there today? NFW.
I would still stop at Cabellas if I had to but I don’t have to nor do I need anything right now so I’m safe.

Wheres the new BIG store opening that promotes hunting and shooting and is not PC .......waiting.
You may be waiting for a while. I have a few great local options for me like Northwoods Outfitters and Indian Hill Trading Post. There was also a great local fly shop available but he just guides now if at all. Bought my first rod and reel from him.

BPS buying out Cabelas wasn't some conspurrusurr. It wasn't to reduce hunting access to gun-toting Americans.

It was eliminating competition, plain and simple. Both stores have expanded SIGNIFICANTLY in the last decade or two. They run up against each other in too many markets. Saturation is at hand. Having BPS buy out Cabela's ensures that the combined stores will survive in the future.

Honestly, with your local gun store, gun shows and Amazon, do you really need a hunting store???? BPS is about a lot more than that. Boating, for one. It's a HUGE boat retailer. HUGE.

I foresee BPS rebranding the Cabela's stores as BPS within the next 5 years and making the Cabela's name just a clothing line or something. Maybe have a higher-tier level of clothes and other items branded as Cabela's.

To be fair: This was the best alternative for the consumer. Otherwise there would have been a war which would have taken a toll on both companies and possibly closed them both down in a battle to open more and more lower-and-lower profit stores. They'd have pulled a Sears/JCPenney move.

Does it stink that they are moving away from hunting and shooting? I guess. I never really bought a lot of shooting or hunting stuff from Cabellerz back in the non-local-store days. It's a nice store up there on 495. I've never thought of BPS-type store to be my go-to gun-buying store anyhow. I'd rather patronize the local guy for that. Because of issues like this.

Bottom line: I'm not surprised. If you look at this like a business (which it is - not our personal playground), this is a natural progression.

EDIT: As far as her reasons - I can see HUGE reasons why BPS/Cabela's doesn't really want African hunt pix up right now. Yeah yeah yeah, bleep the PC police. But it isn't just them. The majority of "regular" people are pretty much against it. Time to just lay low until the next Harambe or something. Glocks out for Harambe!
Agree its a business decision but let's face it- the goal was for the next generation to grab cash and for BPS to consolidate the market. If you can call incremental growth survival or a win, BPS will get that. However, eventually the sum will be much less than the original parts and the former Cabela's customer will lose an option. BPS doesn't get or doesn't care about Cabelas' customer base and is discarding what differentiated Cabelas.

People need to consider that the vast flyover country, a major market for Cabelas, will take a dim view of BPS decisions to go PC / woke.

I also don’t buy ammo from chains unless absolutely no other options. Example is .410 rounds. Was unable to find it a few years ago so had no other option than Dicks before they are what they eat.
Would I step foot in there today? NFW.
Dick's at Pheasant Lane Mall can be a convenient place to park and enter.
It increases foot traffic without increasing store revenue -
sure to be a worrisome trend for management.

Also, when carrying concealed,
it's peak passive-aggressive
to enter a Gun-Free Zone mall
via an anti-gun big box retailer.

If you do it right, you get a thrill in your leg.
Try it and see.

with Precision Point, Four Seasons, Collectors Gallery and NES classifieds I have no need to patronize the corporate hosemasters.

Dick's at Pheasant Lane Mall can be a convenient place to park and enter.
It increases foot traffic without increasing store revenue -
sure to be a worrisome trend for management.

Also, when carrying concealed,
it's peak passive-aggressive
to enter a Gun-Free Zone mall
via an anti-gun big box retailer.

If you do it right, you get a thrill in your leg.
Try it and see.
I call it getting a semi walking thru and keep walking.
GFZ my f***ing ass.

Your ALL wrong as to what drove the Cabela's sell out. It was caused by vulture capitalism and Elliot Management specifically. They FORCED Cabela's to put themselves up for sale...

Look into it...
cabelas was a public company listed on the nyse, my guess is elliot offered more for the stock than it was valued on the ny exch and the stock holders sold.

61142284.jpg

Back
Top Bottom