Cabela's

I believe Len looked into it but I do not remember if he ever got a resolution to his inquiry.

Last edited:
Their legal dept said that they would look into the law and legal aspects of doing that and get back to me. They never did.

They jumped the shark and started requiring LTC/FID for anything in the gun department regardless if it was a controlled item or not, at least that is what others reported here. That is the exact opposite of the type of actions I was trying to get them to do, so I think we have their answer! [thinking]

Considering the fact that they have a license to sell ammo in MA now (even though thats not required to sell online in MA by law, martha just pretends it is), you'd think they could even start shipping directly to MA residents. Guess thats just a pipe dream though.

If this is how they were going to be why the hell did they even open here?

Price aside Bass Pro isn't bad to buy ammo. You pick out what you want off the shelf and show the license to the cashier on the way out the door. pretty simple. Guns i will only buy from a gun shop. If I have to pay a premium then so be it. I won't buy a gun from a chain store. The hire absolute idiots at those places.

Their legal dept said that they would look into the law and legal aspects of doing that and get back to me. They never did.

They jumped the shark and started requiring LTC/FID for anything in the gun department regardless if it was a controlled item or not, at least that is what others reported here. That is the exact opposite of the type of actions I was trying to get them to do, so I think we have their answer! [thinking]

Thanks for the reply Len.

Too bad - I really have no interest driving all the way to Berlin for a cheap deal on ammo if I can just roll the dice and drive to Walmart or Dick's and see if anything is kicking around, on sale or not.

Thanks for the reply Len.

Too bad - I really have no interest driving all the way to Berlin for a cheap deal on ammo if I can just roll the dice and drive to Walmart or Dick's and see if anything is kicking around, on sale or not.

Last trip that took me by that exit, I just kept on going to my destination.

Also their marketing manager was going to get back to me about perhaps running my MA Gun Law Seminar up there. Never heard a word back from him either. That was supposed to happen a week or two after they opened!

in the Ma. store the customer is more of an inconvenience(IMO) for the sales people.

+++ This comment. My exact experience. The store is 2 hours drive round trip from SE Mass where I live. I've made the trip twice thinking maybe it was just a bad day. It's confirmed in my mind that I will not return to Cabelas for this very reason. The store is badly managed and staffed with untrained and frankly rude clerks.

The gun counter put a trigger lock on a used uberti lever long gun. When I approached the counter to let them know of the ignorance, they argued with me saying it was safe. This along with the hordes of employees living it up in groups as customers wait for assistance, etc etc etc.

While Bass Pro isn't the best, Cabelas actually makes it look fantastic.

2 Emails and 1 phone call to the local manger, no response. Going on 8 weeks now. They simply don't care. Funny thing? I got a nice Cabelas hard cover catalog in the mail which will make a nice door stop.

YMMV

Was just there yesterday, ammo was plentiful even the .22. Ended up buying a shit load of reloading stuff minus powder as I am stocked up on H110 and paid for it. No issues and no ID was required. Bought ammo from there about a month ago and no one said a word, went to the register and paid for it, showed ID and that was it.

Two weeks ago I was told by a clerk it was against Mass law. I don't know the law so I can't say otherwise.
Maybe a local gun club could do a group buy for it's members?

Back when they were doing interviews to staff the Berlin store I applied. I was offered a job at their gun counter which I was exicited about until they told me it paid $11 per hour.
At that pay rate, I wouldn't expect to find much compitance behind the counter

Back when they were doing interviews to staff the Berlin store I applied. I was offered a job at their gun counter which I was exicited about until they told me it paid $11 per hour.
At that pay rate, I wouldn't expect to find much compitance behind the counter

Unless they offer decent benefits?

Was just there yesterday, ammo was plentiful even the .22. Ended up buying a shit load of reloading stuff minus powder as I am stocked up on H110 and paid for it. No issues and no ID was required. Bought ammo from there about a month ago and no one said a word, went to the register and paid for it, showed ID and that was it.

Five miles from my house. Stop in often and my experience like this each time. All I can say is the more people stay away the more ammo left for me! I have found staff trying to be helpful

If this is how they were going to be why the hell did they even open here?
A damn good question. This has got to be the worst Cabela's store (firearms-wise) in the entire chain. I had such high hopes, but Massachusetts lunacy, nuttiness & ignorance prevails. [thinking]

The gun counter put a trigger lock on a used uberti lever long gun. When I approached the counter to let them know of the ignorance, they argued with me saying it was safe.
Yep. Like I said, ignorance prevails. The whole time-consuming, multi-person, endless checks, cheapy plastic lock, tape the box shut, walk you out the door gun buying experience there is just plain nuts. Then I get home and find out stuff is missing from the damn box. Son of a B****!!! [angry]

While Bass Pro isn't the best, Cabelas actually makes it look fantastic.
True, although the handgun prices at Bass Pro are even higher. At least Cabela's runs an occasional semi-attractive sale price.

Haven't had a problem at the Berlin store. People were nice and helpful. It's not a LGS so if you go in expecting that experience this is the wrong place.

That is like going into Home Depot expecting to get a corner hardware store experience.

I was kind of referring to the fact that I can't do in-store pickup at Cabela's. Not whether or not a big box store sucks at customer service.

If the in-store pickup sucks, does it matter if its offered? That was my point.

If the in-store pickup sucks, does it matter if its offered? That was my point.

Yes, if what you're looking for isn't carried at your local store. In store pick-up isn't just for having someone gather the stuff for you, it's also for online orders. Circumvents shipping costs and/or getting non-stocked items. Not every store can stock everything they sell as some stuff are online only or regional specific. In cases like that, who cares if they take 6 hours... I sure don't.

Just came back from Cabela's in Berlin and had an interesting experience:

I wear a Fanny-Pack/Belly-Bag whatever you want to call it. I run around in sweatpants most of the time as I'm always getting into something nasty or the kids use my pants as a handy towel, anyhow, I'm walking into the store and get hit up by the 'greeter' (not sure if they call it that at Cabelas) and gestured at my bag and asked if I had any firearms.

I said no, what I was thinking was, perish the thought I would carry a firearm concealed (which means concealed) in Mass, never would I consider such a thing.

Anyway, just a heads up, I've been in and out of that store several times and haven't had that happen.

Well stocked on Ammo as usual, now a 1200ct limit on 22lr. Lots of CCI HP on the shelf (I took the last 900 RN) and at least 6 boxes @ 300ct CCI 22 Tactical.

I wear a Fanny-Pack/Belly-Bag whatever you want to call it. I run around in sweatpants most of the time as I'm always getting into something nasty or the kids use my pants as a handy towel, anyhow, I'm walking into the store and get hit up by the 'greeter' (not sure if they call it that at Cabelas) and gestured at my bag and asked if I had any firearms.

I said no, what I was thinking was, perish the thought I would carry a firearm concealed (which means concealed) in Mass, never would I consider such a thing.

Anyway, just a heads up, I've been in and out of that store several times and haven't had that happen.

Well stocked on Ammo as usual, now a 1200ct limit on 22lr. Lots of CCI HP on the shelf (I took the last 900 RN) and at least 6 boxes @ 300ct CCI 22 Tactical.

So what are they going to do if we say yes?

i assume you said "No, I'm just happy to see you."

I've been buying up the $50 Cabela's gift cards for $40 deals on Ebay, makes their ammo as cheap as going to Rileys, sometimes cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom