• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duncan vs. Becarra (CA magazine ban case) -- Judge is awesome

As was said before they invite illegal aliens buy the handful. That state can't break off and sink into the ocean fast enough.
always thought it'd be funny if the president would allow illegal, undocumented aliens into the country without having to be vetted....but they could only settle in california. if caught outside of cali they'd be deported back to their homeland for another try.

The following is unverified scuttlebutt.

I have read in the past on a couple of forums that back in the early eighties Massachusetts State Police would go to New Hampshire Liquor stores just across the border. It wasn't stated if they recorded people getting into cars with Massachusetts plates or if they just took down the plate number; in any case once someone crossed the state line they would be pulled over and their car searched or they would get a letter in the mail telling them to be sure to pay Massachusetts taxes for 'importing' the liquor from New Hampshire.

The way the story is told is that the Governor of New Hampshire told the Governor of Massachusetts that he was not pleased that this was happening and if it were to continue New Hampshire State Police officers would start arresting the Massachusetts State Police officers, whereupon Massachusetts stopped.

If anyone can cite a reference or source for this tale I would appreciate it.

... back in the early eighties Massachusetts State Police would go to New Hampshire Liquor stores ... the Governor of New Hampshire told the Governor of Massachusetts that he was not pleased that this was happening and if it were to continue New Hampshire State Police officers would start arresting the Massachusetts State Police officers, ...

Fake news.
NH didn't send Mass. an interoffice memo.
The Mass. state troopers were arrested, LOL.
P. S. Note that the Wikipedia article cites the New York Times.

Great! Thank you AHM. The link to the Wikipedia article is grand. I had never heard of the "Lobster War":

"He was also a strong proponent of state sovereignty. When Thomson learned Massachusetts tax agents were at New Hampshire liquor stores taking down the numbers on cars with Massachusetts license plates, he had them arrested.[7] When he learned that Maine had arrested a Portsmouth, New Hampshire lobsterman, in Maine waters, he began what was known as the "Lobster war."[8] The conflict ended in the US Supreme Court with the drawing of an ocean boundary between the two states at the mouth of the Piscataqua River.[9]"

“It seems like a setup,” Runfola said. “We need a national policy regarding guns. It is an unfortunate situation that I hope the government can rectify.”

We have a national policy. "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
With defense lawyers like that, who needs prosecutors.

It's surprising that they just don't lean. When you ban something you create a black market, this goes back to prohibition, and they keep doing it. You know what they say about doing the same thing and expecting different results.

“If you have surrounding states that have less restrictive gun laws, you are going to have importation,” said Steve Lindley, the former chief of the Justice Department’s Bureau of Firearms who is now a program manager for the gun control group Brady United. “If there is no enforcement going on, they can just come right across the border.”
They need a wall.

Tax-Free Liquor Lures Buyers, Stirring Crossborder Tensions

Mass & Maine have been doing it to NH Liquor buyers for decades
And vape products will be next.

So they have been spotted at the NH liquor stores, they have been spotted at the fireworks store, the way things are going soon they will be spotted in the parking lot of a NH gun shop.

Be careful out there………

They've been doing that shit for years, they case NV gun shows and make lists of CA plates and transmit it to CHP waiting on the CA side on the two or three typical highways that go into CA. I think the NV gun show promoters figure by coddling the communists they won't get sued or whatever, who knows.

It would be funny as hell to troll the shit out of them though, like buy a bunch of pmags, stop 50 (or so) yards short of the border and start juggling pmags while another guy comes out with an air horn and honks it at random odd intervals. And then wait until random pickup trucks drive by and throw a pmag into the back of them or something like that... then get back in your car and drive further back into nevada.

ETA: Even Better- Buy like a case of pmags, put them into your CA plated car. Before hitting the border, hand off the cases of mags to someone going the other
direction. Then when you get pulled over by CHP you can be like "this is going to be fun in court". [rofl]

-Mike

LOL, my first thought when reading the OP. Though I never put stickers of any type on my vehicles, I'd load up for the event. Bring a couple big shopping type bags and fill with some trash inside the show, maybe get a couple empty boxes large enough to look like gunz inside. Be sure to load in trunk in open view. Offer some jerky to frustrated po-po. That's round 1. Round 2 would involved driving to a rental car place, insist on renting a car with NV plates, then load up in a similar fashion at the show and transfer to personal vehicle for drive home.

Some updated information:

"Key Events & Filings:

2020-1-15: NOTICE of Change of Motion Hearing as to [16-1] MOTION to Dismiss for Lack of Jurisdiction Certain Claims in First Amended Complaint, [16-2] MOTION to Dismiss for Failure to State a Claim, [22-1] MOTION for Preliminary Injunction and Declaratory Relief: Motion Hearing reset for 2/6/2020 02:00 PM in Courtroom 5A before Judge Roger T. Benitez. Opposition briefs are to be filed no later than 1/23/2020. All reply briefs are to be filed no later than 1/30/2020. (no document attached) (gxr) (Entered: 01/15/2020)

2020-1-15: Minute Order issued by the Honorable Roger T. Benitez: DENYING 25 Motion to Stay Proceedings Pending Resolution of Related Appeals; DENYING 27 Ex Parte Motion to Stay re 16 Motion to Dismiss for Lack of Jurisdiction Certain Claims in First Amended Complaint Motion to Dismiss for Failure to State a Claim, 22 Motion for Preliminary Injunction and Declaratory Relief Pending Ruling on Defendants' Motion to Stay. (no document attached) (gxr) (Entered: 01/15/2020)"

more here:

1579233411044.png

The following is unverified scuttlebutt.

I have read in the past on a couple of forums that back in the early eighties Massachusetts State Police would go to New Hampshire Liquor stores just across the border. It wasn't stated if they recorded people getting into cars with Massachusetts plates or if they just took down the plate number; in any case once someone crossed the state line they would be pulled over and their car searched or they would get a letter in the mail telling them to be sure to pay Massachusetts taxes for 'importing' the liquor from New Hampshire.

The way the story is told is that the Governor of New Hampshire told the Governor of Massachusetts that he was not pleased that this was happening and if it were to continue New Hampshire State Police officers would start arresting the Massachusetts State Police officers, whereupon Massachusetts stopped.

If nothing else, there's this:

Back in the 1970s, Massachusetts and Connecticut sent officials to stake out liquor store parking lots. According to Tom Rath, who was attorney general at the time, this didn’t sit well with then-Gov. Mel Thompson. Rath says the governor ordered New Hampshire State Police to shoo away the tax collectors.

“It got pretty feisty, and Governor Thompson was never one to back away from an issue like that, so it was an interesting time,” Rath says.

Isn't the big shake way overdue? Or will all that over-pressure make it well worth the wait?

Last edited:
Hmmm.... buy P-mags, go to post office, mail P-mags to yourself in CA. Get back in car and drive over the border...
Just make sure that they are not following your car to the P.O. If so, then they'll just wait at your home (with a warrant) until the mail is delivered.
Same as MSP harrassing MA shoppers leaving NH liquor store customers. Same solution would work.
How did they harass them? If they were U/C and didn't interact with the shoppers...?
So it sounds like the show promoter is inviting them ? WTF ?
First order of business should be to drives that shitbird right out of business.
Second , as far as I know conducting operations in another state requires the permission of the state.
NH did in fact threaten to arrest at one point any MSP caught there doing this crap.
If the CA DOJ officers were U/C and didn't approach the buyers, I don't see how. Whether or not they are on the clock, they are only observing and reporting to other officers in CA, who are then in a jurisdiction where they can take action.

If nothing else, there's this:
My BIL mentioned CT investigators writing down the plate numbers of CT cars at NH liquor stores and then stopping them in CT.

Play the game! Go into the store and ask for liquor boxes (I have, for moving boxes). Load up the boxes into your car and drive home to MA/CT or wherever. Let the hilarity ensue!

Folks, If you see a vehicle with Vt., Conn, or Mass plates in or near a New Hampshire liquor store parking lot with a person just sitting there and not leaving for a while call the New Hampshire State Police and give them the license plate number. You can tell if they are cops, their looks, how they look around, You can almost smell them. I forgot to also include a Maine plate as well.

Last edited:
Just make sure that they are not following your car to the P.O. If so, then they'll just wait at your home (with a warrant) until the mail is delivered.

How did they harass them? If they were U/C and didn't interact with the shoppers...?

If the CA DOJ officers were U/C and didn't approach the buyers, I don't see how. Whether or not they are on the clock, they are only observing and reporting to other officers in CA, who are then in a jurisdiction where they can take action.

My BIL mentioned CT investigators writing down the plate numbers of CT cars at NH liquor stores and then stopping them in CT.

Play the game! Go into the store and ask for liquor boxes (I have, for moving boxes). Load up the boxes into your car and drive home to MA/CT or wherever. Let the hilarity ensue!

They would still be conducting operations outside their jurisdiction whether they make an actual arrest or not.

It's surprising that they just don't lean. When you ban something you create a black market, this goes back to prohibition, and they keep doing it. You know what they say about doing the same thing and expecting different results.
They know, it is all part of the plan.

1. Create more BS laws.
2. #1 creates a black market.
3. Because of #2, we need more police, more funding. This will also create more work for the courts, keeping them busy stealing from citizens and creating criminals that will become govt dependent.
4. Make excuses and use them to ask for more laws.
5. Repeat 1 through 4.

Their gun laws are working as intended. The end goal is to increase the size of govt.

Now-a-days they just drive through the parking lot with image-scanning plate readers and find anyone one with wants and warrants. Then pick them up when they toss a bag/box in the vehicle. That’s considered “fair game” in many cases, while drones are still a bit iffy...

Am I not allowed to buy booze in NH? What if it's MA compliant?
So long as you report your purchase to MA on your income tax return and pay the sales tax you robbed MA of when you bought that liquor in NH.
No, importing any liquor into MA is illegal even if you own it and are moving to MA. I found that law accidentally many years ago and vetted it with a former Mod here who owned liquor stores. It's largely not enforced however, but it is still on the books. Sorry, I don't have a cite for it.

Back
Top Bottom