• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California Compliant

I'm looking at buying a low priced revolver.
There are a bunch of sellers for this specific brand/model but one seller that has several of the same revolvers (at a better price) are listing them as California Compliant.

My question is are these revolvers different in any way for them to be compliant or are revolvers in general compliant and the seller is just throwing that in?
I live in Maine so it's not needed in my case, but if its neutered I don't want it.

RC

I'm looking at buying a low priced revolver.
There are a bunch of sellers for this specific brand/model but one seller that has several of the same revolvers (at a better price) are listing them as California Compliant.

My question is are these revolvers different in any way for them to be compliant or are revolvers in general compliant and the seller is just throwing that in?
I live in Maine so it's not needed in my case, but if its neutered I don't want it.
When it comes to revolvers all CA compliant means is that they've paid for testing and certification at a lab to meet the drop safety/trigger pull weight standards CA has. The only non-desirable thing you might run across is a heavier trigger spring, but that's not usually the case.

I didn't want to mention the product because I wanted people to focus on the question and not go on for pages and pages on what I'm looking on purchasing, like people do here.

Thanks for an answer Waher. That has to be it.

RC

It is very difficult to make a revolver different for other States. Maybe the CA compliant means it has a transfer bar, but besides that, I am not sure what the difference could be.

Just Google it. Or buy the revolver from a different dealer.

Sadly, this is a "bonus" for sellers so that they can gain the 4.2 million gun owners in CA as an audience. Compliance is like MA with an approved roster. They have other vitals such as magazine disconnect and 10rd capacity max, but that's moot for revolvers. It's all a farce.

I believe California has additional engravings required by law on their guns before they leave the factory.

Do a little research first. It would be a pity to receive a gun defaced with extra markings.

When I went to the Ruger website to look at revolvers, they had special categories for CA Compliant and MA Compliant. Many perfectly fine revolvers are NOT on the MA-approved roster, and I suspect the same is true for CA. You're apparently looking at a revolver that IS on Cali's approved list. Just make sure it's also on the MA roster or an FFL won't be able to transfer it to you.

I'm in Maine. I can get anything.

I'm merely price shopping and saw these for a much lower price, but saw the compliance note and was wondering what the difference could be on a revolver that is currently being made today, as compared to one that isn't CA compliant.
In this case there is probably no difference.

RC

I believe California has additional engravings required by law on their guns before they leave the factory.

Do a little research first. It would be a pity to receive a gun defaced with extra markings.
no

Everybody has a different price on this model.
At least $30 cheaper. And of course 1 stock photo.

RC
what is the sku? SKU is everything. if the sku is the same the gun is the same (with rare exceptions most manufacturers are not dumb enough to make two different guns under the same sku # )

retail 101 kids

As of January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Additional information on the Roster of Certified Handguns can be found at California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 4070.

Source: https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search

(a) Within ten (10) days of the receipt of the Compliance Test Report, Form BOF 021 (Rev. 01/2012), and one prototype handgun, from the DOJ-Certified Laboratory; and the receipt of the initial annual listing fee from the manufacturer/importer, the DOJ will determine whether the handgun is not unsafe and may be sold in California. After the determination that the model may be listed, the DOJ will add the handgun model to the Roster of Certified Handguns. The listing will be valid for one year from the date the model was added to the Roster, and shall be renewed as set forth in section 4071 of these regulations.

Source: View Document - California Code of Regulations

As of January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Additional information on the Roster of Certified Handguns can be found at California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 4070.

Source: Handguns Certified for Sale

(a) Within ten (10) days of the receipt of the Compliance Test Report, Form BOF 021 (Rev. 01/2012), and one prototype handgun, from the DOJ-Certified Laboratory; and the receipt of the initial annual listing fee from the manufacturer/importer, the DOJ will determine whether the handgun is not unsafe and may be sold in California. After the determination that the model may be listed, the DOJ will add the handgun model to the Roster of Certified Handguns. The listing will be valid for one year from the date the model was added to the Roster, and shall be renewed as set forth in section 4071 of these regulations.

Source: View Document - California Code of Regulations
Wow[shocked]
Cant be "...lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale..." That sounds like if you owned a non-approved handgun when the law was enacted you are stuck with it.

Why is his ethnicity a factor in this? :p
In 2022, in told it's a factor in everything. ;)
Wow[shocked]
Cant be "...lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale..." That sounds like if you owned a non-approved handgun when the law was enacted you are stuck with it.
I could be wrong, pretty sure they "allow" it to be sold out of state. That said, your reading could be right...

Wow[shocked]

Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.
Thanks for fixing my pre-coffee reading comprehension issue.

My interpretation wouldn't have surprised me. When I lived in CA I knew a U.S. citizen that immigrated from Britain. He bought a single-shot, bolt action Barrett .50 a month before CA classified any 50BMG as an Assault Weapon. Out of state transfer is his only option. He couldn't even let his kid inherit it, in state. He also can't leave it with a gunsmith that doesn't have a CA assault weapon permit.

Back
Top Bottom