• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cabela's

I was there Monday for the first time. Bought some brass and some 45-70 Goverment for a new lever that is comming my way. Nicer than Bass Pro. Good reloading section. Plenty of powder.

Coupon came in handy.

They didn't count my boxes and I bought a bunch of .22, primers, & powder that exceeded the limit you said above.

I still need Varget though, they were thin on powder.

Question for the Cabela's experts... We all know that Cabela's Berlin refuses to sell used handguns in MA out of fear that our nutty anti-2A AG lady will screw them over it somehow. My question is this: Will foreign Cabela's stores export used handguns to MA FFLs? Or is that forbidden also? Anyone tried it and been successful?

Question for the Cabela's experts... We all know that Cabela's Berlin refuses to sell used handguns in MA out of fear that our nutty anti-2A AG lady will screw them over it somehow. My question is this: Will foreign Cabela's stores export used handguns to MA FFLs? Or is that forbidden also? Anyone tried it and been successful?

I'll bet that I know the answer to this one, and it's not the answer you want to hear.

In reality I don't think that the big box stores will transfer any guns to an FFL in another state, their entire method of operation is retail, over the counter sales only (except mail order what they are convinced is 150% legal to do directly to customers).

It won't hurt to ask, but make sure that you ask a store manager and not a clerk so the answer shouldn't change on you when you try to do it.

I'll bet that I know the answer to this one, and it's not the answer you want to hear.

In reality I don't think that the big box stores will transfer any guns to an FFL in another state, their entire method of operation is retail, over the counter sales only (except mail order what they are convinced is 150% legal to do directly to customers).

It won't hurt to ask, but make sure that you ask a store manager and not a clerk so the answer shouldn't change on you when you try to do it.

That's not entirely correct Len. If you browse Gunbroker and the like, you will find listings of used guns being sold by various Cabela's stores across the country. They do ship those firearms to FFL's in other states. Syncing that policy up with a face-to-face transaction may be another matter entirely however.

That's not entirely correct Len. If you browse Gunbroker and the like, you will find listings of used guns being sold by various Cabela's stores across the country. They do ship those firearms to FFL's in other states. Syncing that policy up with a face-to-face transaction may be another matter entirely however.

Correct, at least for their "Gun Library" Guns.

Interesting, thanks. I was unaware of that as I don't cruise the online auction/gun sale sites.

Having personally spoken with the head of Cabela's legal department as well as their "licensing" lawyer who ensures local stores follow all the dumb state/local laws too, they are paranoid and I'm sure that they wouldn't ship to any MA FFL. But it won't hurt to ask a store manager in one of their foreign stores.

If you browse Gunbroker and the like, you will find listings of used guns being sold by various Cabela's stores across the country. They do ship those firearms to FFL's in other states. Syncing that policy up with a face-to-face transaction may be another matter entirely however.
Correct, at least for their "Gun Library" Guns.
Having personally spoken with the head of Cabela's legal department as well as their "licensing" lawyer who ensures local stores follow all the dumb state/local laws too, they are paranoid and I'm sure that they wouldn't ship to any MA FFL. But it won't hurt to ask a store manager in one of their foreign stores.
That's exactly the situation and the big question. There is a semi-rare used handgun in a foreign Cabela's "Gun Library" that I'd love to own. The gun is on the MA approved roster so that part isn't an issue. It's just a question of whether or not a foreign Cabela's store will export a used handgun into MA. I am already assuming that our local Cabela's store wouldn't want anything to do with it given their paranoia and policy against selling any used handguns at all within Massachusetts. But I see no reason or risk to the company by selling a used handgun from an out of state "Gun Library" to a MA resident if transferred through a MA FFL (someone other than Cabela's Berlin).

I just need to know if anyone has ever tried this before and been successful. I don't wish to be the first test case and to possibly get tied up in weird Cabela's corporate politics. [thinking]

That's exactly the situation and the big question. There is a semi-rare used handgun in a foreign Cabela's "Gun Library" that I'd love to own. The gun is on the MA approved roster so that part isn't an issue. It's just a question of whether or not a foreign Cabela's store will export a used handgun into MA. I am already assuming that our local Cabela's store wouldn't want anything to do with it given their paranoia and policy against selling any used handguns at all within Massachusetts. But I see no reason or risk to the company by selling a used handgun from an out of state "Gun Library" to a MA resident if transferred through a MA FFL (someone other than Cabela's Berlin).

I just need to know if anyone has ever tried this before and been successful. I don't wish to be the first test case and to possibly get tied up in weird Cabela's corporate politics. [thinking]

Step 1: Contact your FFL and get their approval to do the transfer.
Step 2: Have that FFL put approval in writing.
Step 3: Contact selling FFL and include written approval from your FFL.
Step 4: Purchase your handgun and complete transfer.
Step 5: Do the happy dance.

Step 1: Contact your FFL and get their approval to do the transfer.
Step 2: Have that FFL put approval in writing.
Step 3: Contact selling FFL and include written approval from your FFL.
Step 4: Purchase your handgun and complete transfer.
Step 5: Do the happy dance.
Local FFL is fully onboard with it and has been for a while. I e-mailed the foreign Cabela's store manager. Waiting now for a reply. If no reply soon, I'll give them a call.

I have bought a rifle in person with a C&R at the CT store
Cabela's doesn't appear to have any problem with used long guns. It's used handguns they fear greatly (within MA).

Local FFL is fully onboard with it and has been for a while. I e-mailed the foreign Cabela's store manager. Waiting now for a reply.

Here is the reply I received today:

Cabela's said:
Unfortunately, we cannot sell you or transfer the firearm per the restrictions given to us by the state of Massachusetts. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Donna Danner
Cabela’s Gun Library
100 Cabela Drive
Hamburg, PA 19526

Ask me if I am surprised by Cabela's fear and stupidity re: Massachusetts gun laws. [angry]

Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by their corporate fear but ... damn.
It's bizarre. I gotta say that except for ammo purchases (where I have made out very well thanks to Varmint), I am pretty much disgusted with our own MA Cabela's store and Cabela's (the company) in general. I won't say that they can EABOD... but that's only because I don't normally talk that way. [thinking]

It's bizarre. I gotta say that except for ammo purchases (where I have made out very well thanks to Varmint), I am pretty much disgusted with our own MA Cabela's store and Cabela's (the company) in general. I won't say that they can EABOD... but that's only because I don't normally talk that way. [thinking]

In the grand scheme of large corporate retailers, I put Cabela's on my good list. Hell, there are plenty of smaller FFL's with stupid transfer policies and imaginary laws they "adhere to". That Cabela's manages to carry powder, primers, bullets, plenty of reloading equipment, tons of ammo in any flavor I have ever needed, used long guns, new long guns in a number of flavors, new pistols, and most other equipment that I would want AND at lower retail prices than Dicks, BP, or most FFL's... I am a fan. I have also never had a negative CS experience and their staff have been refreshingly honest and well versed in the BS MA laws rather than spouting nonsense like we so often read about. Do they have short comings that are typical of a large retail chain? Yep: They are playing it exceedingly safe.

I have very few complaints about Cabela's and I would love to see more of their stores around.

+1, I've gotten killer ammo dealers but struggle to find anything else worth buying there, even with the discounted gift cards.

+1, I've gotten killer ammo dealers but struggle to find anything else worth buying there, even with the discounted gift cards.
Exactly. With coupons, price matching and/or discounted gift cards (thanks to your alerts!), I've done very well on ammo at Cabela's. Only disappointments have been when they were out of a sale item (fairly common) or for certain ammo that they don't carry in value packs (not so common).

It's the handguns where we've been sold out completely to the gun-grabbers. No used handguns whatsoever (what I principally collect) for MA residents and an assortment of new handguns that is modest and unexciting at best... crazy overpriced and poorly stocked at worst. And now, price matching on handguns has pretty much gone away too. Plus the checkout process is absolute madness.

With a sufficient "pre-Hillary" supply of ammo already in hand, I'm seriously thinking of selling off all my remaining Cabela's gift cards. There is not a single handgun at Cabela's that is worth me buying even with occasional sales prices and the 10-20% discounted gift cards. FSGuns and several others still come out cheaper.

Exactly. With coupons, price matching and/or discounted gift cards (thanks to your alerts!), I've done very well on ammo at Cabela's. Only disappointments have been when they were out of a sale item (fairly common) or for certain ammo that they don't carry in value packs (not so common).

It's the handguns where we've been sold out completely to the gun-grabbers. No used handguns whatsoever (what I principally collect) for MA residents and an assortment of new handguns that is modest and unexciting at best... crazy overpriced and poorly stocked at worst. And now, price matching on handguns has pretty much gone away too. Plus the checkout process is absolute madness.

With a sufficient "pre-Hillary" supply of ammo already in hand, I'm seriously thinking of selling off all my remaining Cabela's gift cards. There is not a single handgun at Cabela's that is worth me buying even with occasional sales prices and the 10-20% discounted gift cards. FSGuns and several others still come out cheaper.

Just use the cards to get more ammo. There is no such thing as "enough" ammo, unless you're at the warehouse + propane forklift level....

Their supply of reloading supplies is better than anything this side of the border. Primers for $28 when the best I can find online are $27.50? Yes please. I can't blame them for the powder, we all know why that is.

Ammo selection and in stock is excellent and prices are decent.

You guys know I like to bitch but I honestly have found little to bitch about Cabela's. I don't collect used handguns so don't care although I do wish they would get an Auto 12 in magnum and mark their light 12's appropriately. Is that a bitch?

Ok, with all of these questions about out-of-state Cabela's not shipping handguns to FFL and Mass, a few years ago the one in Delaware was supposedly willing to sell me a C&R handgun on my C&R license on the spot no problems. Is that a policy change or are you guys talking about non C&R guns for licensees

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just use the cards to get more ammo. There is no such thing as "enough" ammo, unless you're at the warehouse + propane forklift level....
No forklift truck yet... but much more and my storage room floor is going to collapse. [shocked]

Their supply of reloading supplies is better than anything this side of the border. Primers for $28 when the best I can find online are $27.50?
I gave up reloading decades ago so I can't speak to that. And as I've said, I've done quite well there with ammo thanks to Varmint. It's the handgun situation that disappoints and discourages me the most. That and their ridiculous and insulting firearms checkout process. Have you bought any guns there yet?

Ok, with all of these questions about out-of-state Cabela's not shipping handguns to FFL and Mass, a few years ago the one in Delaware was supposedly willing to sell me a C&R handgun on my C&R license on the spot no problems. Is that a policy change or are you guys talking about non C&R guns for licensees.
I'm talking about modern handguns, not C&R's. Cabela's won't sell used handguns to a MA resident... period. They are absolutely terrified of MA law and our nutcase AG. The other half of my bitch is the piss-poor selection of new handguns they are allowed by corporate to sell at their Berlin store. It's a joke (as are the sky-high prices). The staff apologizes for it but says there is nothing they can do. They keep urging customers to write to corporate and complain. Well, sorry but I have better things to do with my time. [thinking]

I'm talking about modern handguns, not C&R's. Cabela's won't sell used handguns to a MA resident... period. They are absolutely terrified of MA law and our nutcase AG. The other half of my bitch is the piss-poor selection of new handguns they are allowed by corporate to sell at their Berlin store. It's a joke (as are the sky-high prices). The staff apologizes for it but says there is nothing they can do. They keep urging customers to write to corporate and complain. Well, sorry but I have better things to do with my time. [thinking]

Pointless to complain to corporate as I had both phone and Email conversations with their top legal beagles before the store opened. Totally paranoid and would not listen to reason (i.e. ship to store for showing LTC and pickup).

I can guarantee you that if Cabela's in MA still exists in 2021 when the exemption for C&R guns to C&R FFL holders becomes the law, Cabela's will still refuse all C&R handgun sales into MA!!!

Pointless to complain to corporate as I had both phone and Email conversations with their top legal beagles before the store opened. Totally paranoid and would not listen to reason (i.e. ship to store for showing LTC and pickup).

I can guarantee you that if Cabela's in MA still exists in 2021 when the exemption for C&R guns to C&R FFL holders becomes the law, Cabela's will still refuse all C&R handgun sales into MA!!!

I was recently at the Scarborough store and found a decently priced SKS in good condition. Manager of the Gun Library takes my MA DL and LTC to the back office and returns about 10 minutes later to tell me that corporate will not allow him to sell me the SKS. "There's too much confusion about MA law and whether an SKS is legal there." Realizing I would never get anywhere with that argument, I asked if we could transfer it to a MA FFL in order to take Cabela's off the hook...Nope, can't do that either. I said, "Let's transfer it to a NH FFL, surely there can't be any problem with that." The response--no, corporate doesn't want any part of that rifle going to MA. I asked to speak with someone at Corporate and he gave me an 800 number, but I never called....I just bought a nice SKS for less money at a LGS.

Back
Top Bottom